PDA

View Full Version : Totalled my car...

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Here's the short story hit a big ice rink of black ice, and spin out and totalled it.

So here's the shpeel after feeling a lil better...

Travelling southbound on James Mckevitt Rd. I hit a skating rink of black ice, and over steered to correct the spin but couldn't control the vehicle and did a death wobble ( side to side ) and then did a 180 because I thought my car would flip if I kept going perpendicular to the road so I turned it backwards and started travelling backwards was only doing about 65 hit the curb and snapped my axles... and banged my head and couldn't stop at all.... in the end damages maybe 5K and honestly

When I saw trees wizzzing by I thought of light poles next... and thank god I thank GOD! that I'm alive and only knicked the light pole and nicked a tree.... thank fucking GOD! and that 10 seconds of my life I've never felt so scared and felt so hopeless that I was going to die and only thing I could think of was my life, my family, and my girlfriend and that I pray to god i'm alive.

Life is very precious that's for sure... so to all you guys please please please drive careful!!!!!

Goodbye my 320i....

Will add on more...

Steve

e36bmw///
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
nm

KK07
03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that man

Isaiah
03-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Where?

robpark
03-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Sorry to hear that mate...

Keep us posted...

Seems you're alright which is what matters in the end....

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Southbound James McKevitt heading towards 22x.... hit a big patch of black ice...

Well the vehicle is in the impound lot and the insurance has to stop by to take a look at it, and I'ma have to pay for the damages... cause I only have PLPD.

I did also smoke my head into the steering wheel and there was no airbag deployment or whatever... phew...

Steve

Orbie
03-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Wow that sounds like a pretty freaky experience, good to hear you are alright. That's strange that you would hit such a large area of black ice, it's been so nice out lately I've rarely seen pools of water let alone ice. Most roads have been dry I've seen and it's still above 0 now I think. Was this a shady area? conditions could have been right for a bit of water there to freeze a bit but a skating rink size? that's crazy...

ercchry
03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
why call insurance if you are paying for it :banghead: :banghead:

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
There was a pool of water that froze...
and the runoff was substantial and sooo much that it filled the whole road and made it all icy....

The cops told me to call insurance... I don't know why... cause it's just PLPD... but it's impounded right now.

Team_Mclaren
03-09-2007, 01:56 AM
you can afford a 2001 bmw but cant afford to pay for full coverage? Man this is not gonna be cheap.

hussein
03-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
you can afford a 2001 bmw but cant afford to pay for full coverage? Man this is not gonna be cheap.

word, I hope this works out for you though man. It was like -2 when I was just driving around, definitely cold enough for some water to freeze! :thumbsdow

kambo.king
03-09-2007, 02:06 AM
If It makes you feel any better, If you've have ever seen a mint white Mr2 with red/black advan rims, well now its gone. I thought I'd be a smartass and save some dough by not getting full coverage, A few months later destroyed hydroplaning in the rain on deerfoot. 12gs down the drain, I guess minus 2700 bucks I sold the wreck for.

max_boost
03-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Been there done that man. I know how you feel. It's just a car. You can get another one whenever. Your health is #1.

I wrote off my car 5 years ago when I was 20 and didn't even bother going through insurance. My premiums were high enough at the time, making a $25K claim would screw me for years.

Sasuke_Kensai
03-09-2007, 02:52 AM
It might be dry for the most part in the day, but at night there are still the few odd spots that are dangerous. I came up on what looked like a small pool of water so I slowed down, but I think it was partially frozen and I still slipped a bit. So be careful while everything is thawing (and possibly freezing)!

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 08:22 AM
If I were to get this repaired who should I go to?

Cheap but good quality, should I try Screamin Paintworks?

BigMass
03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Screamin Paintworks could be a great choice. They definately do body work. Dont know if they do mechanical work though. Call them up. Talk it over with them and work it out. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help.

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks, I'll probably head down to get pictures today.

Steve

Cword
03-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Weeee...
5SToZIeOKyw

Spins are safer on salt

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeh that's what pretty much happened spinning like that...

benyl
03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Sucks man.

Does the 320i not have DSC?

Have you asked if insurance will cover it because it was environmental?

Dayclone
03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
They won't cover it because I only have PLPD. So there's nothing they can do...

Steve

scat19
03-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Holy shit, you DONT have full coverage?!?!

Glad your OK!

Dayclone
03-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Yeh I shoulda gotten full coverage but was stupid and thought it something like this wouldn't happen to me cause usually I'm a safe driver... but guess not...

What do you guys suggest me to do? Part it? or get an estimate to how much it'll cost to fix it?

Steve

adidas
03-10-2007, 02:21 AM
See how much it costs to fix it first and then go from there.

Ill PM you tomorrow about screamin paintworks.

AllGoNoShow
03-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Definatly get a quote first before u decide to part it

Dayclone
03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Well it's at the impound lot right now and no autobody shop in this city sends out field guys to take a look at how much it'll cost to fix... I'm pretty sure it can't be written off but I don't exactly know how much damage there is underneath and to the suspension etc... I know the frame part of it cracked and it's an easy weld back but in terms of bent I don't know...

Steve

QuasarCav
03-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone
Well it's at the impound lot right now and no autobody shop in this city sends out field guys to take a look at how much it'll cost to fix... I'm pretty sure it can't be written off but I don't exactly know how much damage there is underneath and to the suspension etc... I know the frame part of it cracked and it's an easy weld back but in terms of bent I don't know...

