PDA

View Full Version : Salvage not disclosed?

HotversionDC2
03-10-2007, 12:15 AM
My friend recently purchased a vehicle which he just found out is a salvage vehicle, he recieved a letter from the government saying he is no longer allowed to drive it until it recieves an inspection, but when he had a lien check done it was not told that the car had a salvage title, as well the person he purchased it from their registration card said it had an active title. Is there something my friend can do about this? Can he go after the person who sold him the car?

Sorry i think i posted this in the wrong area can someone fix this thanks

KuruptEX
03-10-2007, 12:45 AM
if he has proff he needs to show the gov't

GT4rally
03-10-2007, 01:45 AM
He's going to have to sue the previous owner... get a lawyer!

D. Dub
03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Small claims may even fit --it goes up to $25K --don't need a lawyer then.

PrezeS_PL
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
It could be a glitch in the gov system since there was active status in the registration of previous owner. Get the history ($15 in registry) and find out when was the car written off. I would not be surprised if it is just a mistake of some clerk.

Cars with salvage title cannot be registered without salvage inspection.
Is the car registered right now?

xDiMSuMx
03-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by HotversionDC2
My friend recently purchased a vehicle which he just found out is a salvage vehicle, he recieved a letter from the government saying he is no longer allowed to drive it until it recieves an inspection, but when he had a lien check done it was not told that the car had a salvage title, as well the person he purchased it from their registration card said it had an active title. Is there something my friend can do about this? Can he go after the person who sold him the car?

Sorry i think i posted this in the wrong area can someone fix this thanks

lien check does not show the status of the vehicle, to check for that you need a vehicle information report.

As PrezeS_PL said, if the vehicle has a salvage status on it, it can't be registered until a salvage inspection is submitted.

Go to a registry and ask them what's going on

HotversionDC2
03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally
He's going to have to sue the previous owner... get a lawyer!

Can anyone confirm that this fact is true? We just contacted the previous owner he said even if it was a salvage he did nothing wrong by selling us the car and not disclosing it was salvage, is there anywhere that we can go to? We called calgary CPS and they know nothing about the subject

legendboy
03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
well it will say repaired and not active on his regestration if it is indeed a write off vehicle

KuruptEX
03-12-2007, 01:59 PM
well that is why they have carproof and carfax so u can run
the vin number and see what up with ur car the owner
must have ran the vin long b4 it was salvaged take my car
for example it was written off saturday night and i still have
my car proof and it states i have no accidents and hasn't
been written off so maybe the previous driver had a copy
b4 it was salvaged and showed u the other copy

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/9596/vinep0.jpg

schurchill39
03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by HotversionDC2

Can anyone confirm that this fact is true? We just contacted the previous owner he said even if it was a salvage he did nothing wrong by selling us the car and not disclosing it was salvage, is there anywhere that we can go to? We called calgary CPS and they know nothing about the subject

^^^This is bullshit.

It is up to the previous owner of the vehicle to disclose that information to your friend when he bought it IF he had prior knowledge of it. GT4 Rally is right, you will need to take him to court.
I am surprised CPS didn't know anything about the subject as its against the law. I would go down to the registry and ask them how to go about it when you get a title check done on it.

talorel
03-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Snippet - Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation

If the vehicle had a status of "salvage" at any Alberta registry agent, the vendor was required under Section 9 of the Motor Vehicle Inspection Regulation (AR 318/02) to either:

provide the buyer with a subsisting salvage motor vehicle inspection certificate for the motor vehicle, or
provide the buyer with a written statement advising that the motor vehicle is a salvage motor vehicle for which there is no subsisting salvage motor vehicle inspection certificate

If the vendor has not complied with the regulation Alberta Transportation will investigate the complaint. A written complaint, along with copies of the pertinent invoices/bill of sale, must be submitted to the attention of the Manager, Motor Vehicle Inspection Program before the complaint will be evaluated.

Full info:
http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_&_Vehicles/Motor_Vehicle_Inspection_Program/FAQs/index.htm

tictactoe2004
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I once bought a 2002 wrx that was in an accident.. the owner decided to get rid of it.. When I bought it (18-24 months after the accident) I had a vehicle inspection report on it, and it showed as an active vehicle.. About a year later when I sold it, it had somehow been changed to salvage..

maybe in your case he knew it was in an accident but didnt know it was changed to a salvage vehicle, or maybe your friend just got fucked.. i dunno, but thought i'd share what happened to me.

HotversionDC2
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Well this is the thing my friend got a letter from the govt saying he cannot drive the vehicle until it is inspected, but he doesnt even want to bother he paid full pop on a car he thought was good, and doesnt want to pay the inspection fee he wants his money back

shadowz
03-14-2007, 11:48 AM
bump for a buddy in need

shaggin
04-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Did you friend ask the seller if the car was salvaged or had been in any accidents before purchasing... apparently and unfortunelty the seller does not have to disclose this to the buyer unless asked (F$%# Laws) anyways I would contact the gvovernment to see why the vehicle was allowed to be registered if it had a previous salvage history.

Tik-Tok
04-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by shaggin
apparently and unfortunelty the seller does not have to disclose this to the buyer unless asked

Untrue.

ANY seller of a salvage titled vehicle must supply the buyer with a salvage inspection certificate, or a written statement saying it does not have a salvage inspection certificate.

A written complaint, along with copies of the pertinent invoices/bill of sale, must be submitted to the attention of the Manager, Motor Vehicle Inspection Program before the complaint will be evaluated.

Note: No action taken by Alberta Transportation will result in an award of financial compensation, you will still need to negotiate with the vendor and/or seek a civil court decision.

So make your written complaint, wait to get a response from the MVIP, then take him to civil court. You really shouldn't need a lawyer if the MVIP sides with you.

schurchill39
04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by shaggin
Did you friend ask the seller if the car was salvaged or had been in any accidents before purchasing... apparently and unfortunelty the seller does not have to disclose this to the buyer unless asked (F$%# Laws) anyways I would contact the gvovernment to see why the vehicle was allowed to be registered if it had a previous salvage history.

I dont know where you get your information from but its definitly untrue. It might pretain to minor accidents, I can see the seller not having to disclose that if he is not asked, but when a vehicle is given a salvage title: it NEEDS to be disclosed whether he asked about it or not.

Rx7
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

I dont know where you get your information from but its definitly untrue. It might pretain to minor accidents, I can see the seller not having to disclose that if he is not asked, but when a vehicle is given a salvage title: it NEEDS to be disclosed whether he asked about it or not.

How about if it is repaired?

Tik-Tok
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Rx7

Then you can read my previous post, which you obviously blew by.

Reading > you.

schurchill39
04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Rx7

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

ANY seller of a salvage titled vehicle must supply the buyer with a salvage inspection certificate, or a written statement saying it does not have a salvage inspection certificate.

If for some reason you dont understand what Tik-Tok said: if it was written off at one point in time it needs to be disclosed whether it was repaired or not. This must include either a salvage certificate or a written statment saying its has not been repaired

EDIT: Just figured I would throw in a little story here as an example... just to dumb it down ever more.

I had a 240sx that was writen off and I sold it to a friend. On the bill of sale I made sure it specifically said: THE 240sx WITH VIN .... IS A SALVAGE VEHICLE WITH NO REPAIRE TITLE. THIS VEHICLE IS SOLD AS IS FOR PARTS ONLY.

urban.one
10-05-2007, 10:40 PM
HE or SHE?

And this is taking a long time? Thats against you. Youve had this car for a long time.