PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Rugby!

adamc
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
anyone here play rugby?

I played from grade 6-12 and a bit after highschool, loved it to death, but my job keeps me away from home, so I haven't had the time to join a men's league.

Looking to join up with a club for this season, anyone have any recommendations on the better clubs to join?

Speed_Dreams
03-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Saints , or the irish

depending on what your background is of course , My highschool coach was one of the founders of the Saints i played till my shoulder blew out

adamc
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
yeah the saints seemed like a good bunch to join

I'm looking to play 3rd division or whatever it's called, not the first string because i'm so out of shape and practice..

what do you mean "depending on background"?

My mum is from glasgow, so that makes me a half blood scot, but I can get along with most people :thumbsup:

CasperWho
03-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I think he ment experience backround. Not heritage.
:rofl:

adamc
03-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I played standoff and fullback in highschool, we had a lot of experience playing against bigger teams, did a tour of california, did a tour of ottawa and area..

never made it over to europe, our school was too poor ;)

I just want to enjoy the social networking aspect of the game as much as the fitness aspect.. semi competitive is what i'm looking for, not hitting the gym every day to prepare for the weekend game :)

kertejud
03-04-2007, 04:05 PM
The Saints are a crap club nowadays. They only care about imports and they didn't even field a 2nd Div side last season.

Now where you live could play a big part, the Saints and Irish are just a few blocks away from eachother in the NE, the Canucks are in Stanley Park but somebody told me that they were looking to move out by Westside. The Rams practice at Bishop Carroll and the Saracens are up the the NW somewhere. The Hornets are at Lord Beaverbrook. Everybody except the Irish play their (home) games at the CRU.

adamc
03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
thanks for that, do you have any more information on the personalities of these clubs, location of practice fields isn't really that big of a concern to me.

I live downtown just off the red mile, so it's gonna be travel either way.

kertejud
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, the Irish have usually been the best when it comes to socializing, having their own clubhouse helps with that. They also frequent the Rose and Crown. They also have the best women.

The Rams are pretty good as well, they seem to get along with everybody, mostly because they've never had any reason to be cocky :D

Nobody really knows anything about the Saracens. Nobody likes them, nobody hates them, they're just there. I have no clue what they're like.

The Hornets have usually been pretty good at the socializing as well (they've also moved in on the Rose and Crown). They have a couple theme nights a year (at Outlaws or Roadhouse or whatever)

I don't really know about the Canucks. I know they've had a few guys go to the Irish for on-field reasons, but I don't know what their clubhouse life is like. They don't seem to be nice t newcomers from what I've heard.

As for the Saints, well, nobody knows what they do anymore. I'd be shocked if they had any sort of social life these days, their players aren't in the city long enough.

Sharpie
03-04-2007, 04:53 PM
The hornets have a great mens team from what I recall. Plus they have the nicest fields. I just started playing but I love it, it is by far the best sport.

calgarygts
03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I play for the canucks and I just started playing rugby last year - they're really friendly to new people. Great social side, we have a few theme nights a year and had a few road trips last year which were all a blast.
We practice at stanley park (I haven't heard about any move to westside) which is great - I live just off the red mile as well. Less than a ten minute bike ride.
Any questions let me know.