PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my civic

LuxCars
03-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Alright so let me lay it down for you guys...and girls

im 18, go to UofC in Engg, and currently drive a 2001 civic Si-G coupe.

my question seeking advice is as follows:

I want to upgrade or do something with my car, i get bored easily and always want to buy a new car, and this has been my 3rd one in the past couple of years (ive had this one for a year).

Do you guys suggest buying a new car (i would upgrade to a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus if i can find a good deal on one, or possibly even a newer toyota), or keeping the current one and do some upgrades to it.

here are the details,

2001 civic Si-G coupe
fully loaded, power windows, door locks, keyless, power mirrors, heated mirrors, sunroof, immobilizer
5-speed
anti-lock brakes
silver
160k km (150 of them are highway from previous owner)

these picture were taken about a few months after i got it, since then ive installed a Ractive muffler (not loud at all, as quiet as stock, so im thinking i wanna change it to at least get a little rumble out of it), and a few other interior items (like seats and l.e.d's)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/ramezh/01civic8.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/ramezh/01civic4.jpg

if you recommend upgrades, what do you think would be a fair upgrade to get the car looking sleeker and more noticeable, but not ricey enough to be mocked.

Thanks for your help in advance. and also note that i do not rely on my parents to buy me cars, but i work and get everything on my own.

Edit: I should also mention, that if i was to get a new car, i would probably hope that the owner of that car would be willing to do a trade with cash for his car, or a trade plus cash for my car. I do have my eye on a few older cars that may not be worth as much but are still nice cars to have (and ive been really interested in convertibles lately.)

hussein
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
A conservative body kit with some nice wheels. The car will look 100% different. Maybe some new headlights/clear corners on the front.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Going along with hussien, a tasteful & conservative body kit, and conservative wheel design, 18" should be fine for size. Nothing too extravagant. Maybe a stock-looking spoiler too, to make it look a little more sporting.

Smoked headlamps would definitely make it look sharp. Paint the middle silver bar in the middle of the grille black, and use a silver pinstripe to separate the silver part of the grille from where the black paint starts. I think it'd look sharp as hell.

And sweet flaming Jesus, stay with the quiet Ractive muffler you've got and no altezzas.

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Either do subtle/tasteful visual mods or buy a new car. It is not worth adding power to a civic, it won't come cheap as you need forced induction to get any more significant power out of it IMO. Additionally FWD isn't the greatest for high Hp/TQ. For under 30 grand you can buy a B5 Audi S4 or a post-2000 BMW 330ci or something. Just my thoughts.

Hakkola
03-05-2007, 07:22 PM
If you're going to buy another car, how much do you want to spend?

LuxCars
03-05-2007, 07:23 PM
^^^
^^^

i dont know if id spend that much on a new car, i was leaning towards more of a 15000-18000 price range

Mitsu3000gt
03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars
^^^
^^^

i dont know if id spend that much on a new car, i was leaning towards more of a 15000-18000 price range

For 18000 you can get a 2003 maxima, with the award winning VQ V6 in it. 250 or 260hp something like that and plenty o' luxury. Can't get much more car than that for under 20,ooo IMO.

hussein
03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Yea, and with that VQ35DE and a few bolt ons you would have a sick ride that may not be super fast, but definitely quick and luxurious.

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
My idea... two minutes in Photoshop later...

Maybe not so dark on the headlamps.
http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/civictest.jpg

LuxCars
03-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

For 18000 you can get a 2003 maxima, with the award winning VQ V6 in it. 250 or 260hp something like that and plenty o' luxury. Can't get much more car than that for under 20,ooo IMO.

well, ive actually have been considering a maxima or altima, they are really nice cars.
But i haven't found a fairly priced one with low enough km's.

rsx_girl
03-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I used to have that car now i own a rsx ;) and a dodge ram.

ercchry
03-05-2007, 08:07 PM
what i would do would be:

visual:
- jdm headlights (dont know if these are different but they might be)

http://www.slickcar.com/products/02-HC9900JDM.jpg

-carbon lip
-rims (rotas or something)

sound:
-remove cat

infected
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I'd just keep it and work with what you have. You can have a lot more fun that way. :)

BoS_DC2
03-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by infected
I'd just keep it and work with what you have. You can have a lot more fun that way. :)

:thumbsup: get some new rims, suspensions and i/h/e.

