PDA

View Full Version : How Exactly does one get in the Car Sales Business?

TNation
02-28-2007, 01:39 AM
This may obv. sound noobish, but how does one get in the car sales business? Are University degrees required? If so, a marketing degree or what type of degree? Or is car sales based more on training by managers and operational instruction? Obviously Car knowledge is an asset, yet is their a mechanical type course required?
Are the smaller no-name assorted-vehicle dealerships requirements for a car salesman different from the BMW Gallery and Stampede Nissan requirements?
just out of curiousity, does anyone know these questions!!

jdmXSI
02-28-2007, 01:48 AM
I am in the Car business, there is no real requirements to get in. I lucked out, at first i sold Honda's and moved up from there.

If you know how to sell, you will probably get the job. If you want some recomondations PM me and i would be more than happy to help you out:thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
02-28-2007, 09:00 AM
If you want to work at a domestic car dealer, you need to be 50+, a smoker, unfamiliar with the product, own a leather jacket, and enjoy long hours outside leaning up against the side of the dealership, ready to pounce on anyone looking remotely interested (or not).

All joking aside, as mentioned above you don't NEED anything but I'm sure schooling would help, or some understanding of the industry. I believe in Toronto there is a program you can take that is specifically for people becoming a car salesperson.

I've visited alot of dealers and the the majority of the sales staff (that we've delt with anyways) know very little, seem to know nothing at all about cars, and often make me wonder how they got the job. At BMW we delt with a girl (very nice though), who was brought from BMW's call center or something like that and made into a salesperson. So pretty much anyone can do it. I've never seen any of the good dealerships advertise for hiring though so maybe you need to go in there and talk to the manager and tell him why you should be hired.

The only thing though is that some dealers make you play by their selling rules, which may conflict with your morals/practices/whatever so that is just something to consider. I personally am of the opinion that people should be fully educated, and then left to their own device, perhaps followed up on a week or 2 later, and not heavily pressured to buy. They will come back if they want the car and like how they were treated. This is 100% opposite of most dealers, and especially domestic dealers, just from my experience anyways.

Also, sell something you believe in as you will feel much better about convincing someone to buy that car than something you know is a POS.

Just my thoughts.

QuasarCav
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If you want to work at a domestic car dealer, you need to be 50+, a smoker, unfamiliar with the product, own a leather jacket, and enjoy long hours outside leaning up against the side of the dealership, ready to pounce on anyone looking remotely interested (or not).

Right on the money!

slick2404
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM

GOLDEN!!:rofl:

alloroc
02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Just drive down to Vegas and see Chop Yo!

TNation
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM

All joking aside, as mentioned above you don't NEED anything but I'm sure schooling would help, or some understanding of the industry. I believe in Toronto there is a program you can take that is specifically for people becoming a car salesperson.

I've visited alot of dealers and the the majority of the sales staff (that we've delt with anyways) know very little, seem to know nothing at all about cars, and often make me wonder how they got the job. At BMW we delt with a girl (very nice though), who was brought from BMW's call center or something like that and made into a salesperson. So pretty much anyone can do it. I've never seen any of the good dealerships advertise for hiring though so maybe you need to go in there and talk to the manager and tell him why you should be hired.

The only thing though is that some dealers make you play by their selling rules, which may conflict with your morals/practices/whatever so that is just something to consider. I personally am of the opinion that people should be fully educated, and then left to their own device, perhaps followed up on a week or 2 later, and not heavily pressured to buy. They will come back if they want the car and like how they were treated. This is 100% opposite of most dealers, and especially domestic dealers, just from my experience anyways.

Also, sell something you believe in as you will feel much better about convincing someone to buy that car than something you know is a POS.

Just my thoughts.

ah I see... I mean having a University degree would help most likely no? and do car salesman only work full time? like could one work part time selling cars or what?

D. Dub
02-28-2007, 10:59 AM
If you want to work at ANY car dealer, you need to be 50+, a smoker, unfamiliar with the product, own a leather jacket, and enjoy long hours outside leaning up against the side of the dealership, ready to pounce on anyone looking remotely interested (or not).

