PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto Fixes

Schwa
03-12-2007, 06:36 PM
What have you done to fix crap on your car that is considered "ghetto"?

Let me start:

heatshield rattling against my cat as I drove to Vancouver, so I paid a shop $20 to jack it up and throw a hoseclamp around the heatshield and the cat. Was temporary but it never came back so I jsut left it on.

cubby hole underneath my deck is actually taped to the deck since I couldn't find an appropriate place for the mounting screws. You wouldn't be able to tell looking at it though!

GTS Jeff
03-13-2007, 03:00 AM
I mounted both amplifiers on my Corolla with scrap wood I found in dumpsters. It's a very clean install though, the factory carpet covers the scrap wood nicely.

3G
03-13-2007, 08:17 AM
i had a hole in my muffler on my old beater so i cut the ends off a pop can, got 2 screw clamps and put it on the whole worked prety good though

projekz
03-13-2007, 10:41 AM
My buddy put electric tape on his instrument cluster to cover the check engine light in his old 90 325ix. works awesome.

QuasarCav
03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I drilled a hole in the floor of my old Cavalier to drain the footwell of water.

Jackc
03-13-2007, 11:02 AM
My drivers side mirror was partly held on with electrical tape for the longest time. The mirror was black plastic though, so you could barely even notice.

Annoyingrob
03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I had a wine cork with a hole drilled in it stuck into my idle speed control valve because it didnt work.

snowboard
03-13-2007, 11:13 AM
one of my windsheild whipers is electric taped to the arm haha, it has budged all winter so i guess it worked all right.

my tailgate has no latch just two little fence slider holder closer things. so i have to ratchet straps going from my roll bars to where the handle should be haha..

pretty much every stereo i have had has been ghetto wired. but worked great haha

BlueGoblin
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I had a convertible with a soft top that over a year went from being repaired with duct tape, to being entirely duct tape. It actually looked kind of cool from about 50 feet away.

The same car had a piece of firewood that I had modifed to hold one of the seatbacks upright as well....

Ah, the fun of trying to maintain a car on a student's budget...

alloroc
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Check out these "Boro" Mods. ...

http://geocities.com/nuahs_cx/eft.html

GTS Jeff
03-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Check out these "Boro" Mods. ...

http://geocities.com/nuahs_cx/eft.html Holy shit, you win for the ziptie brake lines. :thumbsup:

alloroc
03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
LOL .. not me just someone that used to be active on toyotanation.com back in the day.

DALLEN
03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 3G
i had a hole in my muffler on my old beater so i cut the ends off a pop can, got 2 screw clamps and put it on the whole worked prety good though

I did somthing like that i had a hole in my exhaust so i used a soup can some high heat silicone sealent and some clamps haha:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Dallen

bmeier
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
i was replacing the blower motor on a 1982 volvo 240, what makes this difficult is that you have to rip literally the entire dash out of the car to get at it. So instead i took a hole saw to the side of the blower housing and cut a large hole to gain access. then i glued the housing back together.

Turned a 4 hour job into 30 minutes :)

Ogpogo
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
My jeep was king of ghetto fixes. Radio and wires were duct taped in, used a beer can and high temp sealant to patch an exhaust leak, used a cutout from a fruitloops cereal box for a gasket when I blew one on the trail, snorkel made of pvc piping (cmon, low budget trail guys do that one), body was rusting, so I sanded and covered the whole truck in flat black rust proof paint, bust a rear driveshaft out at mclean, didnt have money to buy a new u-joint, so I ended up driving my jeep in FWD for over a week till next paycheck (the front driveshaft on a yj is not meant to be used on its own, its about 1/5th as thick as the rear), tons of vacuum leaks so instead of finding and fixing or replacing all the lines, i coated almost every one in high temp sealant, jeeps use a million torx head bolts, and I usually didnt have the matching pattern so for a lot of them I just cut them off. The list goes on, id rather save the embarrassment for now.

