PDA

View Full Version : Ericsson K790

A790
03-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Does anyone else have this phone? I just got it and damn it is awesome!

3.2 MP camera, MP3 player... the whole works, and it looks great!

I was just hoping someone could help me get the damn music transfer software to work- it says I need to connect my phone via USB even though I've connected it already?

HyperZell
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
My brother and my friend both have this phone. Pretty slick, but if you got it straight from Rogers then you're getting taken. They limit the phone purposely so you can't use your mp3s for ringtones, or images for wallpapers etc. etc. Do yourself a favor and go flash it (resetting it back to Sony defaults) and you get more features and some fun games. I think it's about $12 to do it through a website (they let you download the software). Someone should have more info - in fact, I think this might've already been covered.

A790
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
My brother and my friend both have this phone. Pretty slick, but if you got it straight from Rogers then you're getting taken. They limit the phone purposely so you can't use your mp3s for ringtones, or images for wallpapers etc. etc. Do yourself a favor and go flash it (resetting it back to Sony defaults) and you get more features and some fun games. I think it's about $12 to do it through a website (they let you download the software). Someone should have more info - in fact, I think this might've already been covered.

Why the hell would they do that?

I just tried to use one of my MP3's for a ringtone and I can't do it... that's pretty gay.

EDIT: If I update the firmware through the Sony website will it unlock all that stuff?

HyperZell
03-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by A790

Why the hell would they do that?

I just tried to use one of my MP3's for a ringtone and I can't do it... that's pretty gay.

EDIT: If I update the firmware through the Sony website will it unlock all that stuff?

No it won't.

The answer to why is pretty simple. They want you to buy the ringtones and images off their store. It's business, that's all, but it's a real pissoff. A2VR6 knows how to flash it; he'll be on soon I think...hopefully he sees this thread.

v2kai
03-09-2007, 05:10 PM
wotanserver.com enjoy the new features :thumbsup:

A2VR6
03-09-2007, 07:21 PM
wotanserver has been known to be unstable at times and personally I was too scared to use it. I used davinciteam (google it) and it worked beautifully. 1 log account: is $12.99 USD so it isnt too bad and all you do is plug in the USB cable and follow the instructions.

A790
03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
wotanserver has been known to be unstable at times and personally I was too scared to use it. I used davinciteam (google it) and it worked beautifully. 1 log account: is $12.99 USD so it isnt too bad and all you do is plug in the USB cable and follow the instructions.

Can I stilll use all of my other features? I had an unlocked V80 and it wouldn't picture message mor anything.

If that's game then I'm for sure going to do it :P

dragonone
03-10-2007, 10:17 AM
just flash it using davinci
for those interested in this phone, u might want to wait for the k810i

A2VR6
03-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by A790

Can I stilll use all of my other features? I had an unlocked V80 and it wouldn't picture message mor anything.

If that's game then I'm for sure going to do it :P

you can still use all of your features and MORE! Just make sure you backup your pictures and put all your contacts on your SIM card because I think that gets erased when you flash it. If you have any problems flashing it, just shoot me a PM and I can guide you through the steps using davinci.

HyperZell
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I told you he would know. Good luck with the phone, and let's hope companies stop neutering their devices like this.

Chester
03-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Yea definately flash it using Davinci. Rogers is ghey like that, you can't do shit with the locked phones.

A790
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Alright thanks for the info guys :)

DC2
03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
has anyone unlocked using Davinci?

HyperZell
03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DC2
has anyone unlocked using Davinci?

Originally posted by A2VR6

You got something against reading all 12 replies in the thread?

DC2
03-11-2007, 06:10 PM
I HAVE something against people that think they know what they are talking about but acutally have NO idea.

These guys are talking about FLASHING their SE's

I'm asking about UNLOCKING my SE

HyperZell
03-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by DC2
I HAVE something against people that think they know what they are talking about but acutally have NO idea.

I stand corrected, but I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that you'll find similiar results. From what I've read and seen, Davinci Team is a top-notch resource for both operations.

A2VR6
03-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by DC2

Yep, did it through davinci... bloody expensive as heck (64.99 USD)... but thats the only way to do it. Again, all you need is your USB cable and all you have to do is add one of the admins from davinci to your msn and they'll guide you through the process from there.

EDIT: Looks like they've took unlocking down for the time being... certain people were having issues during the unlocking process (Sony Ericsson is auditing their security dongles). Looks like Sony stopped the unlocking service.