PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V

dino_martini
03-09-2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=119877
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/07.nissan.sentra.se.r/07.nissan.sentra.se.r.f34.500.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/07.nissan.sentra.se.r/07.nissan.sentra.se.r.r34.500.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/07.nissan.sentra.se.r/07.nissan.sentra.se.r.misc.500.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/07.nissan.sentra.se.r/07.nissan.sentra.se.r.eng.500.jpg

Nissan's 2007 Sentra SE-R has a legacy to carry on. When the first-generation SE-R was released in 1991, it hit the brand-new sport-compact market with an irresistible combination of performance, style and price. Today, the 1991 SE-R is remembered as the car that Nissan got right in every way.

With the introduction of the third-generation Sentra SE-R, Nissan is hoping to get it right again with the high-performance Spec V. But following the same formula isn't going to be easy. That's mostly because the new Sentra shares a chassis platform with the upcoming Nissan Rogue crossover SUV, so it's even taller and wider than the Acura TSX and Mazda 6 midsize sedans.

It's hard to call the Sentra Spec V a sport compact ("sport midsize" just sounds wrong), yet it's clear that Nissan is hoping this car will compete with the Honda Civic Si, Mazdaspeed 3 and Subaru WRX.

The rest of the formula
The Spec V is one of two Sentra SE-R models. It's a dedicated high-performance package, with more power, a six-speed manual transmission and a special chassis calibration. The conventional SE-R also has a uniquely tuned engine (although with 177 hp), but it's matched with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) and a chassis that's not meant for maximum attack.

Thanks to a base price (including destination fee) for the SE-R Spec V of only $20,515, Nissan has nailed the low-bucks budget of most of its SE-R buyers.

But when it comes to styling, the new Sentra doesn't live up to the SE-R formula. We'll admit that the original Sentra SE-R couldn't exactly be called striking, but it had excellent proportions that gave it a purposeful look. This 2007 Nissan Sentra looks confused. Its arched roof and short rear deck seem awkward at best, and even a lowered suspension and big wheels can't disguise the look of a utilitarian commuter car.

The heart of the matter
With 200 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque, the Spec V's revised DOHC 2.5-liter inline-4 is now on par for the class. The long-stroke engine has enough torque to motivate the chassis in engaging ways, while now a screaming 7,000-rpm redline helps give it a new dimension of performance.

The QR25DE engine doesn't pull with the same fervor at 6,500 rpm that it does at 5,500, but it is still a huge improvement over the old lump that was done making power well before its fuel cutoff at 6,200 rpm. There's lots of power under the curve, so it's very drivable no matter how many revs you have on the tach.

Of the two Sentra SE-R models, only the Spec V gets a six-speed manual transmission with an optional helical limited-slip differential.

The Spec V also has a special suspension setup with harder bushings, more aggressive strut and damper tuning, a ride height that's 10 millimeters lower, and a larger 25-millimeter front stabilizer bar. There's a strut-tower brace up front, plus an interesting V-shape chassis brace between the rear dampers that means you have to sacrifice the base Sentra's fold-down rear seats.

There are summer-spec 225/45WR17 Continental SportContact2 tires at all four corners. The Spec V also gets big 12.6-inch front brake rotors, which are almost a full inch in diameter larger than those of the regular SE-R.

On the road
Drive the Spec V at 7/10ths and you'll be impressed by its composure. Its steering and brakes keep up with the cornering demands and the chassis tuning feels appropriately sporty. Once you start turning the screws, however, it becomes evident that the Sentra chassis suffers from crossoveritis.

Like a crossover, the Sentra has a long 105.7-inch wheelbase, and it's tall at 59.1 inches. There's no shortage of cornering grip, but you will feel plenty of body roll because of the car's crossoverlike height. The Spec V also rides pretty busily on city streets (especially at the back of the car), although when you're driving fast on less-than-perfect back roads, you'll discover there's a good compromise of spring and damping rates.

Thanks to its limited-slip differential, the Spec V is especially adept at putting the power down through tight low-speed corners. Just be sure you've got a good grip on the wheel, because the combination of the engine's considerable torque at wide-open throttle and the helical-type limited-slip differential will lead the Spec V to carve a line that might require you to unwind the wheel at the exit of the corner.

We were able to find a good driving rhythm in the Spec V, and it probably was as quick as a Civic Si over most roads. The SE-R's steering feel and overall composure aren't as refined as those of the Honda, however, and you'll notice this as you approach the limits of the chassis. At least part of this equation is the Spec V's weight. At 3,080 pounds, this car is 135 pounds heavier than the Civic Si sedan and about 300 pounds heavier than the previous-generation SE-R Spec V.

We also couldn't get along with the awkward shift action of the Spec V's six-speed manual transmission. The shift lever is right where you want it, high up on a console next to your hand. But the cable-operated shift action is a bit balky and it takes a lot of effort to move the lever laterally across the shift gate to grab another gear. We also had one of the transmission's shift cables come loose from its mounting bracket. (A roadside repair saved the day.)

On the track
Despite its composed personality, the Spec V has respectable performance on the test track. It hit 60 mph in 6.7 seconds and broke the quarter-mile traps in 15.1 seconds at 92.6 mph — a quicker performance than the Honda Civic Si sedan. The Honda hit 60 mph in 7.1 seconds and went through the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds at 93.3 mph.

The Spec V split the slalom cones at 64.7 mph, which ties it with the Subaru WRX, although this is slower than many cars in the class, probably a function of the Sentra's size. At the same time, the Spec V's grip on the skid pad is very good at 0.86g.

These big brakes stopped the Spec V from 60 mph in 125 feet — the same as the Civic Si sedan.

Spartan but functional
The SE-R interior has a few touches to remind you this isn't your mother's econobox. We like the comfortable cloth-upholstered seats, although the bolsters aren't supportive enough.

The good news is that the Spec V is genuinely capable of carrying four medium-size people in reasonable comfort. We loaded someone 6-foot-2 in the back, where he complained of limited headroom but found the legroom adequate. With 97.7 cubic feet of passenger volume, this is a spacious package.

The stereo controls are easy to figure out and the huge center-mounted volume knob offers satisfying punch when the car is optioned with the eight-speaker, 340-watt Rockford Fosgate audio system, which includes MP3 capability.

The rim of the leather-wrapped steering wheel nicely fills your hands, and it's trimmed with red stitching just like the seats. The front seatbelts are also red — not the kind of style choice we'd make.

Does it matter?
With decent performance numbers, real-world usability and competitive pricing, the Spec V comes closer to the magic SE-R formula than we anticipated, given its size. The only real obstacle facing the Spec V is the fact that its arched roof line and tall profile scream "frumpy commuter car" much louder than its low-profile tires and semi-sporty exhaust note declare it an official sport compact.

Nissan tells us that about 10 percent of Sentra sales have traditionally been SE-R models, and the high-intensity Spec V has comprised the majority of that number. SE-R enthusiasts are clearly a dedicated crowd, and we'll see if they start hanging wings and spoilers on the Spec V or get used to crossing over to its newly adult personality.

Pretty nice car :hitit:

silver_gs-R
03-09-2007, 10:01 PM
:thumbsup: much nicer than just the base model sentra.

:hitit:

but to be honest with you i think this may be a :repost:.

dino_martini
03-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by silver_gs-R
but to be honest with you i think this may be a :repost:.

I searched and there was only one other thread really related to the 2007 SE-R and that was the one showing the website when it was launched.:dunno:

boxer23
03-09-2007, 10:54 PM
is it available in Canada, I heard it was only available in US:confused:

dino_martini
03-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by boxer23
is it available in Canada, I heard it was only available in US:confused:

http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/sentra_ser/index.html

boxer23
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM
:hitit: HYBRID from Nissan...makes me laugh how the CEO of NISSAN CANADA said we dont have any plans for hybrid in the future...mind u that was couple years back

toyboy88
03-10-2007, 12:19 AM
WOOO burnout ;)

but yea looks more aggresive then the previous gen sentra :thumbsup:

dennisaur
03-10-2007, 12:29 AM
wooo it's a junior maxima! sweet!
:thumbsup:

?????
03-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

I searched and there was only one other thread really related to the 2007 SE-R and that was the one showing the website when it was launched.:dunno:

Yeah its half a repost haha

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157185

Hollywood
03-10-2007, 10:05 AM
It's an ultima!

