PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good price on a Mazda 6 Sport in Calgary

cornelius85
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I am interested in buying a 2007 Mazda 6 hatchback with the following options and was wondering what a reasonable price would be for this. I have considered registering for the Car Cost Canada website but will probably only need it the once. If the cost was cheaper I would do it (I know spending $40 is a drop in the hat if I save a couple of thousand, but I saw someone posted what the OP in another thread was specifically looking for in pdf form).

I am looking for a 2007 GS-I4 Sedan Sport edition hatchback
All standard options - Tungsten Grey Metallic
Standard 5sp transmission
Tinted Windows rust protection and undercoating, and the 3m rockguard tape instead of the plastic bug deflector
Security system - possibly a car starter

I think I am pretty much looking for the base model with a few minor upgrades. Can anyone provide some insight?

I talked to a salesman in Sunridge Mazda, and their list price on one I was looking at was $28,000 + tax, and he said he thought knocking 2k off the price shouldn't be a problem. This made me think I should be asking lower. Just wondering where I should be offering to make sure I am getting a good price.

Thanks in advance for anyones advice or comments.

Thanks

Greg West

Lex350
03-09-2007, 03:25 PM
don't buy the rust proff and undercoating...Its a rip off.

Shop around at the other dealers. ...work it.

T-Dubbs
03-09-2007, 04:12 PM
the best way to get the best deal is to sit with a salesman the day u wanna buy and haggle.
u will not get a good number by calling around.

cornelius85
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
That seems to be the case. I have talked to a few guys now and they are willing to negotiate with you in store, but not over the phone, and not through e-mail. Hard to deal between companies that way. We will see. Someone has generously supplied me with the Carcostcanadaprintout so I am now aware of what their cost is on the vehicle. We will see where we get to this weekend. I am also in talks with the Lethbridge dealer as well. Not sure if they are more inclined to deal because of less sales. We will see.

Thanks for the replies.

Like the forums. Will have to stop by more often.

Greg West

It looks like their markup on the car is only $1775.00, so his $2000 off of list may have included the assumed grad rebate of $500.00 which might put it in line.

Mr_ET
03-09-2007, 04:32 PM
^:werd:

Also unless they are the closest by far and you know someone there don't shop at Sunridge. Kramer Mazda will treat you much better, it is bigger, they have more inventory, wait times for service will be much smaller and everything there is brand new.

I used to work there about 2 years ago just before they moved into the new dealership and we had great customer satisfaction.

As far as price goes the more accessories you put on the easier it is to ask for money off because those are almost pure profit.

If I remember correctly 3m was 350, protection and undercoating was 799, tinti was another 200-300 dollars, the security system it depends.

Because you are looking to get into the base model there is not much profit on the car maybe 1200$. 2k off sounds like a fair deal unless you get a top notch alarm and starter then maybe you can get a little more off.

Show up tomorrow morning early and work out a deal, they love making deals on Saturday it is the biggest day of the week. Be prepared to spend between 1-2 hours there and if you only have this color in mind they might ask you to pay for freight.

If you have any more questions pm me and I'll do my best to help you out!

cornelius85
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
thanks for such a detailed reply. I will probably check them out tomorrow as well.

I have put a call into Brian there to see if he has the exact car I am looking for. A guy at my work bought a Speed 6 off of him 7- or 8 months ago and said he was nice to deal with.

Sunridge would have to bring the car I want in as I don't think they had one on the lot.

Will update if I bite on something.

Greg

lint
03-09-2007, 04:54 PM
check out the mazda.ca site for regional promotions as well, if you haven't already. Finance rates are extremely attractive right now.

cornelius85
03-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Doesn't look like there are any regional promotions at the moment other than the low financing rate. If only I had a family member that had a mazda for the extra % off...

Mitsu3000gt
03-09-2007, 07:50 PM
DO NOT buy a single thing from the dealer except the car, and DO NOT pay their admin fee of ~300 that they will tell you about only after you sit down, and ADD it onto your agreed upon price. That alone should save you a grand or so, if you were considering undercoating and all that shit.

cornelius85
03-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I think they charge $800.00 for rust protection and interior protection. Can I get this somewhere else for cheaper? Anyone know if the $800 includes the undercoating?

