PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Eclipse question

k_dawg
05-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering why there aren't alot of talk about the eclipses on the forum? What do you guys think of them? Are they good cars? Thanks.

RiceCake
05-29-2003, 12:01 AM
What generation are you referring to? The new ones with the v6, or the older ones with the turbo I4?

DSMer4Life
05-29-2003, 09:57 AM
The biggest reason for little to no talk about the Eclipse on this board is probably due to the fact that there were never any Eclipses sold in Calgary, until this year, which is the third generation Eclipse. The Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser however, were sold here in Canada since the 1990 model year. They are basically the same car with different body moulding and badging.

The first two generations of DSM (Diamond Star Motors) were available with a 2.0L transverse-mounted four cylinder engine that was turbocharged and intercooled. The first generation was rated at 195hp 203lbs/ft and the second at 210hp (not sure of torque #). This new third generation Eclipse is not available with a turbo, only a four banger, or V6. Some consider it to be less "tuner" friendly, but as time goes by, the aftermarket scene will definitely develop performance parts for this car. Still, it's usually easier to modify a turbocharged vehicle, which is why IMHO, the older DSMs have a larger following. They've also been around for over thirteen years now.

The third generation Eclipse is not considered a DSM either as it is wholey built by Mitsubishi, where as the first and second generations were a joint effort between Mitsubishi and Chrysler and were all built in the same plant in Normal, Illinois, USA. These are the only true DSMs.

So, enough babble. Not sure if anyone cares to read all that, but I just thought I'd share what I know. What do I think of them? Well I'm on my second one. Basically, I consider it the best bang-for-the-buck car to modify. However, if you don't like maintenance, then I'm not sure if this is the car for you. As with any forced-induction engine, it requires extra maintenance. Throw in all wheel drive and now there's just that much more to maintain. Timing belts have a tendancy to go and take out the head usually. The transfer case on the awd models leaks and is under a recall. No one knows how to fix them right the first time :banghead: Previous owners sometimes didn't let the turbo warm up and cool down and you end up witht a tired turbo. Boost leaks develop and need to be found and fixed. Not to mention you have to run at LEAST 91 octane in these puppies. But I wouldn't have it any other way :D When I launch from a light, ah, I mean at the track, and my wipers turn on from the pure jolt of torque, I'm free...:tongue:

Oh, and if you want to check out a couple sites where fellow Canadians do nothing but talk about these cars, try these links out:
http://calgdsm.proboards14.com/index.cgi
http://www.ca.dsm.org/
:thumbsup:

4G63Power
05-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Well DSMer4Life basically summed everything yup....so...:poosie:

k_dawg
05-30-2003, 09:51 PM
thanks for all the replys guys. DSMer4Life
i learned alot from your info. Thanks for sharing it with me i really apperciate it.

DSMer4Life
05-31-2003, 11:07 AM
You're welcome!

DSM Power
05-31-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by DSMer4Life

What do I think of them? Well I'm on my second one. Basically, I consider it the best bang-for-the-buck car to modify. However, if you don't like maintenance, then I'm not sure if this is the car for you.
Spoken like a true DSMer4life ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

slick68
08-12-2004, 11:15 PM
sorry to hijack a post here but i figured that you guys would be the ones to ask. i do have a wtb ad however.

anyway i am looking for a head off of a 95-99 N/A eclipse or talon.

TYIA

Chris:guns:

slick68
08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
hhmmm...hope you guys get this...hahaha...i just noticed how old this post is

4G63Power
08-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by slick68
hhmmm...hope you guys get this...hahaha...i just noticed how old this post is

This post is so old, that I don't even own a talon anymore...hahaha