They cant even get the shiting fixed in this model either!

3000lbs?!!!??!!:dunno:

Cant fold down the seats due to bracing? Tell me that engineers could not find a way to firm the suspension/shassis without sacrificing the utility of fold down seats????

Very dissapointing. they only thing the spec v has going for itself is the helical lsd. That lsd type is amazing.

silver_gs-R
03-10-2007, 10:08 AM

ok my bad, maybe the thread im thinkin of is for the base model sentra.

anyways I appologize. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
03-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Sentra wasn't selling well. Neither will this.

The only Sentra on the road I see is from Enterprise. When Civic and Mazda 3 dropped, they were all over the road by now.

trieuth
03-10-2007, 10:50 PM
haha i work at enterprise, we got alot of the new nissans in the other day. altima 2.5 is gutless, and the sentra is alright.

dino_martini
03-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Sentra wasn't selling well. Neither will this.

The only Sentra on the road I see is from Enterprise. When Civic and Mazda 3 dropped, they were all over the road by now.

I havent seen a ton of the new Sentra on the road. But I see alot of the last gen ones.

Isnt that sort of a plus for buying a Sentra or Sentra SE-R. Since no one buys one, you can own a really rare car at 1/10th the price of a rare Ferrari or Lambo:bigpimp:

Xtrema
03-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by trieuth
altima 2.5 is gutless

Has always been trying to move 3300 lbs with a 4 cycl.

That's why I think this gen Sentra SE-R will fail. No matter much torque or HP you have, you're never suppose to hit 3000lb in this class. It's suppose to be light and nimble.

Isnt that sort of a plus for buying a Sentra or Sentra SE-R. Since no one buys one, you can own a really rare car at 1/10th the price of a rare Ferrari or Lambo:bigpimp:

Going by that, I think you should go buy a Lada.

dino_martini
03-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Going by that, I think you should go buy a Lada.

My grade 9 teacher bought one for like $50. They are hard to find it driveable condition, 99% of them have the floor rusted right through. Have you see that 5th grear where they take a guys Lada and they have it tuned by Lotus?

mikestypes
03-12-2007, 11:46 AM
That's why I think this gen Sentra SE-R will fail. No matter much torque or HP you have, you're never suppose to hit 3000lb in this class. It's suppose to be light and nimble.

All the cars in this class are in the 3000 lb range anyway. The Civic Si is 29xx, my Mazdaspeed3 is 3150lbs, and the GTI is 3162 is 4 door form. The structures are many times more stiff than the early to mid 90's cars that were decently light and all the extra safety and luxury equipment is not weightless.

Things like seat mounted airbags, curtain airbags, seat weight sensors, super strong seat backs, power everything, big brakes, bug wheels, big sway bars, etc....

hjr
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
looks cadillac-y too me? am i wrong

http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/files/clipart/jpegs/cars/Cadillac_CTS.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/roadtest/07.nissan.sentra.se.r/07.nissan.sentra.se.r.f34.500.jpg

Calgaryscorpion
03-12-2007, 11:24 PM
More like a Neon(strt4) with a N.A Focus front end to me.

treg50
03-13-2007, 08:29 AM
EEEYOWZA :dunno: :thumbsdow

Ugly as all hell, but it's got some "go" for a car in that category.

It's funny: the previous one had an ugly rear but cool GT-R-ish front. Now this one has an ugly front but cool Altima SE-R-ish rear. Oh, and the Cadillac front only look good on Cadillacs.

Edit: I originally said it had a "cool Altimat SE-R-ish front" but I actually meant "rear."

Redlyne_mr2
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
its sooo tall

Hakkola
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
its sooo tall

:werd: I thought that was a van in the first picture. :rofl:

heavyD
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
It's ugly, cheap, has an ancient torsion-beam-rear suspension setup. They wont sell many and it's pretty justified.:barf: