PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Mercedes owners

rc2002
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm looking to buy a Mercedes. I'm considering a W220 series S-class. It'll be a used one that's just past it's warranty period. I've heard horror stories about maintenance costs, reliability, and even service at the dealerships.

Is there any truth in this? I wanted to get some credible feedback from actual owners.

Those that have owned Mercedes and other makes, is there really much different in ride quality, fit and finish, etc.? Were the maintenance costs really that much higher? In your opinion, is it worth the price premium?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

brandon
03-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Currently my just out of warranty amg sits in my garage with the entire computer system just fucked.

It won't start nor let me into my own damn trunk.. the heater wouldn't turn off when the car did. (when it died)

It's a common problem with these cars too (the brain of the car is under the backseat and it corrodes over time)... I am scared to tow it down to lonestar or another shop just because I fear what they tell me it will cost to fix it lol.

TNation
03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
message Rage2!

HillBilly
03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, they are a very well built car. Parts are higher than average. Labour is crazy but you can save a a lot by doing it yourself.

IMO.. they are worth the investment.

W140S 500

tentacles
03-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I am scared to tow it down to lonestar or another shop just because I fear what they tell me it will cost to fix it lol.

That's exactly where I am. Called them last week.

Me: My convertible top won't come up.
LSM: Oooooooh :love:
Me: :cry:

Don't buy a convertible(I know you're not, I'm just sayin'). I still haven't found an indy shop that will even touch mine. The first paragraph of the service manual starts with " The convertible top system is composed of 27 hydraulic cylinders and 38 sensor relays that each cost $1500 to replace" or something like that. Now that summer is here maybe I will take 2 weeks off work and just sit in my garage until I figure it out.

Also check out:

http://www.benzworld.org/
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/

rage2
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Newer out of warranty benz's are scary to own. Nobody knows how to work on them, even dealerships have problems figuring them out. My SLK developed some engine issues that took the dealership 4 months to fix. They replaced basically everything that's associated with the problem trying to fix it... ECU, sensors, cat converters, everything. Lucky for me, it was under warranty. If it wasn't, I probably would've been charged the $15k worth of random parts fixing a dirty $20 sensor.

Luck of the draw too... I mean lots of ppl had problem free SLK's, I had 2 of them before with zero problems over 3 years. The 3rd one was just a lemon.

I wouldn't say it's just a Benz issue. Every car manufacturer has that problem because there's so much gadgets and complexity in the cars now.

brandon
03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I wouldn't say it's just a Benz issue. Every car manufacturer has that problem because there's so much gadgets and complexity in the cars now.

:werd: I have had loads of problems with audi, bmw, mercedes

the more gadgets the more shit is going to break.

rc2002
03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Just what I was looking for.

Sounds like I might have to pay a lot for those extra gadgets and options if I buy a car that's past the warranty period.

benyl
03-07-2007, 02:33 PM
but a car with warranty is so much more expensive.

I am looking for a W211 E55 and looking for issues as well. In the US, Chrysler offers extended warranties on MB for a lot less than MB does. Covers more components too. Wonder if that works in Canada.

max_boost
03-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Well my SLK is going to be only car that I'm going to religiously bring to MB for all service intervals and if I keep it post original warranty, I will fork over the extra $4k to extend it up to 160,000kms. For fear I will encounter a problem like Brandon. This car is going to cost me an absolute fortune to keep over the next 7 years ahhhOMGWTFBBQ

benyl
03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
all these peeps talking about BBQ are making me hungry.

C4S
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Why dont' you look for one with warranty then? like their certified series?? :dunno:

Or you just want to import one from US??

benyl
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Can you even import one from the US?

RIV says you have to contact MB Canada to with the VIN to see if your can import it. My understanding from doing a quick google search is that they can be imported, but usually require thousands in modifications to the bumpers and seat belts.

rage2
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
PM ScCab, he can help you out.

infected
03-08-2007, 12:06 AM
My dad's 2000 W220 is off warranty and we have had NO PROBLEMS with it whatsoever. I'd say it's a great car to invest in, everything about it is far beyond what you can get from most cars. Ride Quality is insane, the airmatic suspension feels like you're sitting on a cloud. Fit and finish is just like every other Mercedes, if you've pulled a panel out before, then chances are it will make some noise one way or another. Maintenance wise, if you're used to working around cars then this car wont be any different. As long as you look after it you'll have nothing to worry about. I stole the car for a joyride a couple times and I personally love everything about the car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too. The W220 is an excellent choice. :)

Redlyne_mr2
03-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by brandon
Currently my just out of warranty amg sits in my garage with the entire computer system just fucked.

It won't start nor let me into my own damn trunk.. the heater wouldn't turn off when the car did. (when it died)

It's a common problem with these cars too (the brain of the car is under the backseat and it corrodes over time)... I am scared to tow it down to lonestar or another shop just because I fear what they tell me it will cost to fix it lol.
Alpine Autowerks...Marc wont fuck you around on another note my buddy paid 300 dollars for 2 years of extended warranty on his s4 from audi..were getting scammed up here