PDA

View Full Version : For those with experience with '99 4Runners

ZMan2k2
03-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Hey all, I'm generally in the Tacoma forums, but my wife has been looking at a second set of wheels for her. She has come across a '99 4Runner Limited auto w/ V6 and 172,000km's on it. It has been dealer maintained by this guy since new, but he now has 4 vehicles and is looking to sell. We are planning on going for a test-drive tomorrow night, and I'll grab the VIN for a Carfax report, but I'd like some tips for things that I should look for tomorrow night.

I talked with a guy where I work who has a '98, and he says that the timing chain should be replaced around 100,000 kms. Other than that, there wasn't a whole lot of time to get any more info from him.

So I'm turning to the experts. For you all with that generation of 4Runner, is there anything else that I should be looking for? Infamous rust locations, usual engine leak locations, any mechanical things that should raise a "red flag" in my head? Just some tips and things to look for please.

Thanks all.

barbarian
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
He has 4 vehicles? You sure he's not a curbsider?

ZMan2k2
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, he's a geologist at an oil company where my wife works. 2 Bimmers, the 4Runner and a compact. Not worried about curbsiders.

HRD2PLZ
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
you can check out www.t4r.org is a huge 4Runner specific forum :thumbsup:

CelicaST-162
03-08-2007, 08:03 PM
These are usually good trucks if they're well taken care of. The 3.4L 5VZ-FE is a pretty good engine and they dont have any real problems. The starter sometimes will tend to click click click when you turn the key and after a few toggles with the key it will start, that's usually a starter contact issue. It's a timing belt engine not a timing chain, and we reccomend it be changed at 100,000kms. Rust wise, check above the windshield, on the rear doors on the leading edge of the small window.

Weapon_R
03-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I have one, and they are absolutely fantastic vehicles. I have put around 120k on it now (bought at 80k, now its just over 200) and the thing runs like new still. I have had ZERO mechanical problems with it except for a starter wire contact that came loose and had to be reattached. It was a simple fix and the truck just keeps going.

I have noticed that these trucks are prone to rust. Check very carefully around the windshield (under the rubber), underneath the windows of the rear doors, and the hatch. This is where my 4runner is starting to develop pin-sized rust spots that are nearly impossible to see but will eventually go later.

Other things to note are the gas consumption, which is awful. The truck is also very underpowered for the size, but that is probably not an issue for your wife. If your budget allows, get the limited. My dad had an SR5 and the differences are well worth the $$. Some of the differences include the exterior panels, fender flares, 2 tone paint, leather interior, woodgrain dash, cd/cassete, and probably the most important, the electronic 4x4 [manual on the SR5] and locking diff.

Hope that helps. 172k is nothing to worry about on these vehicles if its a clean truck because these things keep going no matter what you do to them.

ZMan2k2
03-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks Celica and WeaponR. :thumbsup: That's what we were looking for. As for the belt vs. chain, that's cool. I wasn't sure which it was. Either way, I think that I can do that myself, without too much difficulty. As for the rust locations, we want to check the truck out again tomorrow with better light, and now that I have this info, I can check this stuff out better.

redline_13000
03-10-2007, 03:56 AM
IMO best vehicles ever built:thumbsup: