PDA

View Full Version : quality in polarizer filters?

imola_dreams
03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
So i've been looking at getting a polarizer filter, 77mm, and low and behold I find out they have different levels of filters but they don't really state the differences such as hmc, super hmc, pro1 and ultra thin. Ok so the big question i have is which offers the relative best performance. I am going to assume thinner glass should be better, just an assumption though. any thoughts?

msommers
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I've been looking at a lot of these lately. I also am getting a 77mm thread size. The one I am going to go with is a Nikon 77mm CP-L II. It's multicoated which helps lens flare and scratching. It's Nikon, so you're getting quality. Plus it's slim/thin.

Slim/thin characteristics only help if you have multiple filters on the lens to avoid getting vignetting (darkening of corners but it's starts to capture your filter edges). Stacking filters, from what I have read thus far, is not advised by anyone. So if you're using a UV/clear filter for protection, take it off and put the polarizer on.

Decent ones aren't cheap but why cheap out on a filter when you've already spent 500+ on a lens. Getting a large size like 77mm is also a good idea, even if you have smaller thread sizes as you can get generic step up rings.

The difference between a B+W $20US step up ring vs. a $7US generic brand step up ring is beyond me, unless one is brass and the other is plastic, which I can't see being the case.

imola_dreams
03-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Ya I hear you on that, I spent $1200 on the one lens. The polarizer we are looking at was something in the $140 ranger, was multi coated and 5mm thick. I never thought of the vignette effect to tell you the truth. I'll be shooting a few weddings this summer paid for the first time so i really want to give the client the best quality possible obviously.

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I bought a Kenko 67mm extra wide multicoated circular polizer. It was $100. TCS told me it was very good. I've also heard it is possibly the same unit as the Hoya's. You can buy hoyas for $45 at best buy.

lint
03-14-2007, 09:00 AM
unless you plan on using the polarizer on an ultrawide, don't get the ultra thin. With a reg polarizer you can still your your lens cap. An ultra thin has no front threads, so you can't use a reg cap, you can only use the push on cap that comes with the polarizer, which doesn't tend to stay on very well.