PDA

View Full Version : Should I ship or drive?

DC2
03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I bought a car from Japan, and get it from Vancouver to Calgary.

I've done quite a bit of research about shipping and it seems like L. Hansen's is the best shipping choice. I called them and they quoted me approximately $460, from depot to depot.

My second choice is rent a car from Calgary, return the rental in Vancouver, and drive the other car back. The only thing I am really worried about is, that its a JDM car, I have never seen it person. The person who bought it for me says everything is great, runs starts perfect, minus power steering needs maintenance. If I go this route it would be lot cheaper and I know the car will be well taken care of. And its also about 20 hours of driving.

This would be in the beginning of April so if I drive weather wouldn't be that much of a concern

Just want some opinions if I should just pay to get it done, or do it myself.

RZRSHARP_SVX
03-08-2007, 05:16 PM
you should get it trucked in because you not used to the car and your not quite sure if it will make the distance.

benyl
03-08-2007, 05:17 PM
um, you know you could fly to Van in 1 hour for about $150.

SilverGS
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Depends on what you value your time at.

Rental $50
2 Tanks x $40 per tank x 2 Trips = $160

$210 Plus 20+ hours of your time + Food Expenses and such

If you are going on your own you would need to get from the rental car place to the depot which may cost another bit of cash

In effect it will cost you approx $250 to save 20+ hours of your time. I assume you want to do this in one day since paying to stay there one night would make it not worth it unless you have a place to stay

Not worth it to go in my opinion unless you want to make a trip out of it for fun or want to see some people out there.

LuxCars
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
if you have money to spare i recommend to get it shipped, that way its guaranteed to get there in one piece, and if they mess up they will pay for it.
Like rzrsharp_svx said, you dont know exactly how the car drives and you havent really felt and gotten to know whether it will make the distance or not.

Canmorite
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Depends on what you value your time at.

Rental $50
2 Tanks x $40 per tank x 2 Trips = $160

$210 Plus 20+ hours of your time + Food Expenses and such

If you are going on your own you would need to get from the rental car place to the depot which may cost another bit of cash

In effect it will cost you approx $250 to save 20+ hours of your time. I assume you want to do this in one day since paying to stay there one night would make it not worth it unless you have a place to stay

Not worth it to go in my opinion unless you want to make a trip out of it for fun or want to see some people out there.

:thumbsup:

andyg16
03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
yea just get it shipped its way better then driving it back yourself, that way you dont have to worry about the car breaking down on you, and you dont have to worry about crashing it or nethin and as mentioned above if something does happend to the car the shipping company pays for it...i think its worth the extra money :thumbsup:

msommers
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Get it shipped to the depot.

Driving on a single lane highway in a type of vehicle you've never driven before is one thing, then to get used to passing people on a single lane.....through the mountains...no thanks.

And no offense to your friend or whoever purchased it for you but quite frankly, don't rely on them. Sure it's might be good in Japan, then the dock workers may have fucked around on it, stolen items even! Do you really want to risk getting there to find out it doesn't start. This has happened to people I've talked to, so yes it does happen. , despite what their importer told them when it left with video to prove it.

It's your choice man but seriously, you've already probably spent at least $8000, what's another $500 bucks for safety and assurance? Lots of people have driven back with no problem, but personally I'm not going to trust some guy to go fly/drive to Vancouver on the fact he says "its running good".

Ultimately your call but it's obvious where I stand on the issue.

_wrx_
03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
2 words "ship it"!!! saves you from head aches and also they are liable for damage!

hussein
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
It would be a pretty sweet adventure, should everything work out!

But probably a safer idea for both you and the car, to get it shipped!

mojoman
03-08-2007, 05:54 PM
try searail, should be about $300 from Van to Calgary

civicrider187
03-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Here's a friendly tip for you, DO NOT use Hansen's or Searail.

GT-R rated
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
i drove (to edmonton) best drive of my life. however i checked out my car in Japan and knew it was up to the task before hand. other JDM cars you could be taking a risk with.

Sorath
03-08-2007, 06:15 PM
i`d ship it, i wouldnt drive a car fresh off the boat without neccessary maintence let alone long distance

and if hansens is charging u 460? you're getting fucked up the ass

DC2
03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by civicrider187
Here's a friendly tip for you, DO NOT use Hansen's or Searail.
than with who?

Originally posted by Sorath
i`d ship it, i wouldnt drive a car fresh off the boat without neccessary maintence let alone long distance and if hansens is charging u 460? you're getting fucked up the ass

I called Car Carriers Inc and they quoted me 575!

