PDA

View Full Version : What can you do with a Business Admin. Diploma?

Dayclone
03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
So I was wondering for all of you that have taken Business Administration at the MRC or CDI or U of C etc... what types of jobs can you get with a dipolma? or a applied degree?

Anything that pays quite abit? or like something to do with IT, or Oil and Gas?

Steve

WWJAI
03-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Depends what your major in the BA program is.

Dayclone
03-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Management

The Cosworth
03-04-2007, 01:34 PM
If you go to UofC you will end up in a a business type role, learning management that sort of thing.

If you go to CDI you will become a receptionist

If you go to SAIT you will become a receptionist

If you go to MRC, I have no clue

idriveabox
03-04-2007, 01:37 PM
If your in MRC you can transfer to UofL and get a real degree :thumbsup:

WWJAI
03-04-2007, 01:41 PM
If you go to SAIT, you can transfer to the U of L and get a real degree as well.

khtm
03-04-2007, 01:45 PM
McDonalds?

l8braker
03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm taking the Management diploma at Sait right now via correspondance, and havent' decided if i'm going to transfer to U of L. I've already started the planning stages for my own biz, and should be good to go later this year. I plan on being my own boss and run my own company for the rest of my life, so I don't really give a rats ass about any form of paper I can hang on my wall and admire.

I was going Full time at Sait until last April when I was offered a job at EnCana which I couldn't refuse.... A few student accountants, marketing here, but finance and management is when it gets tricky.

On a sidenote, brendandakharris, i'm sure your tounge was planted firmly in your cheek when you made the receptionist comment, but watch out because there are a ton of sharp people at the Sait program that could easily be your boss some day.

The Cosworth
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Well the receptionist at my firm is a graduate from sait, an exgirlfriend who went into the program became a receptionist, and I have 3 friends (guys) who couldnt get jobs so they are now going to UofL.

there are enough business degrees that diplomas arnt that good, you need to be a cut above and out of 600 students that can make it hard

Dayclone
03-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Perhaps they weren't top out of their class?

But it's like you said the only way to really make money is to own your own business... That's the way to go, or unless you have your own family runned business to take over then that's another way you can make good money in this world.

Steve

Lo)2enz0
03-04-2007, 02:14 PM
there is nothing you can do with the diploma. your going to have to transfer somewhere else in the end to actually get to be where you want

Foreign1
03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
haha you can do so much with your diploma its not even funny, were in calgary... there is a job around the corner, atop the building and underneath the ground, you just have to search and apply.

people who think otherwise are just playing "im better becuase i have a degree".

Dayclone
03-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Foreign1
haha you can do so much with your diploma its not even funny, were in calgary... there is a job around the corner, atop the building and underneath the ground, you just have to search and apply.

people who think otherwise are just playing "im better becuase i have a degree".

Great just what I needed a boost of confidence hehe....

Yeh I believe you can do a lot with a diploma but it takes awhile to climb that ladder to get to the top, I think experience is more supported in society now adays compared to bookworms...

Ever see that season of "The Apprentice" where they had like I think highschool drop outs vs professionals... and the drop outs or people with highschool diploma's made more money than the pro's....

The Cosworth
03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Foreign1

I dont disagree, im an electrical engineering technologist, i see it every day

search the engineer vs technologist thread, i defended techs to the death and almost had a heart attack, but I have seen very few cases of business diplomas getting you an amazing job with no prior or later schooling

Dayclone
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
electrical engineering technologist wow how many years did that take? and what post sec?

Technologist in any field has a lot of work I believe... because my gf's Mom is a pharmacutical technologist and it's hard @$$ work I must say... but pay is good.

The Cosworth
03-04-2007, 02:43 PM
2 years at SAIT

I had no problem finding a job, I am in my last semester, have had 4 offers to work for different companies, and am working part time at a firm downtown (im there now)

if you get into the right place you work along side engineers and there is a mutual respect that is great. Some place (Cough COLT Cough) take there techs and let them do the engineers dirty work.

Overall its good, if you want to learn practical skills and get to design and go and see the stuff get built become a tech, if you want to stamp paper (and yes make more money) than become an engineer

There are MANY more differences than this, but this is my view so far in a nutshell. Engineers are good at math by hand, were as I get to use Mathematica

Dayclone
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Sounds fun being a tech, but I'll stick strickly to business... and manage a company or own my own company.

Steve

Dayclone
04-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Bump again,

I would like some more opinions on what you can do with this diploma? Like oilfield stuff etc?

DUBBED
04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I have no doubt that there are plenty of entry level jobs in oil and gas for diploma students, but your career path is somewhat limited from that point on without further training. Basically unless you're the balls you're going to bounce around from company to company doing the same old shit.

I would definately try to think about starting a company of your own, you'll have much more success on your own that you would inside a corporation.

