PDA

View Full Version : Learning to ride...

Carl2tan
05-29-2003, 03:33 AM
I've never sat on a bike before (dont laugh) I was wondering your opinions of some good bike schools in calgary. I signed up for lessons from a place called "Too Cool Motorcycle School" Sounds kind of funny eh? well with this class I get to start out on a Ninja250 (should be just right for me) they siad I'll do fine because I know how to ride a pedal bike, and I kknow how to drive a car with a manual transmision. I hope they're right. Anyways, just wondering what you guys who know about bikes suggest.

Khyron
05-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Is it a full 2 day road course with all the obstacles etc? Do they do the test at the end of the course?

I went with A Driving school on Memorial - was great.

Khyron

boi-alien
05-29-2003, 01:52 PM
too cool gets the :thumbsup: from me

Carl2tan
05-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Yeah, actually the couse consists of one day of in class learning and theorey. Then we get four days of actuall on lot and road training. We get tested on the sixth and final day. I'll only need a skills test because I already have a class 5 so there is no need for the road test.

Khyron - what school did you take on memorial? where they any good?

AzN_SoL
05-31-2003, 02:06 AM
too cools was pretty good.. no complaints here... well hmm.. maybe just one.. but thats a person issue.. heh

Shaolin
05-31-2003, 02:16 AM
The instructors from A Driving School on Memorial started their own "Too Cool..."

YCB
05-31-2003, 08:40 PM
im doin calgary safety council, they have more open times, but i dunno about their instructions..

Lambo Man
06-01-2003, 08:59 AM
I got my license like a week before the new rules came into affect. Do i have to wait a year if i wanna get my class 6??? :dunno:

I got no idea what i gotta do now lol

AzN_SoL
06-01-2003, 01:56 PM
nah man .. you dont apply to the new rules as long as you have your class 5 before may 20th.. you can get your class 6 anytime..

Lambo Man
06-01-2003, 06:54 PM
sweet, but its better if you know how to drive a manual car right?

Stupid driving school!!!They wouldn't let me do manual, even though i wanted it, and I don't wanna end up spending another 300 on learning how to drive manual properly.

sin
06-01-2003, 07:38 PM
ahh stay away from "A Driving School" they were mine and creepers drivers ed teachers, and im fairly sure they went out of business as i never even got my last lesson

AzN_SoL
06-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Lambo Man

Stupid driving school!!!They wouldn't let me do manual, even though i wanted it, and I don't wanna end up spending another 300 on learning how to drive manual properly.

dude... just get one of your buddies to teach you ... or if you can get a hold of a car.. i'll teach you .. heh .. cause sure as hell wouldnt let anyone drive my car..

dogstar
06-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Lambo Man

go to a car dealership and talk to the salesperson...
tell em your looking to buy a manual trannied sporty car.

theyll be right happy to teach you how to drive a manual, in most cases, because they dont care about demos... this is why you never buy a demo.

if that fails, go talk to the lot attendants, or the detail shop guys, usually theyre pretty cool about it too.

Carl2tan
06-03-2003, 02:50 AM
Agreed,

I wouldnt spend any money on learning to drive a manual. I'm pretty sure you kow at least someone who owns a standard car. I'mpretty sure you can convince them to teach you. And yeah, once you lean how to work a clutch in a manual car, It'll be easy for you to work a cluth on a bike than if you didnt know how.

An excelent diagram of how a clutch works...
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

Anyways, I've heard from alot of riders that Too Cool is the best in calgary, I dont know, we'll soon find out...

Lambo Man
06-03-2003, 07:05 AM
thanks guys

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-05-2003, 11:05 PM
With the new GDL bullshit rules, I believe that as long as you hold a class 7 license that was aquired BEFORE may 20th, you can then go and get your class 6 probationary any time you want. Is this right?