Anyone know of any places where i wont get "fucked up the ass"?

naheed187
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
to be safe ship so you dont get stuck on the road

dino_martini
03-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by naheed187
to be safe ship so you dont get stuck on the road

:werd:

trieuth
03-08-2007, 10:41 PM
driving a rental car to bc is more expensive than you think, rental fee for a lets say nissan altima? 55 dollars a day + coverage (19.99 per day + windshield is optional). you go to bc, they give you 300 kms a day and 18 cents additional per km. then if you plan to leave it in bc, they are gonna charge you a drop fee.

DonJuan
03-09-2007, 01:04 AM
I got quoted $605 from Hansens

mojoman
03-09-2007, 05:52 AM
I used searail to ship my car from Calgary to Prince George. they did an exellent job, delivered it to my front door and cost was $869 with all the taxes. tell them you are a buisness you will get a better deal.

Sk8erlude
03-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I plan to ship my Prelude from Calgary to Van. (terminal to terminal) and got quoted $280.00 (tax incl.) with Allied Systems.
That price include everything.
They ask to drop off the car 1 week in advance.
I asked about a thousand questions because i hate hidden bullshit fees or taxes.
Check them out.

jf97talon
03-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Ship it,
Check it out when it gets here.
The gas driving it back will be crazy (depends what it is)
As well the fact that it is not registered/insured and your driving thro the mountains... not a good idea

jf97talon
03-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
i`d ship it, i wouldnt drive a car fresh off the boat without neccessary maintence let alone long distance

and if hansens is charging u 460? you're getting fucked up the ass
LOL @ his F.O.B car

civicrider187
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Here is the last vehicle I shipped with Searail.

First the before picture:

civicrider187
03-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Before Searail touched it:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6189/h1pp5.jpg

civicrider187
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
After they had it for a week:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8949/00450003qr7.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1453/00450005ds6.jpg

civicrider187
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
:eek:

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Its not like you could even drive the car back with out maintance.

The car will have no fuel, oil, clutch fluid or brake fluid.
so you will have to pay to get it towed around vancouver, waiting time to get all the fluids back in, maybe even spend the night and then gas money to drive it back.

mx73someday
03-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Picking up your vehicle and driving it back can be a very rewarding experience, I have really good memories of picking up our first car (and some others over the years) and driving back. The risks are great however, I recommend having a transportation company pick up your car and give you some feedback on how it drives. If you think the car is good, then you can choose to go to Vancouver. Make sure you have time to sort out any small problems, bring tools so you don't have to buy some when you're down there. And always have a back up plan, if something makes you think it won't make the drive back to Alberta, then be prepared to take the car back to the transportation company and fly back.

Mauser
03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
TFX International.

http://www.tfxinternational.com/

GTS Jeff
03-10-2007, 02:47 AM
1. Call them and get them to drop the car off at a dealership/shop for an inspection.
2. Call shop and talk directly to the mechanic, tell him you're gonna pick it up and drive it back to Calgary, so you need him to check the car out thoroughly and bag the shit out of it.
3. Fly down.
4. Drive back.

Madspinner
03-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Yeah, and the last time I checked it wasnt 20 hrs to drive from vancouver to calgary , It only take about 11-12 hrs .

DC2
03-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by jf97talon
Ship it,
Check it out when it gets here.
The gas driving it back will be crazy (depends what it is)
As well the fact that it is not registered/insured and your driving thro the mountains... not a good idea

The car would be registered and insured before I leave Calgary.

Originally posted by Madspinner
Yeah, and the last time I checked it wasnt 20 hrs to drive from vancouver to calgary , It only take about 11-12 hrs .

Well I would have to be in Vancouver first in order to get back to Calgary. And as I stated in my first post, I would drive to Vancouver.

Thanks for everyone opinions. I probably going to get it shipped, I just have to make sure the guys clearing the car through customs in Vancouver is able to boost it and drop it off at Hansen's lot, since they only transport vehicles that are running.

eblend
03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
if you are driving it back, why aren't you flying to vancouver?

others have mentioned it above, why spend 10 hours + rental car when u can got 150 bucks fly there with westjet and be there in an hour and 20 min.

TimG
03-10-2007, 10:01 AM
i had my car shipped vancouver - edmonton and then trucked to calgary because at the time they didn't have a direct train route to calgary. itmigh have changed since then. anyway, 2 years ago it cost be about $500 for the shipping.

DC2
03-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by eblend
if you are driving it back, why aren't you flying to vancouver?

others have mentioned it above, why spend 10 hours + rental car when u can got 150 bucks fly there with westjet and be there in an hour and 20 min.

I figured it I need a car to get around in Vancouver, if I needed things or if the car needed things done to it. And some friends would be coming with if I were to drive, so in the long run 3X150= more than the cost to rent a car. I would also get the car in Calgary for about 20 bucks and it comes with a free tank of gas

EDIT: I did a online quote from Hansen's, base price is 336. fuel charge is 50, so 410 tax in.
but the online quote, I used the USDM model of the car.

Should there be a difference?

The Cosworth
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
even if you wanted to drive it, wouldnt you need insurance, get in inspected in Ab and then drive it back?

I think your decision had been made for you

DC2
03-10-2007, 12:45 PM
^ I called my insurance, they will cover me before I leave Alberta, as long as I have the VIN

I have 45 days before it needs a oop.

The Cosworth
03-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by DC2
^ I called my insurance, they will cover me before I leave Alberta, as long as I have the VIN

I have 45 days before it needs a oop.

alright,

i still wouldnt ship with a company then, maybe go down on a long weekend and drive it back.

When i am moving in April my company was going to pay for Hansens to move my car and I decided to drive it out instead.

They are like insurance if you have extras on your car they only cover the cost of the car... so not rarity and that crap unless you pay extra

Evolize
03-10-2007, 01:14 PM
buy me a greyhound ticket there ill drive it over for $200

SilverGS
03-16-2007, 12:34 AM
How many people here have had bad experiences with shipping?

I shipped my BMW using Hansens from Toronto to Calgary and everything went really smooth. No problems at all but it sounds like a lot of people, especially civicrider187, have had not so good experiences

DC2
03-16-2007, 12:38 AM
^ civicrider went through searail.

When I did my research about Hansen's I think there was only one or two ppl that complained about their service.

jhmed
03-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Hansens = :clap:

One car shipped in 1997 from Van --> Calgary = FLAWLESS.

One car shipped in 2005 from Van --> Calgary = FLAWLESS.

They ship many exotic and classic cars everyday. My car was/is so friggin' low that the guy said he was late arriving because it took him a long time to get it loaded onto the flatbed cuz he didn't want to damage anything. Offloading was smooth as silk and he took every precaution to ensure the car was off the truck in one piece.

Hansen's will pick up the car at port and work with your customs broker to arrange it. You do practically nothing but sit back and wait... They will also deliver your car TO YOUR DOOR. Plus online tracking... I recommend them 110%. I paid about the same shipping amount ($470ish) for mine.. Well, I paid the importer extra cuz I wanted Hansen's, not CN Rail, but that was the amount of the quote I got...

Don't forget if you drive the car from Vancouver to Calgary it hasn't been safety'd - could have rotten brakes. Be a helluva shock going downhill into Kamloops on the Coq with no brakes.

Or worse, getting to Golden with no snow tires... hear they're having a helluva time with the #1 and avalanches and mudslides.

DC2
03-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by jhmed

Hansen's will pick up the car at port and work with your customs broker to arrange it. You do practically nothing but sit back and wait... They will also deliver your car TO YOUR DOOR. Plus online tracking... I recommend them 110%. I paid about the same shipping amount ($470ish) for mine.. Well, I paid the importer extra cuz I wanted Hansen's, not CN Rail, but that was the amount of the quote I got...

When you car arrived at the port, was it running?
The only thing I am worried about is, Hansen's only ships running cars. It'll just need a boost but hopefully the broker down there can do that for me.

So you paid $470 for the door to door service?

civicrider187
03-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I've used Hansen's as well on many occasions. There are MANY reasons why they will never again touch one of my vehicles ;)

Euro838
03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I've had no problems with Hansen's besides it being dirty (outside) when it arrives here. Unless you have another purpose to be out in VAN i.e. awesome sushi, etc, there's not much savings to be had by going out there and driving it back. Also be aware that fuel prices in VAN are also higher than they are here. I believe that Hansen's charges $75 for pickups and dropoffs so if you want door-to-door service, it's an extra $150.

Hansen's by far is not cheap and I believe they use a combination of CN and CP rail, for the most part, the only thing they do is load and unload.

If you really want to test your car out in the mountains, then save that for a pleasure trip later on.

SilverGS
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by civicrider187
I've used Hansen's as well on many occasions. There are MANY reasons why they will never again touch one of my vehicles ;)

Wow Civ sounds like you had had quite a few bad experiences. Thus far in your experience which is the best company you have dealt with?

DC2
03-16-2007, 10:09 AM
^^:werd:

I've decided to go with Hansen's. They also have their own trucks and trailers. So hopefully I get lucky and get put on one of those and not a train.