snowboard
03-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ogpogo
My jeep was king of ghetto fixes. Radio and wires were duct taped in, used a beer can and high temp sealant to patch an exhaust leak, used a cutout from a fruitloops cereal box for a gasket when I blew one on the trail, snorkel made of pvc piping (cmon, low budget trail guys do that one), body was rusting, so I sanded and covered the whole truck in flat black rust proof paint, bust a rear driveshaft out at mclean, didnt have money to buy a new u-joint, so I ended up driving my jeep in FWD for over a week till next paycheck (the front driveshaft on a yj is not meant to be used on its own, its about 1/5th as thick as the rear), tons of vacuum leaks so instead of finding and fixing or replacing all the lines, i coated almost every one in high temp sealant, jeeps use a million torx head bolts, and I usually didnt have the matching pattern so for a lot of them I just cut them off. The list goes on, id rather save the embarrassment for now.

haha handsomebassman?

Huskee
03-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm good at ghetto fixes. Lessee...

TRUCK-
When I was 15, I got my first car, a 1982 F150XLT. The sides were completely rusted out, and the truck was black. I bought some black duct-tape, and did the bodywork on my truck with duct tape.

I lost about a third of the intake manifold bolts on that truck, so I just used a shitton of RTV instead. Worked fine.

Wasn't getting very good gas milage, so I cranked the mixture screws full lean. Got a few miles per gallon, but I'm sure the engine hated me for it.

Transmission started slipping, so I squirted some gear oil in(automatic). Didn't slip again.

Radio quit working. Took a house radio and an inverter, and mounted them in the dash.

FIRST CAR
When I was 16, I sold the truck for five-hundy, and bought a 1991 Grand Prix SE with rod knock for 100 bucks. Started ghettoing it before I even got home.

Drove the thing home, thought, "Man, this thing is a DOG. Even for a 3.1V6 with rod knock, DOG!!!". Turns out the e-brake was stuck on. Made it three-quarters of the way, and then since I couldn't unstick it, I just cut the cable.

Couldn't find a GP engine, so I put bonneville engine in it(same thing, but some pieces are different)

Smashed everything in the engine bay getting the engine out and putting the new one in. Didn't fix most of it.

ran without a MAP sensor for a few weeks.

Ran without an air intake or filter for like, six months.

Popped both front struts, but noticed that if I hit bumps REALLY hard, the noise wasn't as loud. Started hitting speed-bumps like a rally car hits dirt. I actually got air.

Blew up that engine. Replaced it with a 310,000 mile one.

SECOND CAR:
Well, I made a turbo setup from just pieces of pipe laying around the shop. That oughta be ghetto enough.

And every car I own gets a PVC intake.

duffspec
03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Ghetto upgrade:

Installed the biggest ghetto wing known to man on one of the smallest nissan cars ever built with carpet foam and bolts from a toilet... Blue 87 Pulsar

edicius
03-14-2007, 03:07 AM
My whole car...
I have a lightbulb plugging a vacuum hose on the intake.

I made a bracket out of the steel used for table legs (its think steel with a 90 degree bend in it, and lots of holes for mounting the shelves) flattened it and then stuck a bolt in it to reinforce my airbox to prevent it collapsing under boost.

I got sick of making my exhaust hangers so I wrapped the pipe and the rubber hangers with a chain and then welded the nut closed.

The front springs I put in were too tall so I just cut them.

I didn't like the travel in the clutch pedal so I added 2 washers on the clutch fork pivot to push it out 5mm and change the pivot point to reduce pedal travel.

My throttle cable snapped at the plastic adjuster, so I used some hollow steel pipe, cut a slit into it to put the cable through, then slide the pipe over the broken area and tightened it down with a hose clamp.

My dad was fed up with the rust in my spare tire wells so he used spray foam to seal it up, then painted the spray foam so it wasn't noticable.