PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question - theft from vehicle

googe
03-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Just curious if anyone has experience dealing with a claim like this.

Scenario is, I have full coverage on a vehicle, as well as homeowners insurance. However, I am not living at the residence that has the coverage, though the insurance company isnt really aware of this. Not even the same province actually, my place in Alberta is covered but I live in Vancouver.

While parked in the underground parking for my place in Vancouver, a crackhead manages to break in and goes in through the sunroof of my car and steals a few things that are worth probably around $1500 - $2000. Probably none of which I have receipts for...but there are ways around that.

Im curious about what my options are for the contents. Obviously the sunroof will be covered under comprehensive.

And dont bother replying if youre just going to say "dont claim it because your insurance will go up" :)

The Cosworth
03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I dont think it should be a problem, just say you were staying with friends or something.

Not sure why it would be a problem with the insurance.

GL anyways

brandon
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I had my car broken into while living in B.C. but insured to my property in Alberta.. Insurance company is fine with it aslong as it's within a 3 month period since you have been back.

googe
03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Good to hear...I was back for New Year's so I'll go with that.

Even though I have a bundled policy, Im guessing that they will count the deductibles separately and not treat it as one claim...which would pretty much suck.

Speed_69
03-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry to break it to you but your sunroof is not covered under comprehensive coverage. If you look at your auto policy, like everyone else's, they have an endorsement called 13D (Limited Glass). You're going to have to buy a new $1g sunroof yourself, that's what glass insurance is for.

googe
03-03-2007, 06:14 PM
"Comprehensive coverage - Limited glass (No. 13d) (Alberta only)
This option works a little differently from other options. By choosing 13d Comprehensive coverage - Limited glass, you are not adding coverage to your policy, but taking some away! It limits the coverage on your car's windshield and glass from things like stone chips and cracks, but still provides coverage if your window is broken during a theft. Choosing this option can help reduce how much you pay for your insurance."

So, I should still be covered.

Thanks for the scare though. :)

Edit: Wait, now I wonder if that means during a theft OF the vehicle, or a theft FROM the vehicle...