PDA

View Full Version : post graduation jobs

Ajay
03-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm graduating in June from the UofC with a BA in Economics.

Just wondering how long it took recent grads to find a career type job after they were done school. I've applied to a few places but haven't really heard anything back yet.

Also, how did you find your job? Through friends, recruiting companies?

Thanks.

TC2002
03-06-2007, 11:26 PM
For me, it was all about who you know, but also the demand for your degree type.

Last year, I started out with part time about 3 weeks after the semester ended in April, and officially started the part time position in May. I got contracted to a full time job by the end of June.

monymoe
03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
i have a degree in international relations; took me 10 business days to get 2 job offers in calgary during the christmas holidays/new years time.

i got the job through a recruitment agency (direct hire type jobs). this is definitely a career-starting position for me, and i love it. Calgary is pretty quick when it comes to getting career jobs as opposed to where im originally from (ontario)

jay42w8
03-11-2007, 11:39 PM
^I'm very interested in what type of job offers you have gotten....are they related to ur IR degree??

Ajay
03-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I sent my resume to a few recruiting companies. Haven't heard anything back from them at all but at the same time too they told me since I'm not done until June it's possible I won't get any offers anytime soon anyway since most of their clients require people sooner than later.

monymoe
03-12-2007, 12:44 AM
i immediatly recieved two job offers, one for an oil company working betweenc algary and the middle east (im fluent in arabic and i was born in the ME), and one here in calgary for a natural resources company that works in oil exploration and mining production. although i have a degree in IR, most of my elective courses were in finance so i know a bit about that and therefore i got offers for things that involved finance as well; although my arabic does help a lot and the fact that ive worked for the government for a few months and as an exec assistant for about 2 years helped as well.

PM me if u have questons DIRECTLY related to having an IR degree or political science.