PDA

View Full Version : Working out right before sleep?

JNeil
03-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey so quick question, I've heard from unreliable sources that working out followed by sleep (within half an hour of working out) is bad...

Somedays I don't have time to get to the gym during the day so is a quick at home work out followed by protein followed by sleep a bad idea?

Thanks for feedback

davidI
03-07-2007, 12:09 AM
I have never heard anything like that.

Besides, working out and then going to sleep will still be better for you than just going to sleep.

03-07-2007, 01:10 AM
I have the same routine, and I find the workout before I sleep gives me a much better sleep. I dont know how itwould be bad for you?:dunno:

WWJAI
03-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I use to do that as well. I would go to the gym then head home and just go to sleep and I think it actually helps me sleep much better as well. I'm not sure if it's because my body is tired from the workout and I prefer going to the gym at night as well because there's less ppl.:thumbsup:

l/l/rX
03-07-2007, 01:49 AM
i dont know if im right or not. but if you drink protein after a work out then go to sleep right after, doesnt the protein just turn into fat?

but on the other hand you had just worked out and your muscles need the repairing from the protein.

or maybe a little bit of both? you dont use the protein to t he full potential because your body shuts down (sleep) and half turns into fat other helps repair muscles.

krisopotamus
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
i dont know if im right or not. but if you drink protein after a work out then go to sleep right after, doesnt the protein just turn into fat?

but on the other hand you had just worked out and your muscles need the repairing from the protein.

or maybe a little bit of both? you dont use the protein to t he full potential because your body shuts down (sleep) and half turns into fat other helps repair muscles.

I think as long as you work out, your body will use the protein to repair your muscles. Does protein even turn to fat at all? I have heard from several different sources, things like "if you take too much protein powder you just piss out the excess so its only a waste of money".

I workout, go home, rest/cool down for a bit, then go to bed about an hour later.

l/l/rX
03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by krisopotamus

I think as long as you work out, your body will use the protein to repair your muscles. Does protein even turn to fat at all? I have heard from several different sources, things like "if you take too much protein powder you just piss out the excess so its only a waste of money".

I workout, go home, rest/cool down for a bit, then go to bed about an hour later.

even though i graduated from high school 2 yrs ago...i still remember my bio 30 :thumbsup:

krisopotamus
03-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Hmm, that is news to me then lol. So then its bad to take too much protein supplement? Maybe I should calculate roughly how much I get in a day from food so I don't take too much.

jdmakkord
03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Only bad thing about working out before sleep, is a lot of people will be restless from an increased heartrate and energy level.

Moonracer
03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Only bad thing about working out before sleep, is a lot of people will be restless from an increased heartrate and energy level.

:werd: I have to relax for at least an hour or more if it was a real heavy workout before I try to go to sleep.

EG STyLeZ
03-08-2007, 07:35 PM
As long as you're taking a suitable amount of fast absorbing protein like whey, then it'll pretty much get all absorbed fairly quickly.

If you take too much protein, it's the same as taking too much carbs or fat: it would turn into excess calories, which would be stored as fat.

.civictyper.
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
working out and then going to sleep doesnt work for me. I find it hard to fall asleep right away... especially if you take a pre work out creatine

magicmario
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
When i workout i cant go from the gym straight to bed. I am to wired to go to bed so i usually need like an hour cool down time before i can go to bed

nos_efx
03-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Proteins remain as proteins, should you ingest too much your body simply gets rid of it along with other waste.

Working out before you go to bed is not bad for you, the only thing you really need to be concerned about is being too pumped to sleep. I sometimes do a light workout like abs and wrists before bed time but nothing really serious.

Its your personal preference.

Originally posted by l/l/rX

The Cosworth
03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
I work out when I have time, which is sometimes at 900 at night so I have to go for an hour.

I've noticed that I am a little buzzed for an hour or so after so that is the only real bad thing. I usually like to go before dinner so I can work out, eat then chill before I hit the sack

Never actually heard that it is BAD for you though, so I call :bullshit: just because who made up the time line? how soon is too soon... and all that jazz

Darkane
03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
It's not that protein turns to fat, but the body will convert protein to glucose. I think its the pancrease that secreats the proper chemical or whatever. Workingout then going to bed shouldn't be a problem as long as you get an excellent postwork out shake in your body. Or drink a shake and have a carbless meal right before bed.