Steve

As far as I can remember they do not weld frames. I would not want to buy a vehicle that has had damage like that and I'm sure others feel the same way. The vehicle is worth way more to you than it would be to potential buyers. Get the thing fixed and play catch-up for the next couple of years.

Ogpogo
03-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Hah, a guy gets in a terrible accident and could've gotten killed, and the first reply is "Are you parting the car?".

Dayclone
03-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeh I'm going to fix it probably.... if it's worth it and not sell it to anyone else... just leave it around.

and I'm not parting my car yet....

Dayclone
04-01-2007, 12:58 AM
So finally got what's wrong with my car and it wasn't the subframe cracking or anything it was my sub axle that snapped!

Because that it is an 01 probably from ontario when we did a carfax, it has been rusting... and the rust ate at the sub axle and when I hit the cement curb / barrier on impact it snapped it right in half.. but I'm getting my car fixed and should be done soon!!! hopefully

JordanAndrew
04-01-2007, 01:06 AM
wow, sounds expensive. Glad you got out it alive.

962 kid
04-04-2007, 12:21 PM
whoa just saw this... I live about 50ft away from where this happened and was home when it happened :eek: gotta say that it was one hella loud noise when the lightpost hit the ground. Good to hear you're ok

Speed_69
04-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Have you asked if insurance will cover it because it was environmental?
Blaming environmental/climate conditions is not an excuse to insurance companies for accidents. It is your own choice to drive, you couldve taken the bus or taxi if you wanted instead.

And as for someone with a 2001 BMW 320i and no full coverage insurance? That's kinda stupid but I understand where you're coming from when you say you didn't think it would happen to you. Alot of people feel that way.

glad you are alright though! :thumbsup:

b_t
04-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
whoa just saw this... I live about 50ft away from where this happened and was home when it happened :eek: gotta say that it was one hella loud noise when the lightpost hit the ground. Good to hear you're ok

knocking down lightposts is fun!

I hit one dead on and it did zero damage to the car, they rip clean off the base. The only way it'll mess up your car is if the post lands on you - then you're right fucked.

Dayclone
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Whoa guys... mine was on the other side towards the lake... or swamp.

The one your talking is when the guy ripped through the median and took out 3 trees then another tree on the other side and then the light post, and then the fences...

That was not me!
If it was I would be ripping down that street doin atleast 100KM/H.

Yeh too many accidents lately.

hjr
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
am i missing something or how is 5000 damage a writeoff?

Dayclone
04-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Uhhh Did I say 5K?? Sorry...

Ment like 10K would be a writeoff... but it's not because I'm gettin it fixed under the table and by friends...

scat19
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Ment like 10K would be a writeoff... but it's not because I'm gettin it fixed under the table and by friends...

No dude, my damage was over 14k and it was not a writeoff.

Under the table and by friends? Do it right the first time with professionals, that sounds not right to me.

blueToy
04-06-2007, 03:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken if the car was written off , it'll still need to be certified for insurance reasons .
There was a police report , no ? Having it pasted back together is just a smart as you getting into this mess in the first place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Isaiah
04-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69

Blaming environmental/climate conditions is not an excuse to insurance companies for accidents. It is your own choice to drive, you couldve taken the bus or taxi if you wanted instead.
Right, but insurance will cover an act of God...such as hitting a wild animal.

TurboCarrera
04-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by blueToy
Having it pasted back together is just a smart as you getting into this mess in the first place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nice :rolleyes: you don't know whether or not his friends are capable of doing a good job or not, and secondly the road there was disgustingly slippery. He was not the only person to do pretty much the exact same thing on that same patch of ice, like I said I saw another guy spin his 323 there and really wreck his car.

Dayclone
04-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Well getting it done right for sure is one thing I want it to be safe, not only that but it's been 4 weeks in the shop. They own an autobody shop of course they have to fix things right otherwise there would be some trouble.

Lately there's been a lot of accidents due to ice... I'm sure I'm not the only one that's had a life and death situtation. Just drive safe because what may look like water can be ice underneath and now adays when I'm drivin my dad's 4runner I just drive safe. Kinda paranoid actually but what can you do.

TVG
04-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I drove past that exact spot yesterday doing 80 and I didn't see any black ice. Man, I'm gonna crash for sure one of these days!

turab16
04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
i had a 95 240sx with only third party ........ never thought i ll crash it but after 4 months bang and both aiirbags came out ... 10000 down the drain... less 2000 the car sold for... :(

i feel your pain brother........

Dayclone
04-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by TVG
I drove past that exact spot yesterday doing 80 and I didn't see any black ice. Man, I'm gonna crash for sure one of these days!

Seriously dude when the snow melted it went onto the road and at night it froze... but just a warning watch out next winter.

Steve

spec c
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
i have an awd with winters on and i was going slow just coasting and i still slid out in that spot, as have many others i know. after a big snowfall and it melts it creates like a water slide there, add the cold night time temps and it becomes lethal.

$lick_rYz
04-09-2007, 12:51 AM
man i m glad to hear you are ok, i had a near death experience on thursday nite as well when i was coming back from work and listening to the flames vs sharks game in my car driving down 5th ave (downtown) when this chick slammed into me taking me off the road and driving me straight into a couple of small concrete pillars...for those 5 seconds i thought i was gonna die for sure but thank god i was fine (just a lil pain in my back) we were doing about 50 - 60 km/h but still totalled my car but in the end me and the other driver was ok and thats all it mattered.