PDA

View Full Version : building muscle

Aging_Redneck
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
To anyone thats built alot of muscle, how important is the insulin spike after a workout?

i'm a type 2 diabetic, and if I try to cause an insulin spike, the carbs will completely destroy my blood glucose control.

What if I just take a plain protien shake after a workout? is that a waste?

RUQUIKR
03-07-2007, 10:46 PM
No it's not a waste. The only reason why guys try to make a spike is to replinsh your carb levels. Keep in mind a insulin spike can cause you to store the extra sugars as fat. Basically taking a straight protien shake will help by stopping the breakdown of muscle and starting the repairing process. Just out of curiousity, do all carbs throw your blood sugar out? Simple and complex?

Darkane
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Carbs are needed after a workout. As you injest your carbs your insulin sensitvity is at its highest. Most if not all (depending on amount) of the carbs will go right into the muscle to begin repair. Protein helps in sythesis.

I'd test your blood sugar just after to see how it is. Experiment with different levels of carbs. Try 30fast, 30 slow carbs to start. See if you crash.

RUQUIKR
03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Carbs are needed after a workout. As you injest your carbs your insulin sensitvity is at its highest. Most if not all (depending on amount) of the carbs will go right into the muscle to begin repair. Protein helps in sythesis.

I'd test your blood sugar just after to see how it is. Experiment with different levels of carbs. Try 30fast, 30 slow carbs to start. See if you crash.

Carbs don't repair muscles, protein/amino acids do.

EG STyLeZ
03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR
Just out of curiousity, do all carbs throw your blood sugar out? Simple and complex?

It depends. Something like maltodextrin is considered a complex carb but basically acts as a simple carb because it can can be broken down and absorbed almost as quickly as a typical simple carb.

Originally posted by RUQUIKR

Carbs don't repair muscles, protein/amino acids do.

that's right. but the 'quicker' the carbs are, the faster they'll help deliver the amino acids to your damaged muscles and promote repair (and reduce cortisol).