Fixed your post :D

Super_Geo
02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
You have a university degree and want to be a car salesman? :dunno:

IMO car salesmen are the least respected type of salesmen...

dennisaur
02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
got a buddy who worked at mazda and he got to be a salesman after working outside in the lot, so no experience necessary really

Mitsu3000gt
02-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Fixed your post :D

Hahahah thanks. Although I do find this stereotype to be much less prominent at higher end dealers, especially the German cars.

Mitsu3000gt
02-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by TNation

ah I see... I mean having a University degree would help most likely no? and do car salesman only work full time? like could one work part time selling cars or what?

I would bet most people who sells cars don't have a University degree, but the managers may have a degree in business. I am really not 100% sure what they look for but it can't be much judging by most people who sell cars.

I know some salesmen who work part time. I am not sure what the majority do.

Whitetiger
02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
SAIT actually has an automotive marketing program.

RUQUIKR
02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
SAIT actually has an automotive marketing program.

Not woth the time, out of 4 guys I worked with who took similiar courses none of them are in sales anymore. Just give it a try, most dealers are fine with no experience.

TNation
02-28-2007, 01:18 PM
how much do car salesman pull in ? like nothing at a Nissan/Honda dealership and much more at a BMW dealership?

hjr
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
depends on your skillz brotha. you can make a killing at a chevy dealer and fail at bmw.

GTS Jeff
02-28-2007, 06:17 PM
You need a nutrition degree to become a car salesman. :rolleyes:

Mitsu3000gt
02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
how much do car salesman pull in ? like nothing at a Nissan/Honda dealership and much more at a BMW dealership?

Depends on volume basically. Pick a brand that people actually buy (stay away from domestics unless you can sell trucks). BMW is very high volume, so is Infinity, and Honda, etc. etc. Then, you have to be good at sales which is up to you. As I said before, if you believe in the product your selling, you will have a much easier time getting it done, and customers can tell. When the G35 came out I don't think anyone at infinity had to do a damn thing haha, they sold every single one they had for the first while.

TNation
03-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Depends on volume basically. Pick a brand that people actually buy (stay away from domestics unless you can sell trucks). BMW is very high volume, so is Infinity, and Honda, etc. etc. Then, you have to be good at sales which is up to you. As I said before, if you believe in the product your selling, you will have a much easier time getting it done, and customers can tell. When the G35 came out I don't think anyone at infinity had to do a damn thing haha, they sold every single one they had for the first while.
haha yeah when I bought mine, I didn't even talk to a salesguy even. They just looked so damn good! :D

HiSpec
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
About the "make you play by their selling rules" as previously mentioned... Sometimes I wonder how a salesman can even do that. Knowing that if they walk into a dealership they would want the salesman to be 100% honest with you. But yet when you are a salesman, you'll try to sneak in little tricks thats against your own moral just to get a sale.
I mean sure, you might get the honour of being "salesman of the year". But then you are on the biggest guilty trip through out the entire year, because you've just tricked your way through all the sales.

lexIS300
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
i read a article online about some dude doing an experiment on car dealerships and he said he just went into the interview and said i want to make money and they hired him with no experience

rc2002
03-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Depends on the dealership. I know some dealerships work solely on commission. Others have a base salary + commission. It all varies - commission is higher on a higher end car, but volume of sales is lower and vice versa.

TNation
03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
yeah but so its agreed a University degree will not help really unless its going for management?

alloroc
03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Some post secondary may help on the buisiness/financing end.

Looks like some ties to the slave trade / black market may also be an asset ..
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166989

The Cosworth
03-01-2007, 02:18 PM

:rofl:
CROWFOOT FORD TO A T!

to the OP I would think if you went in nicely dressed and asked to see the sales manager and asked him that it would probably help and you might get a job

Calgarian
03-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Very interesting responses. If you are truly interested in a sales position I'd suggest you come and visit with myself and I'll answer any questions you might have. I'm the GSM at T&T Honda. You can reach me at 291-1444.....Ian

brandon
03-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Calgarian
Very interesting responses. If you are truly interested in a sales position I'd suggest you come and visit with myself and I'll answer any questions you might have. I'm the GSM at T&T Honda. You can reach me at 291-1444.....Ian

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Truely a great guy to work for!!

