PDA

View Full Version : Will paypal give my money back?

R!zz0
03-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I bought some runners on ebay and it was "Buy now" item. The guy i bought it from is no longer a registered user on ebay. I sent 3 emails to that guy and he hasn't replied back to me as yet. I let paypal know about this and now i'm waiting for paypal to get back to me. Anyone gone through this before? I have bought alot of things on ebay and this is the first time i'm going through this. :banghead:

Dayclone
03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Start a claim with paypal, and they will investigate into it.

Steve

hussein
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
If you are buying from a person with high feed back and suspect it isn't a scam, then just request his information from ebay, and call him/her up.

Once when this happened to me when I bought a car alarm, I requested the guy's info, and called his phone number. It wasn't working, but he had a huge feedback. So I looked up his name online in a local directory, I think it was Brooklyn or something, and then he explained to me that his account was closed for some reason, and anyway, he was going to ship it and I didn't have anything to worry about. A week later or something I received it, and his ebay account was open again.

So sometimes it is just because ebay may close their account for some reason, but sometimes they aren't bad people.

drew_goring
03-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Odds are if he is no longer a member, he is a scammer, and has had his ebay account shut down. Also, if he is smart, he has already cleaned out his paypal account, and removed his banking/cc information. This allows paypal to rule in your favor when you do a dispute and he can't provide tracking numbers, but they will be unable to recover any funds. This is the worst case scenario.

I would say do a paypal dispute right now. If he provides legit tracking info, it is just canceled and you get your item. If not, you get your money back as long as he still has a balance in his account.

R!zz0
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
The last email i got from him was "I already shipped your item today" It's been a week now and i haven't gotten anything yet, not even a tracking number and it's coming from Ontario. How long does express mail take from Ontario to Calgary? What scares me is that he's not replying my emails back and that he's not a registered user.

frozenrice
03-10-2007, 08:15 PM
There's too many different scenarios to say what will happen.
My experience has been postitive with paypal (so far - touch wood). It took a long time but I did end up getting my money back. Read the information provided by paypal. Keep a close eye on timelines. You only have so many days after the initial purchase to start a dispute and then after that, there is a time period in which you have to try to resolve the dispute. If that cannot be resolved within that time frame you can then escalate your dispute to a claim. After a claim has been opened, there is a certain time alotted again to resolve it. At that time the claim is either approved or declined. Good luck.

oilerfan4lyfe
03-10-2007, 09:51 PM
If it's expresspost it only takes 2 business days.

Chances are he shipped using a regular parcel though which takes anywhere from 2-9 business days...usually about 4-5 from Ontario to Alberta.

Also, I had a situation where I didn't receive an item...I just said screw paypal and filed the claim through Mastercard instead. They sorted it out with paypal and I got my money back.

R!zz0
03-10-2007, 10:50 PM
^I'll have to call Mastercard and do the same if i don't get my parcel. I'll give him til Thursday. :(

civickid_21
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
When I tried to file a claim, paypal wouldn't do anything for me. What I ended up doing was calling my credit card company, after would not fill my claim, and my credit card company reversed the charges.

Xtrema
03-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Options:

1) Call credit card to reverse charges. Don't know what Paypal will do to you but I think you won't be able to use Paypal after that.

2) Go thru Ebay claim process and you can claim up to $500 minus $20 deductible.

ryanallan
03-11-2007, 12:54 AM
This actually happened to me not to long ago

I bought and paid for a t-shirt on eBay. The seller then canceled his account and I never herd from him again.

So I filed a clam with eBay and they "looked into the issue" and gave me my money back... I was impressed

D'z Nutz
03-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Always, ALWAYS charge it to your credit card when using Paypal. That way if for whatever reason Paypal won't cover you, you have your credit card company to turn to.

Remember, you have 60 days to file with eBay and 45 days with Paypal.

Isaiah
03-11-2007, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Always, ALWAYS charge it to your credit card when using Paypal. That way if for whatever reason Paypal won't cover you, you have your credit card company to turn to.

Remember, you have 60 days to file with eBay and 45 days with Paypal.

Good advice and tips. +1

oilerfan4lyfe
03-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Options:

1) Call credit card to reverse charges. Don't know what Paypal will do to you but I think you won't be able to use Paypal after that.

2) Go thru Ebay claim process and you can claim up to $500 minus $20 deductible.

Paypal didn't deactivate my account or anything like that - once Mastercard contacted them, I think they gave the seller 7 days to prove he sent the item. When he didn't reply, they refunded the money to Mastercard who gave the money back to me.

Also, there have been changes to eBay's claim process - I remember reading something about it a while ago - their deductibles and coverage limits have changed.

R!zz0
03-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I got my parcel :thumbsup:

I called their company after searching on the net i finally got hold of them. My parcel is in Calgary and i'll go pick it up tomorrow. He told me that he was having some problems with the shipping company and that's why there was a delay :rolleyes: