PDA

View Full Version : Blues and Jazz Tunes

msommers
03-06-2007, 02:28 AM
Looking into playing more jazz and blues based songs but need some help finding the tunes to start with.

Anyone a blues and/or jazz fan that could help me out? Much appreciated.

brownskind
03-06-2007, 04:09 AM
you should try harlem nocturne...wat r u playin on? jus records, guitr or piano?

rage2
03-06-2007, 07:50 AM
I like playing a lot of blues based rock on guitar. To get used to the blues scales and stuff, Chuck Berry is a good start... all his songs sound kinda the same but in different keys.

Led Zep has some good blues inspired rock tunes that's not too tough to play. Jimi played some really good blues, but it's a bit more difficult.

msommers
03-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by brownskind
you should try harlem nocturne...wat r u playin on? jus records, guitr or piano?

Playing guitar. When I think of blues I think of fat, powerful guitar music but I'd like a variety really so anything.

I searched up a few very popular names like Miles Davis and B.B. King but I was hoping for others:)

Chuck Berry is one I have not looked into, thanks!

Mckenzie
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm a huge fan of blues inspired music on the guitar.

Bar none, the best electric blues player to ever pick up a guitar is Stevie Ray Vaughan. If you really want to challenge yourself with a huge array of blues/jazz chops, pick up a few of his albums. For easier stuff, I would say go with Pride and Joy. All of his tunes showcase his tremendous talents and technical ability on the guitar so prepare to be challenged but if you can stick with it your playing will go to another level.

As well, as rage said, Zeppelin has some great blues tunes off of their earlier albums. Check out I-IV for various songs with simpler blues chops, much easier than SRV.

Jimi Hendrix has an album called blues, which has some cool 5 minute plus jams to hear. His most famous blues tune is Red House, which is difficult to play but not impossible if you stick to it.

Other blues greats include Clapton, Buddy Guy, BB King (his style of playing is unique and should be added to any blues guitarists box of tools), ZZ Top (phenominal blues players), Colin James (out of this world guitar player), and Joe Perry.

Another band you may want to look at to improve your guitar playing is Pink Floyd. David Gilmour uses many different techniques within the blues scales in many different positions. Try Shine on Your Crazy Diamonds, Another Brick in the Wall, Money or Comfortably Numb...these songs are gold mines for bending techniques and playing in different positions. After my fingers healed from playing Shine on Your Crazy Diamonds for a month straight, my strength for bending was light years ahead of where it was when I started.

Thats all for now, any more questions about what I said, just post....gotta go back to work now!

Mckenzie
03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
To add on, the Rolling Stones were hugely inspired by early blues players like Chuck Berry, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, etc. and hidden in their early stuff are some great simple simple blues tunes that you could jam with.

msommers
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Mckenzie, thanks!!! Those are awesome and I'll be sure to look them up. I remembered a couple of blues names now from guitar magazines..buddy guy and muddy waters! Old school! Very cool, thanks for the suggestions. Colin James should have been obvious as well.

Would you by chance have any of those on CD? Any of your personal favorites?