PDA

View Full Version : Which SUV to get

j0nblayz
03-12-2007, 12:27 PM
i'm looking for an suv, dunno what to get. Currently i'm looking into a Grand Cherokee SRT8, but its a 2 year waiting list to get one. I did however found one in Edsun, they have 1 black one in stock, wants around 65 for it. i was hoping to spend not more then 50,000. It would be even better if i spent way less, what suv do you guys recommend? something not too big like h3 since i have to park underground at work. My choices so far are:

BMW X5
Esclade
Esclade EXT
Grand Cherokee SRT8
Range Rover Sport

which one should i get? need good gas mileage also. Or what other suv's do you guys recommend?

redline
03-12-2007, 12:31 PM
If you need good gas mileage dont buy any of those...

and unless you are buying used all those are out of the price range...

j0nblayz
03-12-2007, 12:38 PM
the rest of the ones on the list will be used for sure.

trikypenguin
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
range rover hands down

FreakinPrince
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
what about an Acura MDX? or the RDX??

or the honda Tour something

510-Trevor
03-12-2007, 01:08 PM
How about a used Porsche Cayenne? :drool:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-Cayenne-Cayenne-S-CAYENNE-S-V8-VERY-CLEAN-WE-ARE-A-MERCEDES-DEALERSHIP_W0QQitemZ270096938756QQihZ017QQcategoryZ43923QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

According to RIV its admissable.

hjr
03-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by trikypenguin
range rover hands down why? so that its in the shop 15 days a month, haha.

the x5 is my personal favorite of the ones you have listed, but if you are at all concerned with gas mileage then none of them (especially the srt) would be a good choice. if you are definitely stuck on an suv then look at honda/toyota/nissans smaller truck line-ups. i believe jeep is comming out with a 6cly diesel? could be an option.

benyl
03-12-2007, 01:16 PM
The SRT8 has the worst mileage of the bunch. 12mpg. 10 if you like to punch it.

Range Rover Sport is just an LR3 for more money. Guzzles gas too.

Good gas consumption and SUV don't go together. You want something good on gas, buy a civic.

Masked Bandit
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Best bang for the buck if you are looking at keeping it for a few years is a Toyota 4Runner IMHO.

They hold their value really well. If you want to see what I mean, just look at the prices of them when they are only two or three years old. Compare that with a three year old Jeep Cherokee and you'll never buy domestic.

Mitsu3000gt
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
IMO the Escalades are built like pieces of shit, with plastic everywhere, uneven seams, and cheap everything. It probably costs 1/10 or less of what they sell it for, but I suppose if people buy them why wouldn't they charge that much? Theres a reason they depreciate 50% in a couple years. When I rode in one I felt like I was in a $20,000 vehicle.

I've read a lot of good about that SRT 8 but as previously mentioned you will be filling up all the time, and interior quality will be inferior to some other choices if you care. I'd go X5/4 Runner/ Range Rover if I were you.

Or, if you need the space, pick up a 2004+ Audi S4 wagon.

dj_rice
03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
BMW X5 :thumbsup:

sk65guy
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Esclade EXT:love: :clap:

Jed Bouscal
03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
what about an Acura MDX? or the RDX??

or the honda Tour something

MDX is 55-70k. Man the 07 is sweet though. Doesn't look like he's a fan of Japanese vehicles though.

I haven't been too impressed with the Range Rovers I've seen up close, or the Escalade. Really depends what you're in to I guess - I think this will come down to a personal style choice.

infected
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I really like the look of the new Honda Elements. Too bad they don't come in 4wd. IIRC they're around 40k+.

benyl
03-12-2007, 06:32 PM
elements do come in AWD, no low range, if that is what you mean.

civic_epidemic
03-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I would go with the new X-5, thing handles awesome, it's nice to sit in. Just the design of it is really good.
Then I would go for the Range Rover Sport

dino_martini
03-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by infected
I really like the look of the new Honda Elements. Too bad they don't come in 4wd. IIRC they're around 40k+.

Do you mean the Honda Pilot? The big 7 passenger one...

Like Mitsu3000gt said, go buy a S4 wagon. Way better then an SUV ever will be.

Hakkola
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
LOL, not big like the H3, but you have escalade on your list?

FYI, the Escalades are pieces of shit, probably the most over rated vehicle I have ever driven. :thumbsdow

X5 and Range Rover sport are nice, but the sport sounds like it is out of your price range, so go for a used X5.

Rav4Guy
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
i'm looking for an suv, dunno what to get. Currently i'm looking into a Grand Cherokee SRT8, but its a 2 year waiting list to get one. I did however found one in Edsun, they have 1 black one in stock, wants around 65 for it. i was hoping to spend not more then 50,000. It would be even better if i spent way less, what suv do you guys recommend? something not too big like h3 since i have to park underground at work. My choices so far are:

BMW X5
Esclade
Esclade EXT
Grand Cherokee SRT8
Range Rover Sport

which one should i get? need good gas mileage also. Or what other suv's do you guys recommend?

1. For 50K, you can't get any of those.
2. "Something not as big like a H3" but you're looking at an Escalade EXT?

so.. for 50k + "smaller than a H3" = nothing on that list of yours.

5hift
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Dont get a Range Rover unless you plan on having a backup car for when the Range is in the shop because it will be there half the time. A good friend of mine had one, and it was always needing some kind of repair. I think the happiest day for him, was when the Range got written off because he wouldnt have been able to sell if for half of what he paid for it.

SilverGS
03-15-2007, 11:19 AM
What are your main wants for the SUV?

Fuel Consumption?
Available Power?
Offroading?
Towing Power?
Storage Space?

For 50k you are looking at a RDX or X3. Not as big but they have good power for the price and size and have lots of included features. Rav4 v6 is great bang for the buck as well

If you are looking for a bigger SUV then you will definetely need to go used for any of the ones in your list for that price range. Range Rovers are great for offroading from what I understand and 4Runners just keep going. Havn't heard great things about the Range Rover or Cherokee reliability but that was for the older versions. Not sure about the SRT8.

X5 is great but its very pricey.