PDA

View Full Version : Need some civic opinions.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 08:44 AM
So i had a question for you guys to see what you would do.

OK so i have my eye on a few civics. And either one i purchace i have 2 choices.

Either, keep the looks of the civic stock (wheels, springs exhaust etc) ; but put in a nice b16a gen 2.

Or make it look nice with rims, springs, hids, type r lips etc, but then have a stock si engine.

If you were me, which route would you take. Unfortunatly my budget wont allow me to do both.

QuasarCav
03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I would leave it stock if my plan was to save money and buy a house. These mods are expensive if done right and bought new and they will only decrease the resale value of the car in the future.

You had a Civic SiR (EP3) before, why would you not just hold on to that? Most of the performance options are the same between an EK and an EP3. You would only be wasting cash.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Dude that wasent my question.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Go or show?

Mitsu3000gt
03-08-2007, 09:49 AM
IMO its a huge waste of money modding a civic. Neither of those engines will make it that fast, so you might as well leave it stock.

If you must do something, just buy some cheap rims or something and use the other ones for winter. Please do not put an exhaust on it. Just stick to subtle, tasteful mods if you insist on putting money into it IMO.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah im not into rice or anything like that. i would just make it look clean like a 2000 sir or something. But i thought a b16a would be alot more fun then just a stock si motor?

Mitsu3000gt
03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Is that the 170HP one? if so I think it only has 116lb/ft of torque and makes max HP at like 7500 RPM. You have to drive the piss off of that to even go reasonably fast, and it has no torque. It will be funner than the stock Si motor but IMO really not worth a swap.

Actually, if I were you I think I would put some money into a good stereo and it would provide me with more enjoyment than either a slightly better motor or a few visual upgrades. Or, just pick one visual upgrade and add a stereo.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah iv had a b16a before and it was alright. Im not saying its a race car im just saying, would you rather drive a civic thats got a bit of pep to it and fun to drive.

Or one that is pretty slow, not to exciting to drive, but looks super nice and clean.

A790
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
If I were you, and all things being equal, I'd put in the B16 or B18. No point in making the car look fast but perform like shit.

WWJAI
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
It really depends on what you want yourself. Speed or Visual looks.

I personally don't care about speed all too much so I'd say go for the visual mods.

03ozwhip
03-08-2007, 12:06 PM
^^^ thats how i used to be until i bought a turbo MR2. suddenly its not that fast and i spend a few more grand to make it a rocket.BUT i love the show car too. i think if i were you, i would stick with the engine you buy the car with and put the usual mods on it. that would take it close to the B18, then throw on some springs, front lip, and some 17's and call it a day.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^^ thats how i used to be until i bought a turbo MR2. suddenly its not that fast and i spend a few more grand to make it a rocket.BUT i love the show car too. i think if i were you, i would stick with the engine you buy the car with and put the usual mods on it. that would take it close to the B18, then throw on some springs, front lip, and some 17's and call it a day.

Yeah i think thats what i will do. Make it a very nice clean jdm looking civic. Thanks for giving me that push

WWJAI
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Clean JDM lookin civic is not with 17's...i would suggest 15's:thumbsup:

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
yea i was leaning toward some 15s or 16s

03ozwhip
03-08-2007, 12:50 PM
17's for show, 16's for go, 15's for the track. you gotta think which is your style?

TorqueDog
03-08-2007, 12:52 PM
*raises hand* Can I ask why it's such a big deal to make a car 'look' like it's a JDM vehicle? Isn't this only something real big Honda nerds are going to notice anyway? I thought the point of appearance mods were to do something to make the car look different, stand out, etc.

If it matters that much, why not just buy a real JDM car (year permitting)? I'm sure pricing isn't bad, and you'll have the real thing.

teggypimp95
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Because i dont want a 15 year old car or a rhd pain in the ass. Im not doing a jdm style to have "honda nerds" notice, i do it becuase i love the looks.

topmade
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I have a 94 civic SI that I swapped in a B16a g2 in and seriously it was a waste of money IMO. Not much of a difference in performance. I can feel it accelerates a little bit faster because of the shorter gearing, but top speed and other stuff is pretty much the same. If anything get a B18 with more torque if your going to do the engine swap.

TorqueDog
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm just trying to understand, I've seen JDM cars and they look very much like their USDM counterparts.

If the look you're aiming for is 'stock', I guess I can understand.

B20EF
03-08-2007, 06:51 PM
B16 is a waste of money, it wont make your car fast enough to appreciate the money you put into it

jdm_eg6
03-08-2007, 06:59 PM
if your buying a civic your not looking for speed :thumbsup: haha, but i guess with a lil tuning, and propper tranny you could make it fly. But hey, what do YOU want more. SHow or Go?

me, i knew my motor was crap from day one, drove it until my car showed decent. and now iam going for a little more go, iam not going all out because 1. i want a well balanced car, weather its speed/handling/ or looks.

2. Money, if you have money to make it all work at once do it but you dont soo.

3. do what you think you want, or do both but in moderation.

joey00
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
IMO its a huge waste of money modding a civic. Neither of those engines will make it that fast, so you might as well leave it stock.\

Civics with mild mods and conservative looking rims look awesome for the money IMO and there wicked on fuel. I realize your trying to help but when it comes right down to it, mod'ing cars/buying expensive cars is a waste because all you really need is a reliable car, right? (IMO). Why do we do it, lots of different reasons I guess.

I have no opinion on the swap, I'm downgrading on my car for a new place so I'm kind if in the same boat. The more I thought about it, I figure if you really set on a civic fine, but you could just start with an integra.

gpomp
03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
an eg civic with a b16 is pretty quick. can't say the same about an ek though.

as for you Mark:
Originally posted by googe

man i hate people that think they know everything, they just waste time for those of us that actually do

jdm_eg6
03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
^^^ Not even a B16, even a D15 with a good short ratio tranny can even suprise you B series boiz!! haha its truue.