Supa Dexta
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by rsx_girl
I used to have that car now i own a rsx ;) and a dodge ram.

..like... oh my god.. :rolleyes:

TorqueDog
03-05-2007, 11:02 PM
No more exhaust mods, PLEASE!

LuxCars
03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

..like... oh my god.. :rolleyes:

hahaha.

For those who recommend not to do the exhaust thing, im only doing it because its a sound that ive always been attracted to by cars.
Its just something ive always wanted to do, and when i bought the one i have on my car right now i was told it should be a rumble but not gay....but they were completely wrong, it was just as quiet as my stock muffler...(waste of money).

I like those headlights that ercchry posted...how much would something like that cost.

Also, becase i know that moding your car gains you no value and its a dead investment, i dont wanna be spending to much cause i wanna buy a house straight out of university.

TorqueDog
03-06-2007, 01:32 AM
How long ago did you put the muffler on?

You need to run with it for a while. The sound of exhaust components change as they get used more.

When I did my 3" duals on my Camaro, it sounded a little off at first, then it slowly became the sound that I grew to love, got huge compliments from, and made everyone think the world was ending when I gunned it.

If you want to buy a house right out of University, why even spend money modding the car? Save your cash, drive the car as is, and use the additional money you've saved towards a down payment.

What would you rather have... a Civic with appearance mods and exhaust that makes old people think African killer bees are attacking, or a nice house?

Remember: You can do a chick in a car OR a house... but you can't make her breakfast in the morning in your car. (and I don't know how impressive McDonalds' Egg McMuffins will be).

Mitsu3000gt
03-06-2007, 09:16 AM
^^^ Haha thats good advice.

And +1 for PLEASE do not put an exhaust on your civic/integra/prelude/etc. Nothing in this world sounds worse than that in my opinion (or is more annoying), and you won't get a noticable performance gain.

I did really like those lights that were posted though.

As Torque Dog said if your even thinking about a house don't touch your car, you will regret it later.

LuxCars
03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
How long ago did you put the muffler on?

You need to run with it for a while. The sound of exhaust components change as they get used more.

i put it on in the summer of 06. So about 6-7months now.

it doesn't sound like its gonna get and deeper or louder anymore.

And about the whole house thing, that why i only want to spend upwards of 2g's right now. so maybe a kit and a drop.
but i also need it for winter, thats why ive been thinking of an suv.

Speaking of SUV's what can you guys tell me about ISUZU's?

TeamBestBud
03-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Get a lip kit, lower it, and throw some rims on it. Keep the rims ultra conservative and ur set:thumbsup:

ercchry
03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
thats because you have a cat and probaly a resinator in there also and they will effect it, before i changed the muffler on my car i took the cat out and it was way nicer sounding, then i did the muffler because the stock one kept viberating on down shifts and driving me crazy

TorqueDog
03-06-2007, 07:56 PM

i put it on in the summer of 06. So about 6-7months now.

it doesn't sound like its gonna get and deeper or louder anymore.

And about the whole house thing, that why i only want to spend upwards of 2g's right now. so maybe a kit and a drop.
but i also need it for winter, thats why ive been thinking of an suv.

Speaking of SUV's what can you guys tell me about ISUZU's? $2,000 is a good start to a down-payment, especially if you're using a higher interest savings account like ING Direct savings.

Don't bother to put $2,000 into a car you'll never see the return out of. A stock Civic is fine for winter driving, you don't need an SUV. I drove my Camaro with some crappy Goodyear Eagle RS-As in the winter and it was fine (the summers were a nightmare).

I'm trying to help, so don't take anything I say like it's a shit session, I just don't see why you want to spend money when you've got a goal of a house. Trust me on this, they aren't getting any cheaper. :(

2EFNFAST
03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Save your money and put it towards a car you really want - it's really not worth modding a civic so you can sound like an annoying bumble-bee (BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ through every gear) or have your rims/bodykit worth more than the car is.

ninjak84
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
sound:
-remove cat

:cry:

carter_prelude
03-06-2007, 08:03 PM
First off I'd get a stereo - don't go too crazy but get an aftermarket headunit at least and some decent speakers (components) and maybe a sub if you can deal without having the space taken up back there

Tint - up to you if you want to deal with tickets i guess...

lip kit - not really a body kit but deffinitly helps the look on the car, they are also really cheap

slam it - again this is up to you how you want your car to handle and how low you want to go

rims - I like a nice 5 spoke with chrome lip...try find a used set of rims in good condition, you can save TONS of money that way!

i wouldn't do too much to motor as getting better gas millage is always a plus. And its a civic...unless you turbo it your not going to get much out of her. And if you don't get the right exhaust components out and the right ones in...it'll sound like a bumble bee :thumbsdow so you'll have to do some reasearch on that, i've heard lots of hondas that sound amazing and don't have that annoying buzzzing sound to them at all.

