PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ amp/sub install!

CosmicWhite
03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey all, I've got these two subs and an amp I need to install but I'm really new to car audio and I havn't got a clue what I'm doing. Can anyone recommend an online guide that shows how to do installs? Or better yet, a shop that will install them?

It's a Kenwood KAC 9152D amp and two JL W0-7 subs I need installed. I went ahead and bought a wiring kit but, again, not sure what I'm doing :dunno: .

soupey
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
what are u pluggin it into? stock deck or aftermarket?

97'Scort
03-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Check out CrutchfieldAdvisor.com (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com) for your amp-sub install guides. Basically goes like this:

RCA cable from pre-amp output on your headunit to input on amp. 12volt turn-on cable from output in head unit wiring harness to amp. Power cable from battery with fuse within 14 inches of battery. Power cable from fuse block to amp (or fused distribution block). Ground cable to chassis in good solid location, or to ground distribution block, then to proper ground.

***MAKE SURE THE GROUND FROM YOUR BATTERY TO THE CHASSIS IS AT LEAST THE SAME GAUGE AS THE WIRE GOING TO YOUR AMP***

Your amp has dual outputs, so you'll then take speaker wire from the outputs to the subs. Fire her up, and enjoy the bass. Mount the amp securely to something so it doesn't roll around.

I'm also assuming here that you picked up a properly sized wiring kit. You may want to check that. Also check how much power it will be drawing. If you're actually kicking the 500 watts @ 4ohms RMS that Kenwood says it can deliver, you'll want a 1 farad cap on that sucker, more if you have less impedance than that.

Also, I've never heard of a JL W0-7 sub, as impedance is typically measured in multiples of two. What model were you talking about?

*Edit: Actual amp install link. (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-S8Re2JmBw5H/learningcenter/car/amplifier_installation_guide.html)

CosmicWhite
03-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Thank you so much for the help. That guide really helps!