PDA

View Full Version : thinking of a new car

boi-alien
07-21-2002, 06:19 PM
hey guys i need your honest opinions, i've been thinking of buying a new car recently.

right now i've narrowed it down to a lexus IS300, BMW 328i, Audi A4, or a subaru WRX.

any opinions? and if yes can u tell me why?? thanks :D

RSeXy
07-21-2002, 06:27 PM
i would buy either the bmw328i...and i'm sure the maxboost will put a vote in for that one too!

why? because its a bimmer! they are dependable cars IMO. i've always liked BMW's

boost and i test drove a wrx and it was a really sturdy car. i liked the drive...but the looks....i still need to get used to.

i've never been a fan of the is300 or the a4...

T5_X
07-21-2002, 06:29 PM
That's an extremely tough choice. What audi is it? 1.8T? V6?

On the surface, the WRX looks like the best deal and the most fun, the lexus just seems like the coolest and nicest looking, the bimmer the classiest, and the audi solid all around.
I've never driven any of them so I can't tell you what my choice would be, but from all I've read, I'll take a shot in the dark and say WRX... just drive all of em and select the one that works with you :thumbsup:
oh, are you gonna be modding them up?

Evan
07-21-2002, 06:46 PM
All these choices are great! I was looking at an IS 300 earlier, still love them, but out of my price range. All those cars you listed would make great choices.

boi-alien
07-21-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

snipped:

oh, are you gonna be modding them up?

hehe of course i am :angel: how could i resist?!??

T5_X
07-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by crxboi

hehe of course i am :angel: how could i resist?!??

That makes it even tougher. All have great potential for upgraded looks and performance

RSeXy
07-22-2002, 12:13 AM
Tough choice! I've test driven 3 of the 4 cars and I have to say, they would all be awesome choices!

This is Max Boost btw.

RiceCake
07-22-2002, 12:20 AM
Well if you testdrive the 328i, and the IS300, first thing you'd notice would be quite a power and torque difference. The IS300's are damn nice, but for the same price range I think the bimmer would be a funner ride. So many articles compare the IS300 to the 3 series bimmer and how it tries to mimic it.

Pending on how hard you like to drive the car, The WRX is definately a fun car with awesome handling! :thumbsup:

Personally I'd prolly go for the 328 or the WRX :) Audi's are nice, but if you go for 1.8T why not look at VeeDub as I have heard the engines are identical. :)

shadowz
07-22-2002, 01:32 AM
I like the WRX all wheel drive and 4door plus its turbo, I like the BMW cause its a great looking car, and it has endless tuning abilities plus it runs great, but out of all I would get the Lexus ,Toyotas are great cars this one looksgreat and you can evetually get a turbo on it

2000impreza
07-22-2002, 01:40 AM
wrx is more of a boy racers car. interior sucks, and not as refined as much as the other cars if that matters to you.... just test drive them and see which one you like more.

Fluidic
07-22-2002, 02:03 AM
VEEDUB!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

OPGForce
07-22-2002, 04:29 AM
WRX all the way!!!!!!!!!

Click Here for Upgrades (http://www.vishnuperformance.com/stage.htm#stage)

Try doing research @ i-club for the WRX (http://www.i-club.com)

HRD2PLZ
07-22-2002, 08:14 AM
I'd go either the BMW, Lexus or Audi A4. I :love: the look of the new A4's though. Like it was said before, you can't really lose either way. "Test pilot" one of each and you'll know which one will be your new ride! :D

Hakkola
07-22-2002, 10:49 AM
I'd take the bimmer, the is300 is too small of an interior, cool car though, the a4 is underpowered in most of the models, and the wrx is just plain ugly unless you get those little covers fro the headlights. I'd take the bimmer, good power, nice interior, good looking car, can't go wrong.

Stratus_Power
07-22-2002, 11:52 AM
i would take the bimmer or the is300... never realy bee big fan of Audi, and WRX has good performance but the interio:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

whats everyone thought on the Benz c230 Kcompressor.. the hatchback on

Hakkola
07-22-2002, 11:56 AM
I think the back end of the c coupe is damn nasty, I can't believe they'd make the rear end lights like that. There's an amg version that you have to special order from AMG, that I would drive. I think it looks cool from the front and the Huge moonroof is cool, other than that I don't like it, same as the lil Bimmer hatchback, nasty car, I'd rather have a golf gti or something. This coming from a Benz guy.

trendkill
07-22-2002, 12:58 PM
get the BMW.

what year are u looking at??? oasis is selling his '97 the thing is FLAWLESS

Redlyne_mr2
07-22-2002, 04:48 PM
why not look for a 97 or older m3, you should be able to pick one up in your price range

BarryBeach
07-22-2002, 09:43 PM
Dude just test drive a 2002 VW Jetta GLX VR6 ... or GTI VR6 ... and honestly you will be sold :thumbsup: all i ask is that you test drive it .... you'll be converted :D

boi-alien
07-22-2002, 10:06 PM
hrm, i haven't thought of getting a VeeDub, but i guess everything's worth a try right??

i test drove all the other cars, i really like the is300, actually i like it a little more than the BMW cause they're not as common on the streets. but i'll go give the jetta a shot as well, just to satisfy the veedubbers! hehe

Big_Six_Boy
07-23-2002, 12:32 PM
I noticed all the cars you've listed are 4-door. Is there a reason you want specifically 4-doors?
Of the cars you listed, I'd go for the BMW (biased? hmm...)
The IS300 is nice, but it's too expensive for the version you probably want (LOTS of things are OPTIONAL on this car). The A4 is nice, but the ride is too soft for sporty driving (unless you like that). Also, the A4 is a bit underpowered compared with the others.
The WRX is not in this league of cars. Not to knock the WRX... it's a great car, but when you are looking at things like the IS300, BMW, and A4, you are not just into raw power and grip. You want the pimp ride and image as well as performance. Am I wrong?
That said, go with the BMW. The only thing I would recommend is to go witht the 328CI, thus reducing the car by two doors (a bit more expensive).
Good luck in your search! :thumbsup:

hash
07-24-2002, 04:55 PM
i'd agree with big six boy.... go for an e46 bmw coupe... very classy.
Some of the mods out there can make it look unique too...

Evan
07-25-2002, 08:36 AM
Have you test drove them yet? How were they? My vote is still on the Lexus or BMW.

boi-alien
07-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Evan
Have you test drove them yet? How were they? My vote is still on the Lexus or BMW.

actually i have :D
i really like the Lex, and the bimmer. now it's deciding which to get... *sighs* decisions decisions... now i know what max_boost was going through... this is definitedly tough. i'm leaning more towards the IS300 because it seems there aren't as many on the road, and the possibility of turbo later on is really nice :D

Evan
07-25-2002, 11:14 AM
The aftermarket support for the IS300 is crazy over in Japan. You can get so much cool stuff for that car! :)

Here is a good enthusiast site:

http://www.is300.net

What color would you get? The yellow? I've seen the car in yellow and a cool dark gray.

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2002/images/lx2002is30001.jpg

So sexy! :D

max_boost
07-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by crxboi

actually i have :D
i really like the Lex, and the bimmer. now it's deciding which to get... *sighs* decisions decisions... now i know what max_boost was going through... this is definitedly tough. i'm leaning more towards the IS300 because it seems there aren't as many on the road, and the possibility of turbo later on is really nice :D

WEll what are you waiting for?
Get the car before summer is over before people start waving the BS flag on you!! lol j/k
:bullshit:

STI Guy
07-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Hey man, If you have the cash and can wait. The WRX STI version is coming to the Us In 2004 I'm not sure about canada tho. The car is Supposed to be around 30,000 American dolla's Its supposed to have a lil less than 300 hp. (or so they say) They lie alot on the sti version, it Probally has just over 300 hp. I've heard that the front brakes are supposed to be 17 inches but I think it is a type error. the headlights will be charcoled out and turned into a 3 light setup instead of a single light for the housing on the front. The engine will be 80% new to handle the bigger turbo. The regular wrx engine doesn't have the strength to deal with the turbo supplied with it. <---- I heard from a subie macanic (sp?)
There is supposed to be a rev limiter that THE DRIVER will be able to set. Exaust will be changed into a singe tip instead of a dual tip. It will also be higher flow of course. The Turbo Will be running 18 PSI. The suspinsion is supposed to be changed around a bit to be more like the WRC suspinsion. All of the above Is just what I have heard from a web site that has reviewed it over in the UK. I have no clue if thats the truth about it or not but its enough proof to me that its gonna be fast. Also The US and Canada may get a toned down version of it unfortueatly. Good luck with your new car. If you can't get the Sti get the Wrx for sure.

Yellow_Fly_Red
07-27-2002, 11:12 AM
You want to test drive my C230 Sports Coupe and see what u think..?
Those other cars were in my list as well.... prior to getting the C230.
LOL... everyone's got different tastes, so just get what u like the most. (p.s. I am getting used to the REAR of my car. Now all I have to do is lower it and upgrade the supercharger pulley)

um... I think the TT is a cool car too... too bad there's NO room in the rear.... as much room as the rear of a 911 or maybe even less. Would have a tough time cramping more than 1 small asian girl in the back of the TT. :D

buh_buh
07-27-2002, 11:19 AM
if your going to mod, you also should thinking about how much parts will cost. For European cars (BMW or Audi for example) parts cost twice and maybe even 3 times the price of parts for a WRX. And I'd say WRX too.

SchoolN'U
07-27-2002, 11:41 AM
my votes on the IS300! ...no offense, but Mercedes-Benz quality is starting to really suck. :dunno:

http://members.rogers.com/lelanl/7.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/lelanl/11.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/lelanl/8.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/lelanl/10.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/lelanl/9.jpg

Yellow_Fly_Red
07-27-2002, 12:43 PM
No reliability problems with my car yet (only 12,000KMs).
I know that the 98-2001 ML series were fairly unrelaible (mostly electronic problems).

Any other Benz owners here want to comment?
I know that there are a few SLK owners on this board.
;)

Evan
07-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red

There is? Where have they been hiding! :D

J/K :thumbsup:

DriveOrBeDriven
07-28-2002, 03:36 PM
Yo i would either hit the is300 or the wrx:hitit:

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Hells yes IS300 or WRX, those are some pretty damn nice rides, you can do alot of wonderful things to those machines.

HRD2PLZ
08-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Yellow_Fly_Red
No reliability problems with my car yet (only 12,000KMs).
I know that the 98-2001 ML series were fairly unrelaible (mostly electronic problems).

Any other Benz owners here want to comment?
;)

In general, Mercedes quality has gone down since the Daimler-Chrysler merger...:dunno: But, since debut the ML's have had way less than Mercedes standards since production.

Evan
08-02-2002, 04:46 PM
I never noticed this pic when SchoolN'U first posted them, but damn, this car is nice:

http://members.rogers.com/lelanl/11.jpg