PDA

View Full Version : Infrared Garage Heaters

msommers
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Just planning things for the new house. Step dad wants a shop to work in, and of course -30 working on the car is such a joy!

We only found a few options:

Heater/furnace
infrared heating
Floor heating

The impression that my folks are getting is that infrared is the way to go.

Reason being:
1) It doesn't leave the garage heated the whole time when no one is out there

2) Heats up tools the fastest

3) Heat radiates off of tools and disperses out, heating the whole garage up faster from start up

Anyone used this type of heating or know more about it that would like to share?

teggypimp95
03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Infrared heaters are good, i have one, but they dont really heat up the whole garage. Just pretty much where there pointed. I larger space heater would be better. I just have an infared that i just point at me to keep me warm. But it doesent really heat up the garage much.

DRKM
03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Both the space heater and "infared heater" are both the same thing. Heaters give off electromagnetic radiation. The only differnece is how they focus the radiation. A space heater will do the same thing ei: heat will radiate off of things, heat up tools, ect. the only difference is that you point a one in a specific direction. ei, there is a larger temp gradient that deceases when you are farther away.

If you want to heat up tools put them closer to the space heater.

Summing up
If you want to heat up the whole room in an effiecent manner use a space heater. If you want just you and your tools to be warm use the "infared heater"...

teggypimp95
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
[i]Summing up
If you want to heat up the whole room in an effiecent manner use a space heater. If you want just you and your tools to be warm use the "infared heater"... [/B]

Yeah exactly what i was getting at.

JRSC00LUDE
03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Isn't EnRich the guy to ask about these? I thought that's what he did. :dunno:

msommers
03-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to pass along the info. I think infrared would be the way to go as cold tools was one of the main things he mentioned he didn't want to deal with.

As for the Calcana heaters, apparently they have something against them because I brought it up. I guess on more than one occassion at car/motorcycle shows, these guys have been really pushy to them and almost to the point to annoying. Enrich, this has nothing to do with you personally, unless you are that pushy bastard at car shows that no one likes that says things like "well you're only going to get a price like this today, never again, I guarantee it" :rofl:

I'm the same way. I'd pay more when dealing with a good salesman rather than some pushy guy desperate to sell something for less.

Cword
03-02-2007, 01:34 PM
If it's a new build, heat the floor. It's worth it. If you're worried about heating that space year round then thermostat it round about 5-10 C.
A 10 degree heated floor shop feels warmer than a room temp "air heated" shop.

EnRich
03-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to pass along the info. I think infrared would be the way to go as cold tools was one of the main things he mentioned he didn't want to deal with.

As for the Calcana heaters, apparently they have something against them because I brought it up. I guess on more than one occassion at car/motorcycle shows, these guys have been really pushy to them and almost to the point to annoying. Enrich, this has nothing to do with you personally, unless you are that pushy bastard at car shows that no one likes that says things like "well you're only going to get a price like this today, never again, I guarantee it" :rofl:

I'm the same way. I'd pay more when dealing with a good salesman rather than some pushy guy desperate to sell something for less.

lol nope, that would be me. but its true man. I save my best discount sale prices for the WoW's shows. I had 10 ppl call me monday after the WoW. My boss wouldn't allow me to sell em at discount price after the WoW. Consider this. I sold ALOT of heaters at WoW this year. Ppl get a major incentive to buy at the show, and they do so cause its a great deal. I'd get junked at the next WoW if I offered the same discount prices the next day/week/month. right? I'm sick of hearing the word sale. I mean its every where. Quite honestly it means nothing anymore. When Calcana holds a sale, you better believe its a great deal. The WoW show was a great deal. On monday, my customers paid 200-400 more for the same product. Let me know if I can help your parents out. Going with someone else just wouldnt make sense, all the other stuff is made in Mexico, or Ontario. What are they gonna do for parts/service when the unit fails? My stuff is all built in Calgary.

sputnik
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
IMO if you are planning to work in the garage on a daily basis you are better off with in-slab heating. In-slab keeps the floor warm makes working in the garage much more comfortable.

Overhead heating is fine for working in the garage once and a while.

msommers
03-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
lol nope, that would be me.

I highly doubt then that they would even consider buying Calcana. No offense but pushy salespeople go over like a lead balloon with our family.

alloroc
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Sorry but you can count me out as well.

EnRich
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I highly doubt then that they would even consider buying Calcana. No offense but pushy salespeople go over like a lead balloon with our family.

lol, thats ok, just make sure you buy two. one for now, one for when it breaks down. ;)

msommers
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by EnRich

lol, thats ok, just make sure you buy two. one for now, one for when it breaks down. ;)

lol spoken like a true salesman:rofl: