PDA

View Full Version : Driving Shoes

hjr
03-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Im looking to figure out who makes driving shoes (as i am haphazardly in search for some - have been for like a year)

there are the race brands which have a few offerings
- Sparco
- OMP
- AlpineStars
- Piloti

and shoes from shoe brands

- Pump speed/drif/tour-cat
- Reebok Nationale Leader (low/mid/high-Senna)
- Adidas Jerez and Adi (goodyear)
- Oakley Kart & race (mid/boot)
- Fila something or another

any others? and subsequently, which do you own and is it pimp? (ill add to the list)

I know lots of people use loafers for this sort of thing too, which works.

3G
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
i love my puma speed cats for driving

adam c
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
i like my puma shoes for driving, can feel the pedals really well.. the only thing is they're like a year old and not in style anymore.. oh well

xrayvsn
03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
One of the guys on the Subaru boards swears by DC shoes for his racing shoes. I'll try to dig up some pics if I can...

Link to thread:
http://www.albertasubaruclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100

GTS Jeff
03-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by hjr
- Reebok Nationale Leader (low/mid/high-Senna) My high-top Sennas aren't supposed to be "true" driving shoes, they're supposed to be driving inspired, limited edition runners, although they definitely feel like real driving shoes to me. They aren't flame retardant or anything though.

The sole is super thin at the toes and thick at the heels. The ankle is heavily reinforced and stiff. The shoes work well for driving, but are quite uncomfortable for walking around in, since there is minimal padding at the ball of your foot, and because the hightop part chafes the ankles.

They look nice, but I kinda prefer wearing my knockoff Sparcos to Auto-X events, just for comfort when I'm standing around pretending to be marshalling.

That.Guy.S30
03-06-2007, 11:52 PM
i have alpinestars. i find that the sole is abit too thick. cant feel the pedals as well as my puma karts.

im going with the dc's when they come out.

962 kid
03-07-2007, 01:17 AM
piloti

bart
03-07-2007, 01:30 AM
for auto-x i wore my adidas sandals, really. not the thong ones but the beach ones with the huge velcro strap up front:

http://www.weplay.com/Adidas/sandals/Adissage.jpg

and i did pretty well ;)

i found it hard to get used to the feel of new shoes in a short period of time, and it screwed me up and what my pedals felt like. so i just used what i used everyday in the summer when driving around.

HiSpec
03-07-2007, 01:32 AM
i always wonder if those driving shoes really work... especially those pump and adidas....
i guess they do work

adidas
03-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
One of the guys on the Subaru boards swears by DC shoes for his racing shoes. I'll try to dig up some pics if I can...

Link to thread:
http://www.albertasubaruclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1100

Some of those actually look really nice. I'd be all over it if they made some in my size which i highly doubt that they do.

Vietsta
03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
i drive bare feet.....sometimes:burnout:

hjr
03-07-2007, 09:18 AM
ive seen the dc's. they look too much like skate shoes to me (big/bulky) but i guess i could be wrong.

i have done the barefoot thing too, but after i missed the brake one time, i stopped with that foolishness

zieg
03-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I used to drive in skate shoes... The great thing about them is you can get them with nice thin soles, which I really like for driving. Since they're also usually a bit wider, heel-toeing is easier too. The downside is that the tongue on top of the shoe is so damn thick, sometimes you end up kicking the panel above the pedals, or catching them on the side of the pedal or whatever..

ballah
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
adidas racers ftw...

hjr
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by ballah
adidas racers ftw... why? ftw means shit newb

Hash_man
03-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Piloti looks like they make some really nice shoes, and lots are made as more of a casual type of shoe too instead of you full out race shoes.

Also the new DC driving shoe looks kinda cool, but a bit bulky too.

These pilotis look sweet
http://www.piloti.com/prod_images/large/PR16-4.jpg

R!zz0
03-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Love my Puma Ferrari shoes for driving and you can really feel the pedals. But what's the point i have a very slow car :(

Rockski
03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
converse all stars high tops:D

Spoons
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Vietsta
i drive bare feet.....sometimes:burnout:

If a cop pulls you over, can't you get a ticket for that?
I heard it somewhere, I call :bullshit: on it but who knows!

QuasarCav
03-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

If a cop pulls you over, can't you get a ticket for that?
I heard it somewhere, I call :bullshit: on it but who knows!

It's true.

Spoons
03-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Woah!
I guess maybe if you got in a accident, or ran out of gas, kinda got to walk without shoes.

