PDA

View Full Version : Acura Legend 89, are the parts that expensive?

giantyogurt
03-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm looking for a cheap shitbox for commuting btw home and work and I came across an Acura Legend coupe 89 (manual) with just under 150K on it, which I think is unusually low. The seller says it was bought from Florida and had 2 winters in Calgary, so there's virtually no rust.

But I'm concerned about the parts that need to be replaced. First, the battery's dead, fuel filter's bad, both tachometer and speedometer are both dead and one of the power window's gone. I don't think the timing belt has been replaced.

I'm supposed to meet the seller on the weekend to check out the car but I can't test drive it since it's not in a safe condition to be run.

My question is, how much do you think the car is worth taking into account all the necessary repairs? My budget for a shitbox is $1500 and I hope to keep it for at least a couple of years before a major breakdown.

I appreciate any comments or opinions in advance.
Thank you.

ReasonOne
05-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Did you buy this Legend?

Deetz
05-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Very nice car, parts are NOT cheap though.

thanatos1111
05-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Batteries are cheap from Pick N' Pull... show up first thing in the morning and grab the battery tester from the front desk.

Fuel Filters are cheap from Canadian Tire.
Tach might be a bad connection but is usually easy to find
Speedo might just need a new gear, pull the old one out of the back of the tranny (usual location) and see if it's fuckered.... speedo cables are an easy fix too....
As for the power windows? Is it gone as in a window is smashed or will it not roll down? Not really a problem unless it's your driver's window and you order a lot of Tim Hortons coffee.... :)

I've always had beaters that wouldn't have a working tach or speedo, that's what beaters are though.... you beat on them til they break, then send em to the pile or part em out... the iron cycle of life.....

I'd still test drive it around the block to find out if there's any major problems with suspension/handling/engine problems. Offer him 1000 to start, barring any other problems you'd find. Bring booster cables to get it running.....

Mangina
05-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't pay anything until you can be sure of what's wrong with it.

BoS_DC2
05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
the motor for the power windows don't come cheap, brand new can run you up to $150 and a used one in good condition prob $50+labour.

Had to replace my driver side motor and I replaced it with some Honda Pilot one, lol...

Rx7
05-02-2007, 01:38 PM
the tach thingy is probably the ignition coil, those cars had the same engine as the accords and it was a common thing in the accords

Team_Mclaren
05-02-2007, 11:34 PM
dont know about the first gens, but for the secon gen, parts are pretty expensive imo... (compares to other hondas and mazdas at least). Its a bitch to work on... theres no room to o anyting.

I'm talking about 91-95 tho.