Good luck!

jsn
03-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Please no body kit, maybe a lip kit at most and keep the rims conservative. Theres enough riced civics as there is:( . Definitely stay with the muffler you have right now, don't try to go louder... well at least stay away from fart cans. Try to find one that has a deep tone to it. Maybe lower your car a little... keep it as clean as possible.
Engine mods > visual mods :thumbsup:

ercchry
03-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

:cry:

uh oh am i making the tree huggers mad? or is it because of the sound?

anyway the guy sayed he wanted it louder so thats the solution

Sparx
03-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Honestly why do people always hate on civics with exhausts. With the system i have on my car i've had even muscle car owners compliment me on it not sounding like hell. IMO don't cheap out on your ehxuast and you won't get cheap results.

Lo)2enz0
03-06-2007, 08:08 PM
get some yellow flames going down the side, that will surely attract alot of attention

check out the canadian tire "tuner" part of the store. there would be alot there for you

carter_prelude
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Sparx
Honestly why do people always hate on civics with exhausts. With the system i have on my car i've had even muscle car owners compliment me on it not sounding like hell. IMO don't cheap out on your ehxuast and you won't get cheap results.

:werd: your car sounded awesome when i went for a test drive in it (before you bought it on me haha) you don't just get a damn muffler...you gotta get everything or don't touch it lol.

LuxCars
03-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
First off I'd get a stereo - don't go too crazy but get an aftermarket headunit at least and some decent speakers (components) and maybe a sub if you can deal without having the space taken up back there

Tint - up to you if you want to deal with tickets i guess...

lip kit - not really a body kit but deffinitly helps the look on the car, they are also really cheap

i wouldn't do too much to motor as getting better gas millage is always a plus.

Good luck!

those are two things that i will probably get over anything else, except i want to find a nice, conservative, but still attractive lip kit.
Ill probably get tint, but not limo tint, just a nice shadowy color.

Originally posted by ercchry

uh oh am i making the tree huggers mad? or is it because of the sound?

anyway the guy sayed he wanted it louder so thats the solution

Not louder as the whole "fart can" thing, because those things drive me mad too, but there are some civics and preludes that i notice with a great sounding exhaust. I dont really want to take out the cat, im not a tree huger, but i dont really want to harm others in the long run.

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
get some yellow flames going down the side, that will surely attract alot of attention

check out the canadian tire "tuner" part of the store. there would be alot there for you

I dont know if your serious or not, but i doubt i would do that. And if i did decide to ever put decals (after alot of moding), i dont think it would be yellow flames.

Mar
03-06-2007, 11:01 PM
:thumbsdow for the muffler and :thumbsdow for the L.E.D. depending where they are.

You could take out your headlights and paint them, I did the ones in my Civic. Also, if you got a few spare computer parts laying around like everyone does, think about a carputer. Then you can pick up some cheap wheels, maybe a shift knob, and some cheaper tint.

TEAMFaint
03-06-2007, 11:25 PM
If you want to put some money into your car to make it more noticable but not drain the saving account try something along this line.

Front Lip Kit
Rota Rims (16") (Slipstreams seem to always be a hit with the Honda owners)
Since its a 2001 you wont have to worry about new struts when you lower, so find a decent set of springs with around a 1" drop.
Tint
Carbon Fibre OEM Hood..and I definately stress the OEM part of that, no scoops please.

Thing is, with the color if your car its gonna be hard to make it noticable, so your better off with the sleek but still sexy look. Silver/black combo is definately a great sleek style in my mind. So space it out.

Silver body
Dark tint (5% rears, round 35% fronts)
Carbon Fibre OEM hood
Black Rota Rims

If you want to sleek it out anymore, red out the tail-lights..I think it definately would improve the rear end of the car.

Oh and if you have a Fireball muffler...replace it with a Magnaflow Oval muffler.

