PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite clutch for the mr2? (spec sucks!)

pulse_crx
03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I had a spec stage 1 installed last year, and It was a really good clutch, never slipped, I launched hard on it, until it started fucking up recently.
Was getting harder and harder to shift, till it finally went out on me.
Took off my tranny today and at first sight of the spec pressure plate, you can see one of the springs came loose and jammed itself againt the pressure plate. Ill grab some pics monday with a digi to show you guys.

So anyway, I need to order a new clutch, wont be goin over 300whp anytime soon, the stage 1 was nice, but I drag almost every week and need something that I know is gonna last so Im thinking going stage 2 this time.

Whats your guys preference and experience on clutches with the mr2?

Ek9Max
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I got an ACT 6 puck with HD pressure plate.

Haven't realyl driven on it. but it seemed ok putting around on.

We'll see when i really drive on it.

jvillain
03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I had a spec stage 2 and it wouldn't hold 300hp. War has a spec stage 3 and it and it wouldn't hold 300 either. So it is coming out.

I dropped a ClutchMaster stage 3 in over the winter but only drove it enough to get home. Feel was good but I won't know if it is gonna hold up for probably another month.

pulse_crx
03-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I ended up ordering the ACT 6 puck with HD pressure plate. Was 515 US with express shipping.

SPooLiN
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
you wont be dissapointed with the ACT. spec is absolute garbage...

Ghettobaby
03-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by pulse_crx
I ended up ordering the ACT 6 puck with HD pressure plate. Was 515 US with express shipping.

where did you end up ordering the clutch from? I too am in the market for a new clutch.

91tomstwo
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm currently making 320WHP and have had my Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic clutch holding the power without any problems. Exedy seems to be the preferred clutch in the Honda world and so far, I'm really glad I went with Exedy. I've heard some bad things with the SPEC clutches.

-kl

Milk2%
03-10-2007, 04:50 PM
i got a spec stage 3. seems to be holding fine for now. but very interested in the clutchmasters stage 4!

close to the 10,000kms with it also. launches fine at 5k. I've heard a couple horror storys with spec, but also ive heard good feedback as well. Luck of the draw i guess

pulse_crx
03-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Ghettobaby

where did you end up ordering the clutch from? I too am in the market for a new clutch.

www.clutchcityonline.com

Good customer service so far.

As far as spec, I really enjoyed the clutch for when it worked, but now it has failed, and I do not wish to purchase another spec with the chance of it happening again.

TEAMFaint
03-10-2007, 09:55 PM
^Thats the site I ordered my Exedy off of, you'll get your clutch shipped quickly hoping that its not held at the border for a while. *knock on wood*

I know for the Celica 3SGTE's everyone recommends using the OEM Throw out bearing, this the same for you MR2 owners? May be something to think about when installing the new clutch..

New2Talon
03-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Clutchmasters stage 3 installed at the moment. Feel is comparable to stock.

Deetz
03-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by New2Talon
Clutchmasters stage 3 installed at the moment. Feel is comparable to stock.

I reccomend this clutch too :thumbsup:

Zenshi
03-11-2007, 12:53 PM
OSgiken mutliplate clutches are the best IMO
Had a twin plate in my mk1.5 it GRABS good

I have a multiplate in my supra and it also holds 450whp EASY

pulse_crx
03-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TEAMFaint
^Thats the site I ordered my Exedy off of, you'll get your clutch shipped quickly hoping that its not held at the border for a while. *knock on wood*

I know for the Celica 3SGTE's everyone recommends using the OEM Throw out bearing, this the same for you MR2 owners? May be something to think about when installing the new clutch..

Ya, thats what Ive heard too. Gotta order that from toyota tomorrow.

red99600
03-12-2007, 02:44 AM
OS Giken
ACT

bmeier
03-13-2007, 12:24 AM
if your not going over 300 rwhp i like the stock clutch personally.

jvillain
03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Stock won't get you any where near 300.

pulse_crx
03-13-2007, 07:22 PM
My ACT came in today, OEM release bearing should be in tomorrow from toyota.
I love having my car on a hoist tho, Im doing my downpipe while Im at it, which was alot easier in the air, changing all fluids, new rear main seal, new axle boots, new sway bar connectors.

Its crazy how much the stock cat weighs, I didnt think it would be soo much. Got it out today without breaking any bolts!!!