PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning polished aluminuim with solvent

RUQUIKR
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I have a hand full of polished aluminuim pieces that have water marks on them I can't seem to polish out. Has anybody used a solvent to clean finished aluminuim? I don't want to accidentally ruin a piece by using something to corrosive.

mikemechanic
03-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Are the parts cleared over? If they are solvent may eat into the clear. If they are bare aluminum then my recommendation would be Autosol. Great stuff to have around anyways.

Mike.

Ichigo
03-01-2007, 06:34 PM
i would try metal/aluminum polish.. the stuff that works for me is eagle one mag polish. I forgot how much it goes for. That brings old surfaces to a shine, so it should remove water marks with ease.

Edit: What polish are you using?

RUQUIKR
03-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a lot polishes availabe to me from our detail dept. I usually use mothers alum polish. The problem is my intkae has been splashed well hot and the water left crazy tough water spots that won't polish out. BTW it's polished alum with no clear coat on it.

sneek
03-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Why not try a wheel cleaner?

RUQUIKR
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by sneek
Why not try a wheel cleaner?

Tried a few. Not strong enough.

Calgarydetail
03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR

Tried a few. Not strong enough.

give p21s gell wheel cleaner a try. Sray some one and use a brush to get into the tight spaces, rinse off. Spray another coat on and let is sit while you wash the car (30 min is best). This should take anything you have off the rims

RUQUIKR
03-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Calgarydetail

give p21s gell wheel cleaner a try. Sray some one and use a brush to get into the tight spaces, rinse off. Spray another coat on and let is sit while you wash the car (30 min is best). This should take anything you have off the rims

Ok, I'llk give that a try. Where can you pick up some of this p21 gel?

Calgarydetail
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR

Ok, I'llk give that a try. Where can you pick up some of this p21 gel?

i dont know anywhere localy, you can order it from eshine.ca or autogeek.net.

eshine is canadian and they should have it on sale now. Chris is a great guy, just let him know i sent you an dhe will take care.
Also make sure youget the gell, its a little bit stronger and works alot better

lint
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
ever try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser? Takes some elbow grease, but that thing is magical.

sneek
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
:P what you can do it call the Harley dealer, and ask if they have S100 wheel cleaner.

:P the P21s line is identical to the S100. I just don't think that the P21s label is worth the 15$ premium.

What I would try next is a light Metal Polish...try NXT metal polish, you can get it from NAPA or the car salon. It around $8 and it does a pretty good job on metals. ^ yes a Magic Eraser might work as well. You can get them pretty cheap so i guess its worth a shot.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you polishing?

RUQUIKR
03-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by sneek
:P

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you polishing?

I have a Injen intake, valve cover, fuse box cover, intercooler pipes that need to be done. Everything but the pipes are polished alum just have gotten dirty over the last year.

sneek
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
hmmm, i have an idea...but if i tell you it is definitely not my fault if you mess up everything.

mmk get a cordless drill, mothers power ball mini, and power metal....go to town. I'm not a real big mothers user, so i don't know if this stuff is any good.

sneek
03-09-2007, 10:44 AM
One more thing. P21S has something called polishing soap. I forgot the name of the soap under S100, but it looks like a yellow sponge.