I know it might be hard to imagine, I'm sure something with photochop skills could show you what it would end up like..

Me personally I think it would definately change it from the stock to.."hey nice clean civic" in a heartbeat.

Total would end up costin ya in the ballpark area of $2500 (maybe a bit more), it really depends on how ya shop and if you find your rims used and what not.

Then after the exterior is all said and done, if you truly want to change the styling of your seats, spend a mere $500 and pick up a set of black tenzo seats..arent the greatest quality but would change the appearance of the interior thats for sure.

Goodluck with whatever you choose to do.

TorqueDog
03-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Honestly why do people always hate on civics with exhausts.IMHO (and I know this is an import-biased forum, so I will catch holy hell for this), it sounds like exactly what I said before... a swarm of African killer bees coming to wake the neighbours, scare the children, and make grandpa poop himself. It's not a pleasing sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hondas, they are an excellent brand, they make an excellent car. If I was doing up a Honda, I would do every mod known to man... EXCEPT the exhaust. Because no gain in power (like it's usable in the city anyway) is worth having the guy next door know when you're coming home, so he can stop boning your wife, get dressed, and run back to his house before you show up.

And besides, if I'm doing up a 4 cylinder car, I am not doing ANYTHING to compromise low-end torque output. You don't have a lot to begin with.

ScottysZ
03-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Why would you get a maxima? Sure theyre nice cars and decently quick, but if youre 18 I couldnt imagine you need an extremely practical car.

And as an engineering student you have a responsibility to drive something impractical, bonus points if its dripping with testosterone since i know engineers get plenty of that.

lauphman
03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
its rough but u get the idea

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/lauphman/roughcopy.jpg

2EFNFAST
03-07-2007, 02:42 AM
With the system i have on my car i've had even muscle car owners compliment me on it not sounding like hell.

I've yet to hear a civic that doesn't sound like a pissed off lawnmower; video of your exhaust perhaps?

ercchry
03-07-2007, 03:28 AM
here is my contribution

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=1919291

TorqueDog
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I was spending the day with my little 4 year old cousin, and we saw a Civic go by. Must have been something wrong with the wheel bearings or brakes or something, because it was squeaking. She asks me "Jams (she can't pronounce James properly), why the car squeaking?"

I looked at her with a perfectly straight face and said "That's from the hamster wheel that makes the car move. That means the hamster is walking slowly."

"Ohhh..." she said. "I want a hamstuh car!"

I think I've created another Honda owner. :D

Mitsu3000gt
03-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I've yet to hear a civic that doesn't sound like a pissed off lawnmower; video of your exhaust perhaps?

Same here I'd love to hear a video/sound clip.

Sparx
03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Ill see if i can get a friend to record my car and get a sound clip up.

euro_racer
03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
this is pretty much all you need :bigpimp: .....

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0507_scc_2002_civic_ex_coupe/

Sparx
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I was spending the day with my little 4 year old cousin, and we saw a Civic go by. Must have been something wrong with the wheel bearings or brakes or something, because it was squeaking. She asks me "Jams (she can't pronounce James properly), why the car squeaking?"

I looked at her with a perfectly straight face and said "That's from the hamster wheel that makes the car move. That means the hamster is walking slowly."

"Ohhh..." she said. "I want a hamstuh car!"

I think I've created another Honda owner. :D

Did it happen to be purple? Cuz since i've done my swap i noticed it squeaking so im assuming it's my wheel bearings lol.

TorqueDog
03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't know, to be honest... the colour of the car evades my memory.

Sparx
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Meh i doubt it was my car. I think it would be hard to forget a PURPLE squeaking civic lol

LuxCars
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I really like the idea of the black lip kit...

but here is an extremely NOOB question.
If i were to buy a black lip kit, does it come in that color already and is it an easy manual install?

where do you think i should buy it and how much should ti run me.

Thanks again guys for all your inputs. i really liked the picture of the lipkit, carbon fiber hood, and tinted windows.

LuxCars
03-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Oh yeah, and if i lowered my car i would obviously need a kamber kit right?

TorqueDog
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh yeah, and if i lowered my car i would obviously need a kamber kit right? Preferably.

And if you're doing lowering springs, do your shocks. I've seen far too many people buy their suspension on the installment plan, and they do springs first, and they're bouncing around like those head-bobbing dogs you see on people's dashboards.