PDA

View Full Version : Inline Liquid - Air Intercooler - :cool:

Ekliptix
05-30-2003, 01:17 PM
http://store4.yimg.com/I/cheapturbo_1738_2920538

$500US

5.9 R/T
05-30-2003, 02:00 PM
Good if you can keep the water cool between WOT applications ie. drag racing, not so good if your hot lapping all day. Pretty pimp looking though, I wonder what the demensions on that are?

Ekliptix
05-30-2003, 02:38 PM
are you sure you know what this does?
it's not for keeping water cool.
Water flows through it, taking heat from the compressed air forced through the fins.
It's like a front mounted intercooler, except it's not front mounted and it's water to air, instead of air to air.

littledan
05-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Good if you can keep the water cool between WOT applications ie. drag racing, not so good if your hot lapping all day.

Originally posted by Ekliptix
it's not for keeping water cool.
Water flows through it, taking heat from the compressed air forced through the fins.

i think R/T knows what it does.. he's just saying that it might be tough to keep the water temp low enough to still provide adequate cooling for the charge...

Ekliptix
05-30-2003, 02:52 PM
i see. you'd need a little radiator for the IC fluid to cool down with.

4wheeldrift
05-30-2003, 03:15 PM
i see. you'd need a little radiator for the IC fluid to cool down with. Would be simple enough to do, a similar unit to an oil cooler should be sufficient for keeping the water cool.

Dirty_SOHC
05-30-2003, 03:32 PM
But would the water be always cold enough??

Ekliptix
05-30-2003, 03:39 PM
I would think that it'd be a heck of a lot cooler then the air.

5.9 R/T
05-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Guys, a water to air IC is not as efficient over a long period of time as an air to air IC. It is however more efficient over shorter periods of time. The properties of water allow it to absorb heat very well, much better then air so it takes longer to heat up, but conversely it does not let that heat go as quickly as air does, thus it takes a long time for the water to cool down after it has been heated up making it a poor choice for an IC if your doing anything more then short runs with long cool downs.

Edit: Also keep in mind that once the water is up to ambient temp you will never get it colder then ambient temp again, so what’s the point?

Haven’t a clue. :dunno:

3S-GTE
05-30-2003, 05:34 PM
i wonder if 2 heat exchanger w/ fan can cool the water. Cuz i'll be running w/ air to water intercooler. heres my set up for my intercooler

5.9 R/T
05-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 3S-GTE
i wonder if 2 heat exchanger w/ fan can cool the water. Cuz i'll be running w/ air to water intercooler. heres my set up for my intercooler

It will work better, but it looks like you need a bigger tank.

3S-GTE
05-30-2003, 05:55 PM
yeah i'll be getting bigger tank.

Hollywood
05-30-2003, 06:38 PM
i see. you'd need a little radiator for the IC fluid to cool down with.

That little radiator would be doing a similar function of an air to air IC so, you are kinda defeating the purpose of the water to air if u ask me.

Originally posted by 3S-GTE

For mr2's, porches, etc.. It's a more viable solution because it's hard to run IC pipes to the front.

2M6
05-30-2003, 07:01 PM
For mr2's, porches, etc.. It's a more viable solution because it's hard to run IC pipes to the front.

Don't forget Turbo Fieros=)

rx7_turbo2
05-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

That little radiator would be doing a similar function of an air to air IC so, you are kinda defeating the purpose of the water to air if u ask me.

Bingo. A little radiator would do very little once the water reached a certain temp. You could use a nitrous spray to cool that little rad the water flowed through but now the whole process is getting very complex and expensive. For most applications excluding the ones you mentioned (and turbo fiero;) ) a standard front mount air to air has proven to be the best bet.

redec
05-30-2003, 07:54 PM
hrmz....this thread has gotten me thinking...I wonder how well it would work to hook up a little compressor, and effectively put an air conditioner in your intake :P It wouldn't suffer from ambient temp problems, or heat soak because the expansion of the compressed whatever will always absorb a shitload of heat.....hrmz....I wonder if anyone has ever done this, and what problems they ran into...

rx7_turbo2
05-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by redec
hrmz....this thread has gotten me thinking...I wonder how well it would work to hook up a little compressor, and effectively put an air conditioner in your intake :P It wouldn't suffer from ambient temp problems, or heat soak because the expansion of the compressed whatever will always absorb a shitload of heat.....hrmz....I wonder if anyone has ever done this, and what problems they ran into...

The compressor would bring into affect parasitic drag.

Alpine Autowerks
05-30-2003, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ekliptix
I would think that it'd be a heck of a lot cooler then the air. [/QUOTE

The water CANNOT be cooler than the air. The abient air is where the heat is being carried to. the end view of the cooler appears to be more solid than void, it may have alot of pressure drop.

for drags you could pre cool the water with ice CO2 dry ice NO2

4wheeldrift
05-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

for drags you could pre cool the water with ice CO2 dry ice NO2 A lot of the drag cars I've seen using this type of setup have an insulated 5gal fuel cell in the trunk beside the regular one filled with ice water. Not sure how long it might take to empty that tank though. Probably couldn't get enough it in it to do more than a few runs.

Hollywood
05-31-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Bingo. A little radiator would do very little once the water reached a certain temp. You could use a nitrous spray to cool that little rad the water flowed through but now the whole process is getting very complex and expensive.

Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
The water CANNOT be cooler than the air. The abient air is where the heat is being carried to. the end view of the cooler appears to be more solid than void, it may have alot of pressure drop.

for drags you could pre cool the water with ice CO2 dry ice NO2 [/B]

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
A lot of the drag cars I've seen using this type of setup have an insulated 5gal fuel cell in the trunk

Now I look at this list above and I say why bother,

Radiator would need a compressed gas to cool, so now you have to buy and install that. Or use the dry ice...now u need dry ice to race? Or a 5 gal cell of water, so now your car has to haul more wieght and you need to get ice for the water to race.

To me just go buy a proper sized FMIC to match your setup, get good piping done or a nice kit (my kit was $1600.00). And for maximum effeciency, install the install Nitrous Express's "NX N-Tercooler", run it with CO2 and call it day.

rx7_turbo2
05-31-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood
Now I look at this list above and I say why bother,

Radiator would need a compressed gas to cool, so now you have to buy and install that. Or use the dry ice...now u need dry ice to race? Or a 5 gal cell of water, so now your car has to haul more wieght and you need to get ice for the water to race.

To me just go buy a proper sized FMIC to match your setup, get good piping done or a nice kit (my kit was $1600.00). And for maximum effeciency, install the install Nitrous Express's "NX N-Tercooler", run it with CO2 and call it day.

Exactly. Not only that but you can tune the car for when the water is cool and effective, and then what happens when it's not, intake temps rise and all the tuning goes out the window, it does'nt make for a very consistant tune. That's why drag racers us it, it only has to perform for a short period of time, then it can be "recharged" to use the term loosely, after every run.