Whats the actual reason though if that isn't it?

brandon
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
barefooted is the best! or pumas, or allstars.

littledan
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
holy shit@! a second pair of shoes just for driving?! here in edmonton we lucky if we got 1 pair of shoes! and those are for takin the bus! :rofl:

whiskas
03-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I thought about getting Pumas but I'd feel weird walking around in them outside of the track because it seems to be worn by girls mostly. High top Chuck Taylors seem to be the best compromise.

And barefoot sucks if you have a cable driven clutch.

iceburns288
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I have Pumas but since they are bright red Ferrari Speed Cats I can't wear them much outside of karting. I am looking for a pair of Adi Racers though.

stevo 27
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
vans off the walls

molded to your feet light last forever full feel of the pedals :D

ken-gsr
03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by littledan
holy shit@! a second pair of shoes just for driving?! here in edmonton we lucky if we got 1 pair of shoes! and those are for takin the bus! :rofl:

:rofl:

I agree with off the wall!!!

infected
03-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I like my adi racers, they're light and give you a good feel over the pedals. You can also wear them everywhere which is why I'm wearing them now. Puma's are very nice as well, the Ferrari line. Both work as a "good" driving shoe and is comfortable to walk around in.

jdmXSI
03-08-2007, 01:02 AM
my friend got some from Henry Singer, Don't know what kind though:dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
03-08-2007, 01:12 AM
rock the leather loafers like that old jdm dude in best motoring vids

Jackc
03-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I like driving in my skate shoes the best (eS accels) due to the thin sole and making it easier to heel toe. Although, like mentioned above, they do sometimes get caught on things because of the thick tongue. I'll still pick them over my pumas though.

hjr
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
so there's a pretty wide variety of shit people wear... i typically use whatever ive got on, but my vans slip-ons are decent i suppose. i am hesitant in saying that though as i havent used proper shoes before (which i would like to)

Eleanor
11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering where in town sells Puma racing shoes? The GF is headed down to New York and there's an outlet mall with puma shoes. I just wanted to try them on here to figure out sizes and what not. Would a place like foot locker or sport check have them? Or am I better off at STRD or Tunerworks? Thanks in advance.

gpomp
11-16-2007, 12:53 PM
any store that sells shoes.

nismodrifter
11-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
any store that sells shoes.

No. I've never seen any of these "shoe shops" in Calgary.

gpomp
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

No. I've never seen any of these "shoe shops" in Calgary. are you serious? they were hard to get when they first came out like 3 years ago but nowadays every shoe store in the world seems to have them.

iceburns288
11-17-2007, 08:33 AM
BTW, I can't actually wear my Speed Cats in my Z because they are too narrow; they would actually slip in between the pedals sometimes, which is kinda scary:eek: . I now use my Adi Racers to drive my car. When I go karting, I still wear the Speed Cats. Just something you might want to consider.

Will@STRD
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I have the Sparco one when I used to Road Course they don't slip at all but it's tighter on the arch of the foot. We are distributor for Sparco but we don't stock any shoes. If you are still looking for it send me a PM I can check stock for you from Sparco USA. If we bring it in and if it didn't fit we can also exchange it too

Will@strd

S13_Ryan
11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
how pathetic is this thread really? haha, none of us are indy car champs. pretty sure any of the shoes i own work just fine for working the pedals.:dunno:

Redlyne_jr
11-18-2007, 11:21 PM
here is mine..

http://i.onlineshoes.com/images/br004/101440_120_45.jpg

95EagleAWD
11-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan
how pathetic is this thread really? haha, none of us are indy car champs. pretty sure any of the shoes i own work just fine for working the pedals.:dunno:

My old Caterpillar runners didn't fit in my pedalbox when I bought the NSX; it was too narrow. I'd catch the brake and the gas all the time, so I bought some narrower RBK runners and have been happy since.

Destinova403
11-19-2007, 11:10 AM
pumas all the way man... they are sooo comfy...

essential.mix
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Are you serious? Driving shoes? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Why dont you get some gloves to match?

Eleanor
11-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by essential.mix
Are you serious? Driving shoes? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Why dont you get some gloves to match?

Thanks for your wonderful insight :rolleyes:

962 kid
11-19-2007, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by essential.mix

You both are numbnuts. I sure hope that neither of you have any mods done to your cars, as you don't need them :rolleyes: you're not indy car champs.