Anyone know how much you can get the 3m rockguard installed for?

Thanks

Greg West

What do people feel about the extended warranty? Are they a rip off? Is there a cheaper option? Not a fan of extended warranty, but never considered it for a vehicle

Mitsu3000gt
03-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by cornelius85
I think they charge $800.00 for rust protection and interior protection. Can I get this somewhere else for cheaper? Anyone know if the $800 includes the undercoating?

Anyone know how much you can get the 3m rockguard installed for?

Thanks

Greg West

What do people feel about the extended warranty? Are they a rip off? Is there a cheaper option? Not a fan of extended warranty, but never considered it for a vehicle

Lol "interior protection". I would like to know what they do there. 1 bottle of 303 = $10 1 bottle of leather cleaner/conditioner = $10.

I don't know any prices, but I'm fairly confident all those services are cheaper and/or done better at 3rd party locations.

Mr_ET
03-15-2007, 02:31 PM
they are and the dealer fees are 395 including "etching" which is a number engraved in 6 pieces of glass on the car as a theft deterant.

Before you agree on anything get a full breakdown of the costs as some salesmen like to "baloon" a payment with added warranty and undercoating and tell you it's included afterwards even if you never asked for it. The best part is if you tell them they take it out and come back with the full sale price as the new quote and say "see how much less it is now"

I got out of all this because I don't believe in shaddy customer service like that.

cornelius85
03-15-2007, 03:01 PM
I got them down to $30,400 only excluding the 7 year 160000 all comprehensive warranty. They were going to charge $1200.00 for that. I called the Lethbridge dealer to check the price, and he said he couldn't even touch that price. I think it was a good price, but we are going to wait as over $30,000.00 is way more than we wanted to spend. At the dealership we were ready to get it, but once we got home, we started having second thoughts.

Here is what we had priced out.

Mazda 6 GS-I4 Sport - Grey colour
Tinted Windows
Floor Mats
Block heater
Cargo tray~$100
hood deflector ~$100
Protection package - interior, undercoat, rust protection - $800
I think that is all we added. We also had the $500.00 recent grad rebate as well.

I think it was a good price just more than we wanted to spend. Hopefully this may help someone else out

Greg West

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by cornelius85
I got them down to $30,400 only excluding the 7 year 160000 all comprehensive warranty. They were going to charge $1200.00 for that. I called the Lethbridge dealer to check the price, and he said he couldn't even touch that price. I think it was a good price, but we are going to wait as over $30,000.00 is way more than we wanted to spend. At the dealership we were ready to get it, but once we got home, we started having second thoughts.

Here is what we had priced out.

Mazda 6 GS-I4 Sport - Grey colour
Tinted Windows
Floor Mats
Block heater
Cargo tray~$100
hood deflector ~$100
Protection package - interior, undercoat, rust protection - $800
I think that is all we added. We also had the $500.00 recent grad rebate as well.

I think it was a good price just more than we wanted to spend. Hopefully this may help someone else out

Greg West

Don't pay for that protection package, I'm pretty sure that is way cheaper elsewhere. You can protect your own interior for about $20 or less and the others should be cheaper at 3rd party companies, probably doing a better job too.

Also, as before, DO NOT pay the ~$400 admin fee. Just start walking out of the office and watch that fee magically disappear. You won't learn about it until you sit down to sign the papers. If they are OK with that it will be the first time I've ever heard of.

Good luck!

You could get a 1 year old (still plenty of warranty left) loaded V6 model for probably about $30,000. Just something to think about.

cornelius85
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
We aren't buying it as we decided we dont want to pay that much. That price included all fees and the GST. That was the final price including everything except the extended warranty.

We are keeping an eye out for an '05 or '06 but we will see. In the month I have been looking and have yet to see a single standard model.

Greg

Thanks for the comments everyone.