PDA

View Full Version : Buy a car or bike?

Spoons
03-06-2007, 01:20 PM
So I'm in a real predicament. I'm currently deciding between another motorcycle, or a car (more along the lines of a skyline) I already have my motorcycle license, and owned a GS500F before, but had to sell it. Now I'm really torn up between the two. One hand I love bikes, but you can only ride the for a portion of the year, and if I get a GTR I could possibly drive it all year round.

topmade
03-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Hands down for a car. I would never buy a bike as a only vehicle.

adam c
03-06-2007, 01:57 PM
car > bike

how are u supposed to function with only a bike? shopping, traveling, etc...

Speed_69
03-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Car for sure! You can drive it all year round, travel and carry things.

Bike IMO is something you buy with the extra money you have left over.

yellowsnow
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
if u don't have a car, buy a car first. then buy your bike

Slashin_
03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
buy a POS car,and a nice bike
and/or POS bike /w decent car

5hift
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah man, never get a bike unless you have a car first.

Spoons
03-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I've got a POS car, a 1990 Grand Marquis
I'm actually just torn between a better car or a nice bike.

benyl
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Why would you want to die? The drivers in Calgary are so unaware of motorcycles... not worth it. Get a car...

I would have kept my bike if the drivers were better here.

SOAB
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Why would you want to die? The drivers in Calgary are so unaware of motorcycles... not worth it. Get a car...

I would have kept my bike if the drivers were better here.

pussy...

get a car first, then buy a bike. that way, you can ride cause you want to, not cause you have to.

Spoons
03-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Like i said, I have a POS 90 Grand Marquis that runs fine, I'm just torn between a bike for summer, or getting a nice car for year round. I think I might go for the bike because A) The insurance on the Grand Marquis is only costing me 30 bucks a month, so I can afford bike insurance B) A nice car like a skyline or something I wouldn't be wanting to drive in the winter anyways.

I think I'ma stick with my roots on this one and go with the bike. Anyone have a clue what insurance would run for a 07 GSXR750... I'm 18

benyl
03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
dude, a car is meant to be driven... no one wants a garage queen.

Spoons
03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh I know, but purely on the fact that I would end up buying probably a GTS-t and I don't want to drive a RWD in the winter. I think I'm going with the bike though.

eur0
03-06-2007, 11:26 PM
pro's car:

- drive a nice car all year round
- you can have a pimp car for summer
- awd tt or rwd single turbo = fast
- a desirable car by quite a few people
- they look pimp
- it's rare(er) than most other cars

con's car:

- expensive to maintain
- twin turbos can mean higher maintenance (or single turbo gts-t)
- insurance will be more expensive
- would you want to drive a gtr/gts in the winter?
- performance parts can add up to the cost of a bike alone

pro's bike:

- insanely cheap on gas
- cheap insurance
- quite a bit faster than a gtr/gts, thus fun as hell
- cheaper to operate and less maintenance (due to length of riding season)
- more of a head turner than a gtr/gts imo (debatable)
- much better power to weight ratio

con's bike:

- a 6-8 month season, also minus bad weather during riding season
- one bad accident can leave you paralyzed or dead
- drop the bike and that could be the end of your season
- they're fast (supported by the above two comments)
- support for owning one by gf or family will most likely be a negative (assumption)

I own a 91 civic beater that serves all the needs that I have. This was the reason why I bought an 05 CBR... If I could go back I probably would have gone with a nicer car to start with but am content with the choice I have made because the thrill and satisfaction that a bike can offer.

Spoons
03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Damn it :( well the support is not of an issue, the rents both have bikes, and like I said I owned a bike before and loved it.
The head turner is my main point, like the bike satisfies that, but so does the skyline in some cases. Damn it! Why can't I be rich and afford both :banghead:

ricefarmer
03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
owned a GS500F before

please don't go from that to....

GSXR750... I'm 18

It sounds like you've never tasted any kind of real speed (POS 1990 whatever you drive...) and unless you are very discaplined and have loads of self control this bike will get you into a lot of trouble.

Plus if you've been reading this forum, some guys your age are black listed from owning 600cc repli racers... so insurance may not be so cheap - just my advice

Spoons
03-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I learned a lot of respect from the 500F still with the short time I had it, but also have rode dirt bikes a lot and atv's. It's not nearly the same, but I know my limits and don't like to push them. Plus sometimes I like to boogey around on my mom's Harley Sportster which is I think 1100cc I can't remember.

ScottysZ
03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
A 750 is a lot of bike. They weigh the same as a 600 but with a surprising amount more power. Id say if you really need a crotch rocket at least keep it to a 600. Theyll both blow the doors off that 500f, and theres no chance that youll even be close to being able to riding a 600 to its limits. Thats jmo though.

Spoons
03-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah I am starting to think that too. I might go with the 600, cause I am a relatively light person and I think 600 is all I am going to need.

Doctor
03-07-2007, 09:49 AM
So I'm in a real predicament. I'm currently deciding between another motorcycle, or a car (more along the lines of a skyline) I already have my motorcycle license, and owned a GS500F before, but had to sell it. Now I'm really torn up between the two. One hand I love bikes, but you can only ride the for a portion of the year, and if I get a GTR I could possibly drive it all year round. If you don't own a car, buy a car. If you already have a car, buy a bike

Spoons
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Thats they way I'm looking at it too. My dad gave me his 90 Grand Marquis, which is only costing me 30 bucks a month for insurance. It's not the nicest car, it is a boat, but I love it cause its comfortable. Even say the car does give out (cause the motor has spun a bearing) I can always find another POS or something for relatively cheap.

drox
04-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Most over hyped statement I hear from non motorcycle riders in calgary.:dunno:

A 600 can leave a lot to be desired on the top end of the speedometer, but its nine billion more times more fun ripping through twisties at 160km/h than it is going 280km/h down a straight highway.

zerofighter
04-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Since you have a car already, get the bike, hopefully it isn't just the head turn factor and more so of the fun of riding it factor.

Insurance on an 07 gsxr750 will be high as hell. Insurance on a bike is somewhat determined by your age and the replacement cost, that is what my insurance company told me anyway. Under 25 and you are paying up.

I am 20 and on my R1 it was 1500 a year on specified perils. On my 04 R6 it was 1100, same coverage. So I would be looking around that price range for insurance if I was in your position.

dharminder
04-17-2007, 01:16 PM
A buddy of mine told me, TD does insurance on bikes, and they gave him a really good deal, about half what he was paying last year.
Either way for a young driver you would be looking up around 1000+ area for insurance.
I was paying 700 last year. This year more had two claims last year.