PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sumo Lounge

msommers
03-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Located inside of Eau Claire Market by the North entrance

Ambience/Atmosphere: 8/10
Our group was situated in a somewhat private room which accommodated roughly 25 people. Space was tight in the corners. Our group was kind of loud inside the room but once outside of it, their volume was virtually undetectable. Mediocre "trendy" feeling. Nice Japanese art on the walls. Friendly is the first word that comes to mind to describe atmosphere. The rotating sushi/sashimi dishes as soon as you walk in is a little misleading and quite frankly poorly plotted. Would have been wise to situate the conveyor belt food grabbing elsewhere.

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 8.5/10
Food was excellent, extremely fresh tasting. Rice quality was one of the best I've had yet. I only got to try a few different rolls: spicy salmon, unagi, california, spider, rainbow along with various sashimis. All were very, very good. Sashimis were average in size. Rolls were some what disappointing in portion and is why I took 1.5 off. If the portions were larger, it would have been 10/10 hands-down. Other guests commented on their udon dishes which came out very positive. Presentation was nice, most rolls come on the regular wooden block however. Presentation on one fellow's eel dish was amazing. Most ladies commented on their alcoholic fruit drinks as "yummy".

Service: 10/10
Considering the size of our group, I found our waitress did well. Food was prepared in a timing manner, again factoring the size of our group. Our orders were organized for the most part. Manager was helping serve and was very friendly and was making jokes with some of the guys. Drinks were refilled at an excellent rate.

Price: 8/10
Pricing I felt was mostly fair. Quality of the food made up for the lack of portions. Most alcoholic beverages were moderately priced but some of the martinis for what I consider average mixes were getting pricey.

Overall: 8.5/10
I would recommend this restaurant. It has a variety of foods off of a menu if your other guests are not interested in eating raw food. An excellent selection of rolls and sashimis. A friendly atmosphere and good service are big points in my books . Serving Tiger beer also got extra points! My feeling coming from the restaurant was pleasant, I was extremely full however felt the price a tad high. Would I go back? Absolutely.

Si_FlyGuy
03-10-2007, 06:25 AM
good writeup, but you're easy to please if you give that joint such high marks. There's maybe one place in the city that I would give a 10/10 service for, and their meal costs $100+/head.

msommers
03-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
good writeup, but you're easy to please if you give that joint such high marks. There's maybe one place in the city that I would give a 10/10 service for, and their meal costs $100+/head.

Thanks for the comments. However, the way I feel about service, it has nothing to do with cost, and everything to do with...well..service. I could get better service at a mom and pop restaurant for $15/head than I could at $100/head.

davechoi1973
04-08-2007, 11:19 PM
OMG, I've been there once.. and that will be my last time there.

food wasn't too good.. i would say bad.. service was ok..

but the place wasn't clean at all....

so dirty. even glass of water, there was something flooting in the water.. and me and my wife left that place... and will never go back there.

Ice712
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Wow...are you the owner at Sumo because that place is AVERAGE at best.

10/10 for service in Calgary? Maybe...the way I look at it...if I get 7/10 service in Calgary I consider it 10/10.

Hey but it's just your opinion and if you liked it then keep giving them your business. Personally the few times I've been there was when some other company was picking up the tab and even then I went begrudgingly.

msommers
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
From what you guys are telling me, it was probably because of our large group we got such great service. I have yet to be back in a smaller group.

Service for me: waitress didn't mix things up, drinks refilled constantly, she was around often for us if we needed anything, good attitude and food came relatively quickly. Personally, I don't see what the problem is:dunno: