PDA

View Full Version : New Car Question

V6-BoI
03-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Okay so my brother bought a new car, and we are just breaking it in right now. I noticed that when we drove it for a bit I noticed a slight burning smell for a little while when I was inside the car. I don't really think this is normal, can anyone tell me what this is? I friend of mine told me it might be the clutch burning a bit. Does anyone know what else this can be? Thanks.

dieselpower91
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
it depends on what kind of burning smell.. i know in my new work truck I had a burning smell from the exhaust for a month or so. kind of a wierd almost sweet burning smell.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Could just be the engine being broken in, depends on the car I believe... what car is it?

I know some engines go through a lot of oil in the first 5k or so, not sure as to why exactly but I would speculate that it's just getting into all the cracks it needs to. If your really that worried, i'd give the dealership a call.

V6-BoI
03-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
it depends on what kind of burning smell.. i know in my new work truck I had a burning smell from the exhaust for a month or so. kind of a wierd almost sweet burning smell.

Hmm.. I wouldn't call it a sweet burning smell, it smelled kinda like something is on fire, haha I guess that's what burning is. Kinda like sauder (sp? or was it sodder) I guess

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Could just be the engine being broken in, depends on the car I believe... what car is it?

I know some engines go through a lot of oil in the first 5k or so, not sure as to why exactly but I would speculate that it's just getting into all the cracks it needs to. If your really that worried, i'd give the dealership a call.

It's an 07 Civic SI. I'll leave it alone for a little while and if it gets worse gonna tell my bro to contact the dealership.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Solder?

Yea... I'd suggest doing it ASAP, no point making a bad problem worse... Besides, it'd be a quick call... Just ask if it's supposed to do it. If it is, your off the hook, if it's not, then they'll schedule an appointment asap... Warantee FTW

Disoblige
03-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91

Oooh, I noticed that too when I had my new exhaust on. A sweet burning kind of smell. The first few days I drove around and parked, I thought maybe I ran over some kind of crap or something.

a social dsease
03-04-2007, 11:43 PM
was the ebrake down?

V6-BoI
03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Solder?

Yea... I'd suggest doing it ASAP, no point making a bad problem worse... Besides, it'd be a quick call... Just ask if it's supposed to do it. If it is, your off the hook, if it's not, then they'll schedule an appointment asap... Warantee FTW

hmm.. yeah I'll tell him to give it a week, and if it's still noticable I'll tell him to call the dealership

Originally posted by a social dsease
was the ebrake down?

Yeah the ebrake was down, so that idea is outta the question.

michelleee
03-05-2007, 12:03 AM
that happened to my 07 civic as well

cloud7
03-05-2007, 12:11 AM
could be smell from the cat... which may be normal during break-in, depending on the car.

A2VR6
03-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Im pretty sure I had that smell the first week or two I had my car. It eventually went away, but yea better to be safe i guess.

V6-BoI
03-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Alright thanks for the input everyone. I'll see how it goes, hopefully it'll go away. A guy from T&T is supposed to call my brother and do a follow up on it. He'll just tell him about it and see what he has to say about it.

benyl
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
All new cars smell like that.

It is usually the cat that is "burning in". You smell a bunch of weird stuff when it is new. Totally normal.

R!zz0
03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
New machines produce heat. And heat produces burning smells. It's as simple as that! The smell will go away sooner or later and i wouldn't worry about it.