I have a pair of runners I got from Mark's Work Warehouse that are my favorite driving shoes... They're a little wider than my feet but have a stiff, thin bottom. I prefer them to all my other shoes, including my pumas and adidas shoes.

zachattack54
11-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Vans slip ons. There emo but they get the job done. Not bulky at all and very easy to manouver.

walperstyle
11-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Vans

I've purchased 5 pairs of the exact same shoes, should last me for maybe 10 years.

RotaryPower
11-20-2007, 02:05 AM
skate shoes are best for me, I know how they feel when I'm on the pedals, and my feet are too wide for pumas ect. so :D

03ozwhip
11-20-2007, 04:57 PM
i dont know why anyone would wear A-Stars for driving a car, theyre for bikes. anyways, i have the Diesel Parandy's theyre friggin awesome for driving, they have a perfect amount of sole to feel everything on the pedal and theyre comfortable as hell.http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/dieselshoes.jpg

speedracer
11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
[B]i dont know why anyone would wear A-Stars for driving a car, theyre for bikes. anyways,....]

O Rly?

http://www.badgemania.gr/images/products/tech1z.jpg

89s1
11-21-2007, 01:16 AM
:werd: I'm with the 2 or 3 that have said skate shoes.

they are nice and light, give adequate pedal feel, and as previously stated, heel toe is very effective

essential.mix
11-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

You both are numbnuts. I sure hope that neither of you have any mods done to your cars, as you don't need them :rolleyes: you're not indy car champs.

I have a pair of runners I got from Mark's Work Warehouse that are my favorite driving shoes... They're a little wider than my feet but have a stiff, thin bottom. I prefer them to all my other shoes, including my pumas and adidas shoes.

Hmm mods done to my car? Yeah I do but why should I need to have special shoes to drive it? haha. I use to work at a warehouse and it was a little tough to drive in my steel toes, but you get use to it. I don't know if the OP meant for actual racing on a track or daily driving, that is why I mocked the thread. :dunno: Now that winter is here it might be a good idea to get those matching gloves :D

To be contructive to the thread, I have the Diesel Parandy's also and they feel the pedals real nice, however I dont really have anything to compare them to and by reading the posts any kind really works, and that's why this thread makes me laugh :whocares:

Douche
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Ski Boots FTW

89s1
11-29-2007, 09:23 PM
haha.

I've driven in ski goggles one day I was on the way home w/o shades, but never boots.

nikka
11-29-2007, 09:44 PM
i like my pumas for driving... they are really thin and light and you can feel the pedals really well. also, you can wear them everwhere unlike sparcos or alpinstar shoes, you would look like a docuhe bag if you were scene wearing those anywhere but at the track.

tsuga
11-29-2007, 09:49 PM
mybuddy gotts sparcos
and there awsome he let use em for a day and wow much better than my puma/speeds

89s1
11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by tsuga
mybuddy gotts sparcos
and there awsome he let use em for a day and wow much better than my puma/speeds

:english: :whipped:

alpha
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM

:rolleyes: theres always a hater around...

I have the speedcats and the DC chicanes, I found the chicanes took some getting used to but turned out pretty good for pedal feel and they are wider than the pumas, making heel-toeing easier if you have wide spaced pedals. plus they are a more comfortable shoe in general, I always regret going to the mall for any length of time in the speedcats.

urban.one
11-29-2007, 10:10 PM
how many seconds a lap were the sparcos worth over the pumas?

Originally posted by tsuga
mybuddy gotts sparcos

Eleanor
11-29-2007, 11:53 PM
So i went to try on some pumas, how the fuck do you guys fit in them? They're so narrow.

Ferio_vti
11-30-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/11/shoes_1280.jpg

http://njection.com/blogs/autoblog/archive/2007/11/28/in-the-autoblog-lt-strike-gt-garage-lt-strike-gt-closet-michelin-mxv4-driving-shoes.aspx

403Gemini
11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Why attack people who want to buy driving shoes? its like attacking people who buy aftermarket seats - if a person wants to enhance their driving experience why judge them? I hate driving in my boots vs my runners because i like the slender feeling of them and its just a bit more accurate than big sluggish boots.

FiveFreshFish
11-30-2007, 09:04 PM
No one's got these... :D

kerry
12-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Those Puma Kart Kat II's are wicked driving shoes. Very light, comfy and good pedal feel I found.

Not flame retard though either. I had a pair of Alpinestars boots when I had my bike and they kicked ass so I'd be so bold to assume that Alpinestars has good driving shoes too.