It comes down to being competitive in an extremely competitive job market, I'm talking about higher level oil and gas jobs, you just need to make yourself as attractive as possible. Don't sell yourself short and do a diploma just because you think it will be easy.

nickyh
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I graduated from the Business Admin program with a major in accounting, got a job doing Accounts Payable at an Oil & Gas firm.
Started to continue my education and pursue the applied degree program with the Acctg / IT focus, got into some systems analysis and took a General Accountant role.
Now I am finished the Applied Degree and I am one year away from my CGA designation, and my current boss (still working in O&G) is primping me to take over the business unit for management.

I've been lucky though and I've had bosses who have had faith in my potential. My plan is to move into more of a business analyst role if I don't succeed getting the unit supervisior role. I don't plan on sticking in accounting forever and having the IT background can take me into different areas of a company.

Super_Geo
04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
Overall its good, if you want to learn practical skills and get to design and go and see the stuff get built become a tech, if you want to stamp paper (and yes make more money) than become an engineer

Cause an engineer wouldn't learn partical skills, design, or see their designs get built.... right. :rolleyes:

PeterGTiR
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
If you can't find a job other than a receptionist job with a Business diploma, you're not trying hard enough or you're not willing to compromise. Every body has to start somewhere and if you're not willing to do data entry (accounts payables), you'll have a hard time finding a job.

The types of roles you'll get with a diploma are:
-bookkeeper
-accounts payables
-accounts receivables
-data entry

You'll get these jobs with no experience. Until you get experience, you won't be considered for anything else unless you know someone.

It will never pay well to begin with...

b_t
04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Do what I did, get the diploma from SAIT - you coast your first two years, then do U of L night courses working full time during the day so you get lots of experience, make the big bucks, and get your schooling too.

death_rabbits
04-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Your degree's not going to get you anything. But if you have a degree, you get can your self a million different jobs. Just apply to everywhere you can, and any job you think you can do, regardless of what type of people with what type of background generally take on those roles. As long as you have confidence in your abilities, there's tons of employers willing to hire you. Be creative; don't look at it like you're getting a degree to get a specific job that you're going to do for the rest of your life. This is a ridiculously linear and basic way of thinking. Nobody does the same job for their whole lives so do something that you enjoy and are good at. Get a degree that compliments you and your abilities, and finding a job you like will be no problem.

slick2404
04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by b_t
Do what I did, get the diploma from SAIT - you coast your first two years, then do U of L night courses working full time during the day so you get lots of experience, make the big bucks, and get your schooling too.

thats my plan.

The Cosworth
04-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Cause an engineer wouldn't learn partical skills, design, or see their designs get built.... right. :rolleyes:

Never said that, read more closely

We ONLY learn practical (minus the theory that is needed to understand the practical) where as an engineer learns both

b_t
04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by death_rabbits
Your degree's not going to get you anything. But if you have a degree, you get can your self a million different jobs.

Whaaa...?

hjr
04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
wa wa wee wa

Schwa
04-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by PeterGTiR
If you can't find a job other than a receptionist job with a Business diploma, you're not trying hard enough or you're not willing to compromise. Every body has to start somewhere and if you're not willing to do data entry (accounts payables), you'll have a hard time finding a job.

The types of roles you'll get with a diploma are:
-bookkeeper
-accounts payables
-accounts receivables
-data entry

You'll get these jobs with no experience. Until you get experience, you won't be considered for anything else unless you know someone.

It will never pay well to begin with...

My Gf is already doing this without a diploma, so tell me again, why this is useful?
How hard is it to train a monkey to punch numbers?

Canmorite
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
What I'm seeing is there are a lot more jobs available with a Diploma Vs. no Diploma, but higher education never hurts and employers look for that.

For example, a SAIT Diploma in Finance can land you a Financial Planner job straight out of school which is about 36-38K A year.

A BA in Finance (4yrs), with the CSC Course + a CFA (Certified Financial Analyst, 3 levels) opens a LOT of doors. I know a few CFAs and none make less then 200K.

WWJAI
04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
WTH...I'm graduating with a Business Admin diploma majoring in accounting with decent marks and I ain't finding any luck getting a job. I've applied to several places for entry level positions and I haven't even gotten any calls back. Maybe it's because I'm just looking for summer positions, not a permanent full time position and I have no experience. Or something wrong with my cover letter??:whipped:

bmeier
04-10-2007, 03:49 PM
where are you applying?

WWJAI
04-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
where are you applying?

Basically anywhere. I'm not only going towards accounting positions neither. I've applied for anything that is in an office environment since I realize a lot of ppl who hire for accounting positions have already done so for summer positions. Just anything I see that is office related (filing, etc), I've applied for. I've only gotten one call back and she said my interview went really well and she liked me..but I didn't get a call back afterwards.:(

Dayclone
04-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Well thanks for the insights guys, with Business it can go anywhere pretty much. I just have to take over my Dad's company... and have another job like a fun job in sales or something.

PeterGTiR
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Schwa

My Gf is already doing this without a diploma, so tell me again, why this is useful?
How hard is it to train a monkey to punch numbers?

It's useful because employers won't let your girlfriend move beyond the data entry role that she is currently in, without that schooling. They're much more likely to promote the girl with the diploma than a monkey girlfriend. And unless the employer is desperate, they'll wait around for a candidate with experience, but beggars can't be choosers.