they seem to be genre of choice lately, a few fav's are

chronicles of riddick
pitch black
jarhead
tears of the sun <best movie ever made
black hawk down

even movies about the "end of the world" are good too

day after tomorow
that one about the lava erupting throughout nyc and heading towards that hospital and neighborhoods (forget what it is)

there are a bunch of others that i forgot

any suggestions as to what to pick up tomorrow at the movie store???

cityhunter2501
03-11-2007, 01:20 AM
stargate
serenity (although its mediocre compared to the series IMO)

ercchry
03-11-2007, 01:23 AM
does it have to be new? because if not i would say go with full metal jacket or platoon, both are great movies :thumbsup:

boxer23
03-11-2007, 01:26 AM
how about independance day if it counts:thumbsup:

crazy_gt
03-11-2007, 01:33 AM
starship troopers:clap:

Palmiros
03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
http://www.canmag.com/images/front/movies2007/300-poster3.jpg

h_s
03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
awesome guys, new and old are both good, thanks

Supa Dexta
03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Enemy at the gates
we were soldiers
rules of engagement

calgarys_finest
03-11-2007, 11:58 AM
dark fury its animation but its the movie that connects pitch black to chronicals of riddick.

Crymson
03-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Event Horizon -- is an awesome space/horror

Aliens --second in the series, directed by james cameron, fantastic sci-fi action.

Apocaplyse Now -- not a "war movie" exactly, set during the Vietnam war. Amazing soundtrack, amazing story.

Full metal Jacket -- no description necessary, if you haven't seen it yet, its the first thing you need to see.

Platoon -- rent it with FMJ.

Three Kings -- funny movie about Gulf war I with Ice cube, and George clooney. Went somewhat unnoticed, but was a good movie.

Dune -- the 80's version, with Sting in it. Great movie if you're familiar with the story. One of the best Sci-fi stories in existence, the movie only scratches the surface of the books.

Band Of Brothers -- HBO series, essentially 10 hours of Saving private Ryan quality film. Fantastic.

Uprising -- about a Jewish revolt in the polish ghettos during wwii. Interesting. Would go well with Enemy at the Gates, in an eastern theater wwii theme night.

BigDannyCool
03-13-2007, 04:52 AM
Saving Private Ryan was good. There's Flags of our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima is supposed to be better but i haven't watched it yet.

QuasarCav
03-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Band of brothers has me on the couch for 10 hours straight, it's an amazing mini-series.

Envitro
03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Yup. I can watch Band of Brothers in 10 hours straight also. I did it on two separate occasions. One of the best, most realistic portrayals of WWII ever. I would even go so far to say that it's better in a sense thatn Saving Private Ryan because it goes deeper into the characters (obviously more time).

Full Metal Jacket is another good one for sure.

The Thin Red Line is good, but it's kind of done in a strange way. It's a good war movie though.

eb0i
03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Alien and Aliens
:thumbsup:

3g4me
03-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Post apocalyptic - Mad max trilogy, postman,
War movies - flags of our fathers, tigerland, platoon, sands of iwo jima, the dirty dozen, where eagles dare. Lots of good old war movies, pretty much anything with eastwood or the duke are worth seeing.

BigMass
03-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Just some token stuff

Aliens
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Das Boot
Blackhawk Down
12 Monkeys (Apocalyptic)

But you think Tears of the Sun is the best movie ever made so I don’t really know about your movie tastes.

b_t
03-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. Seriously.

Vagabond142
03-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Good sci-fi war movies:

-Underworld and Underworld Evolution (great action, lots of guns and lots of Kate Beckinsale in skintight latex catsuit :drool: )
-Starship Troopers (not much in the story department, but guns, guts n boobies.... perfect war movie)
-Aliens (It's game over, man...)
-Wing Commander (absolutely SUCKED as a telling of the games, but decent action scenes. Rent it if you don't mind a few brain cells killed off)

Good war movies all around:

-300 (go see it in theaters. Now. Do it. N-O-W!)
-Saving Private Ryan (decent war movie)
-Band of Brothers (best miniseries ever, bar none, in relation to war)
-Black Hawk Down (good war movie. Lots of action, but lots of story too)

projekt_roy
03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Two classics...

1) The Last Starfighter
2) Enemy Mine

Calssic late 80s SciFi flicks.

JAYMEZ
03-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Hrmm old movies...

5th Element
I robot
independance day
Judge Dredd
Dune

ummm thats all i could think of

krisopotamus
03-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Enemy at the gates

x2 for that one. and x2 for 12 monkeys, that was a great movie

I always liked Armageddon.

Not really "space travel" or war but I will always recommend Donnie Darko...it is about time travel....very very good movie i've seen it like double digit times and still don't fully understand it...its sweet

And if you are into the sci fi outer space crap watch the movie "Contact". I usually hate sci fi space type movies but I loved this one.

The search for life outside our solar system becomes a personal and spiritual quest for a young researcher. Ellie Arroway (Jodie Foster) is a scientist who lost her faith in God after her parents died when she was a child. However, Ellie has learned to develop a different sort of faith in the seemingly unknowable: working with a group that monitors radio waves from... More space, Ellie hopes that some day she will receive a coherent message from another world that will prove that there is a world beyond our own. Ellie's hard work is rewarded when her team picks up a signal that does not appear to be of earthly origin. Ellie decodes the message, which turns out to be plans for a space craft, which she takes as an invitation for a meeting with the aliens. Ellie and her fellow researchers soon run into interference from a White House scientific advisor, David Drumlin (Tom Skerritt), who cuts off their funding and tries to take credit for their achievements. However, Ellie receives moral support from Palmer Joss (Matthew McConaughey), a spiritual teacher who advises President Clinton and tries to persuade her to accept the existence of a higher power, and financial backing from S.R. Hadden (John Hurt), a multi-millionaire willing to fund her attempts to contact the source of the message. Contact was based on a novel by Carl Sagan, who advised director Robert Zemeckis during the film's production until his death in 1996

legereandrew4
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Gladiator, The patriot(with mel gibson), no one mentioned these two

Orbie
04-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Seven Samurai, black and white & captioned but one of the best movies ever made period regardless of genre.

brownskind
04-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Dead Presidents : excellent vietnam war/robbery/heist movie...its a revolutionary black film

war of the world was entertaining but the first time

300 was fuckin great

Terminator 2 is one of my all times favourites

windtalkers? Or something is the one with those guys who bypassed intellgence with thir weird langauge...nicolas cage is in it....wats all this hype on band of brothers...thats not a 10 hr movie is it? some info oim intrested

excuse my typing...usin cellphone and i cant c wat im typin..lol

A weird way o

Orion12
04-27-2007, 04:55 PM
A few good war movies that haven't been listed yet:

WWII

-The Great Escape
-The Bridge on the River Kwai
-The Devil's Brigade

Vietnam War

-The Green Berets
-Go Tell The Spartans

:guns:

treg50
04-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Some outer-space movies:

Mission to Mars
Red Planet
Contact

Contact is the best of these three for me. I liked the story and 'the unknown' factor and it seemed the most "realistic." A good alternative to the basic action types.

Dayclone
04-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Godzilla!!! (Kidding...)

Umm

Band of Brothers
Platoon
Blackhawk Down
U-571
Jarhead
Gatica or however you spell it... It's a cool space movie! (old thought) like 90's?
Red October