TorqueDog
03-04-2007, 03:47 PM
I did the sales thing for three years back in Winnipeg. Made some great coin doing it, met a lot of great people, and enjoyed my work. Plus, I got to toy around with brand new cars, and being a car guy, it's bloody good fun with some of 'em. When the new Mustang GTs came out in 2005, I had two for demos... one yellow coupe with black racing stripes and Shelby scoops, and later on a red one with tinted windows. Both manual gearbox cars.

The guys who have to lie to sell are they guys who stick around for a few months, then go into a different line of work. Only reason I left was to move here and go into the field I was destined for; Information Technology.

For what it's worth, I think being in car sales made me a better person overall. I was a quiet newb when I first started, but it really taught me how to talk to people. Got me out of my shell. Plus, it opens your eyes to a new perspective... like maybe that car salesman isn't such a bad guy after all... he's like you, me and everyone else; putting food on the table.

TNation
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
so I should wear a suit and just go in and apply at the customers sales desk?

TorqueDog
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM
A suit is optional, depending on what brand/store you're considering. High end stores will appreciate the suit. But high end stores may not consider you without experience and a proven track record of performance.

Wear a nice shirt and tie (leave the Bugs Bunny tie at home), some dress pants, and dress shoes. Be presentable, be enthusiastic... but most importantly, be yourself.

Go to the girl at the front desk, be very nice to her, and ask to speak to someone about open positions on the sales floor. You're on your own from there.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2007, 05:18 PM
I have absolutely no respect for any dealer who lies to people by telling them the ~$300 "admin fee" isn't a 100% money grab. Not only that, but you find out about it only after you sit down to sign the bill of sale, and it is tacked on to the price you already decided on. I am unable to lie to someone's face, which is why it would be difficult for me to sell cars from most dealers.

One dealer that does not have this is Platinum Motors. They are good people over there too.

barbarian
03-04-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure, but based on some of the salesmen I've dealt with, I'd say about 50% must sign a contract with Lucifer.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
I'm not sure, but based on some of the salesmen I've dealt with, I'd say about 50% must sign a contract with Lucifer.

haha i think your right.

TNation
03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks guys for all the responses.
I'll give it a try tomorrow and if anyone wants to know how it goes they can PM me.
<3 Tyler

TorqueDog
03-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, admin fees are a money grab, won't argue there.

By the same token, with many services, you pay a setup fee, or admin fee as well.

Hell, when Future Shop had a 24 month 0% finance program for certain electronics (laptops, stereos, etc.), they charged a $99 administration fee. For argument's sake, let's say that's $100. I bought a $1,000 notebook PC. So that's a 10% surcharge right there.

Considering that a documentation fee of ~$300 on a $35,000 new vehicle is less than 1% (and that the fee does not go up with the price of the vehicle)... I personally don't think it's a big deal. And when you consider that most people finance over a 60 month term, it's roughly $5 a month plus your taxes and interest on the loan.

Call me a "high roller" :rolleyes: but my time is more important to me than to dicker over the $300 they're asking, when I already got WAY more than that off of sticker price. [shrug]

sneek
03-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Calgarian
Very interesting responses. If you are truly interested in a sales position I'd suggest you come and visit with myself and I'll answer any questions you might have. I'm the GSM at T&amp;T Honda. You can reach me at 291-1444.....Ian

LOL you sold me/ my dad and Accord! Did you only become GSM recently.

Calgarian
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Moved from Sales Manager to GSM in Feb.

Calgarian
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by brandon

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Truely a great guy to work for!!

Where are you? Give me a shout when you get some time.

ScottysZ
03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Obviously Car knowledge is an asset, yet is their a mechanical type course required?

:rofl: I dont mean to be an ass, but youve never bought a new car have you? Im not saying none of them know what theyre talking about, but sometimes it seems like youre just better off to smash your head against a wall for an hour then lube up and bend over.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ScottysZ
:rofl: I dont mean to be an ass, but youve never bought a new car have you? Im not saying none of them know what theyre talking about, but sometimes it seems like youre just better off to smash your head against a wall for an hour then lube up and bend over. I have, and the guy I talked to knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. I know because I asked him loaded questions that some random fly-by-night salesman wouldn't know. "What kind of axle does the vehicle come with?" is a good one, because most guys have no idea what the hell a Dana44 is unless they look it up and KNOW THEIR PRODUCT.

Don't paint all the people in the industry with the same brush. There are imbeciles in every business.

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I have, and the guy I talked to knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. I know because I asked him loaded questions that some random fly-by-night salesman wouldn't know. &quot;What kind of axle does the vehicle come with?&quot; is a good one, because most guys have no idea what the hell a Dana44 is unless they look it up and KNOW THEIR PRODUCT.

Don't paint all the people in the industry with the same brush. There are imbeciles in every business.

I've delt with easily 150+ salesmen, and I would say 80% or so of them don't know their product very well and I know a lot more about it than they do. I find at the higher end car dealers such as audi/bmw/mb the salespeople are more educated. I've had a lot of them sit in the back seat while I'm driving flipping through the car's brochure to find things to tell me or answer my questions with.

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, admin fees are a money grab, won't argue there.

By the same token, with many services, you pay a setup fee, or admin fee as well.

Hell, when Future Shop had a 24 month 0% finance program for certain electronics (laptops, stereos, etc.), they charged a $99 administration fee. For argument's sake, let's say that's $100. I bought a $1,000 notebook PC. So that's a 10% surcharge right there.

Considering that a documentation fee of ~$300 on a $35,000 new vehicle is less than 1% (and that the fee does not go up with the price of the vehicle)... I personally don't think it's a big deal. And when you consider that most people finance over a 60 month term, it's roughly $5 a month plus your taxes and interest on the loan.

Call me a &quot;high roller&quot; :rolleyes: but my time is more important to me than to dicker over the $300 they're asking, when I already got WAY more than that off of sticker price. [shrug]

For me it's more the principle of it. Would you go hand a guy on the street $300? No, you probably wouldn't, and that is precisely what you doing at the dealer. Also, you agree on a price, then you sit down and they slap this fee on. That's not how business should be done. Also, it is not time consuming. You stand up, head for the door, and within 5 seconds you have saved yourself $300. There's no dickering involved. Because it is 100% gravy, they will happily remove that fee if it will cost them the sale. Thats my outlook on it anyways. I agree it's not much but the money isn't everything.

TNation
03-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Mitsu3000GT is probably the most nicest and most educated guy on beyond.ca

if I was a girl I'd be all over him :hitit:
where's Ashee at?

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 01:47 AM
Mitsu3000GT is probably the most nicest and most educated guy on beyond.ca

if I was a girl I'd be all over him :hitit:
where's Ashee at?

lol wow, I don't think I'd go as far as saying that. I learn stuff from other people on here probably on a daily basis :thumbsup:

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Mitsu3000gt, the dealership always gets their "Doc. fee"... instead of you paying it, they take it out of the commissionable gross profit that the sales guy would get paid off of. So the dealership that probably makes huge money for its owners gets its money either way, and the sales guy busting his ass makes... sweet nothing?

Personally, I think a business (and in this case, the employee) should be allowed to make a profit. You don't go to work to work for free, do you?

EDIT: In regards to your comments about higher end brand salespeople knowing their stuff, I had a very good experience when I first started shopping for a car in October. The guy at BMW Gallery in Crowfoot that I dealt with was excellent, and would definitely recommend him. I believe Paul was his name.

Besides, when you're paying almost six figures for a car, you would expect competent help, wouldn't you? :)

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Mitsu3000gt, the dealership always gets their &quot;Doc. fee&quot;... instead of you paying it, they take it out of the commissionable gross profit that the sales guy would get paid off of.

Personally, I think a business should be allowed to make a profit. You don't go to work to work for free, do you?

No, but I've had salesmen even tell me it is 100% profit and it doesn't matter of they get it or not. They make more money than that $300 so they would not at all be working for free. They already mark up the cars a huge amount, especially the used ones they all pull out of Quebec. I've also read so in car magazines where they've interviewed retired car salesmen and such. Also, there a dealers in Calgary who do not have this fee. Every single dealer has a totally different set of excuses for why this fee should be paid. I've heard it all. If we decide on a price, that is the price that should be paid, none of this "oh, and there will be $300 of general admin added" seconds before I sign the bill of sale. I just totally disagree with it, because of how it is always presented and that I know it is 100% profit. I agree with you that the money is insignificant on a huge car purchase but it is an unnecessary straight up money grab. If this fee was $2000, would you still agree with paying it because if you didn't, it would come out of the salesman's pocket, and they should be allowed to make massive profits? they are making a HUGE profit on you already.

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 02:06 AM

EDIT: In regards to your comments about higher end brand salespeople knowing their stuff, I had a very good experience when I first started shopping for a car in October. The guy at BMW Gallery in Crowfoot that I dealt with was excellent, and would definitely recommend him. I believe Paul was his name.

Besides, when you're paying almost six figures for a car, you would expect competent help, wouldn't you? :)

I would have to agree, both Calgary BMW and BMW Gallery have treated me extremely well, with the education over pressure sort of approach. If they weren't the most expensive place to buy a used BMW in Calgary I would of given them my business by now. Prices are high but A+ for the service/staff.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 02:07 AM
I was a Sales Manager at one point in time, so I know how the doc. fee thing works. The sales guys will never see the back end accounting that takes the doc. fee out of their gross. Those that do are privileged (and usually a little pissy once they find out).

But yeah, so let's say you've dealt the sales guy down to the point where there's $800 of gross profit left in the deal. That is what the sales guy gets a percentage of. Then there's hold-back below that, usually another $800 or so that the sales guy will NEVER see a percentage of.

Let's say the pay scale pays the sales guy 30% of gross or a flat $200, whichever is more. 30% is $240, which is crap to begin with. Now you go and demand the $300 doc. fee be removed. The doc. fee is now subtracted from the gross so the dealership still gets it. So that $800 gross profit is now only $500. What's 30% of $500? Not enough to be paid a percentage of, so now he gets a flat $200.

Let's say this is a $40,000 vehicle (not uncommon)... the guy made $200 on a $40,000 car... I think that's piss for someone to make on a big ticket item like that.

I like supporting people who do good work, and go the extra mile to help me get what I want. Then again, I've got a different perspective, because I've been on both sides of the sales contract. I've been the guy trying to make ends meet, pay the rent, etc. And I've been the guy buying the car.

Like I said, $300 is peanuts on a brand new car these days.

sjaswal
03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
if you can screw over your family and friends and be guilt-free, you'll have no problem in sales.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
By your standards, sjaswal, I should have done a piss poor job in sales. I usually walked friends and family though the process of getting a huge-ass discount.

Redlyne_mr2
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Times are changing guys, the dealerships who treat their customers like garbage are the ones who arent making the amount of money they could be making if they were more focused on their CSI. True there are some sleaze balls out there but what industry doesnt have people like that? Calgary is a great place to be in car sales just because the market is so strong right now. Remember to save what you make though, I know lots of sales people who make 100-150K per year but unfortunately they live just as fast as they make the money and dont have 2 bucks for a coffee.

Calgarian
03-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by sjaswal
if you can screw over your family and friends and be guilt-free, you'll have no problem in sales. ,

I'd suggest you clue yourself in before you rattle of any more crap.

ScottysZ
03-07-2007, 11:56 AM

I didn't say they were all stupid. If youd care to read my post again youd see that I said: "Im not saying none of them know what theyre talking about, but..."