PDA

View Full Version : how would you guys ask for a raise?

ApexDrift
03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Just wondering how some of you guys would go about asking for a pay raise?...

ive been working at this company for 6 months as a design technologist and havent asked for anything other then a LCD monitor at my work station. ill admit that i havent been busting my back but ive been getting my portion of work done. this company just recently asked me to fill a contract position at CNRL where they contract me out 2 days a week and i agreed hopeing that after a month of that i would see a pay raise cause of the extra work load ive taken on, but so far ive gotten nothing... i dont know weather to wait and see or just screw it and go ask for a raise... but i dont even know how to bring it up...

cleancivic
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
straight up from the feet up

Kona9
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Hostage style will work wonders for a raise. Fuck I even hear of people getting helicopters and stuff by using that tactic.

Try it out and post your outcome.

Naw man...wait it out just a bit longer. Say Hi to Erica A next time you are at CNRL from Ken at Rangeland Engineering.

snowboard
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Hostage style will work wonders for a raise. Fuck I even hear of people getting helicopters and stuff by using that tactic.

Try it out and post your outcome.

Naw man...wait it out just a bit longer. Say Hi to Erica A next time you are at CNRL from Ken at Rangeland Engineering.

haha do you know simon white and steve bachorik??

Yo dont ask for a "raise"
ask for a review!

Envitro
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Yup.. Wait for your review, but make sure to write down your points before hand and present them to your boss.. it's the best way to do it. If that doesn't get you anywhere threaten to quit. If they like your work, they'll try to make you happy.

Kona9
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

ask for a review!

I believe Steve is referred to as Uncle Steve by a few co-workers in Piping design. I have only met him twice. Not sure of Simon though.

Sorry for the thread Hijack.

ApexDrift
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
all good

ha good one a review!...

snowboard
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
all good

ha good one a review!...

Well you ask for a review and then bring to light the hard work you have been doing and all your positive attributes and they will take a hint fairly well. or else you can just tell them that you believe the work you are doing is worth more than they are paying you.
its super fucking awkward but once you do it youll be glad.
Haha not that im good at it or anything :poosie:

Kona9
03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
not to mention if they told you about a review or potential raise at any specific time, you do have the right to bring that up to them as raises and higher wages generally keep people around.

Isaiah
03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
The review is probably the best way. Otherwise, talk to whoever you report to and voice your request.

Don't ask, don't get.

jay42w8
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
please see Dwight Shrut's method in the "Employee Performance Reviews" episode of The Office: Season 2 lol

krisopotamus
03-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I work at CNRL and employees here have yearly evaluations and get individual bonuses and raises I think. New employees probably have the reviews more often than people who have been with the company for 5 years.

It doesn't hurt to ask...the worst they will do is say no. They aren't going to fire you for asking lol....

Lex350
03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by snowboard

ask for a review!

I don't agree...a review can mean so many different things other than a raise. Be up front....tell them you want a raise and why you deserve it. Many people wait for companies to initiate that sort of thing but really, why would they. You need to pout the issue forward and be confident about it. Don't go into it half way.

marko polo
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
find some dirt on youre boss and blackmail his ass! ahahhaahhahaha

97'Scort
03-08-2007, 10:49 AM
^ Review, not a raise. And you probably won't get much of one if you don't have your C.E.T. yet.

Check out ASET's website (http://www.aset.ab.ca) and download a copy of the salary survey. That should give you an idea of what you should be making. If you don't have a CET, remember that you're just an entry level TT.

Doctor
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
Just wondering how some of you guys would go about asking for a pay raise?...

ive been working at this company for 6 months as a design technologist and havent asked for anything other then a LCD monitor at my work station. ill admit that i havent been busting my back but ive been getting my portion of work done. this company just recently asked me to fill a contract position at CNRL where they contract me out 2 days a week and i agreed hopeing that after a month of that i would see a pay raise cause of the extra work load ive taken on, but so far ive gotten nothing... i dont know weather to wait and see or just screw it and go ask for a raise... but i dont even know how to bring it up...

I put myself in a position where if I were to leave, there would be a significant disturbance in operations and external relations.. then make the move.

I think it's situationally specific.