PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones

TyzToyz
03-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Is anyone planning on taking advantage of the new number portability taking place today.
Basically means you can switch service providers and bring your current # with you.
I am currently with Telus (9 years) and was thinking about switching service providers. I'm getting sick of all the "little charges" and service fees they seem to milk out of you.
I would like to hear some personal experiences from people using different service providers. Both good and bad.
Anyone using Virgin, Fido, Rogers, or Bell? What is their service coverage like? What are their rate plans like?

Thanks for any input .

Tye

accordboi_02
03-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Depends on what your needs are.
I use Virgin Mobile as I don't need that many minutes.
$20/month for 200 mins, Call ID, and Voicemail, and none of those BS system access fees or 911 fees.
For those kind of minutes with all the necessary features included, it can't be beat.

Also noticed if you switch today, Virgin will give you the purchase price of your phone back to you via credit. Free phone without a contract... damn should have waited longer to switch...

eb0i
03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm going to do it soon. Switching my old telus number over to my current rogers phone...yay!

Shane1
03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm with Rogers, the wife with Bell.

we'll be switching her over today onto a family plan.

We both averaged over $60 month ea. and can get both for that price now.

Rogers is quite good for coverage and service. They do suck though if you carry a balance... you'll get calls and letters. It's apparently an automated process and it starts 3 mins after your payment is due and in some cases before it's due...

I learned this the first month or two I was with them. been a customer now for 5/6+ years...

spikerS
03-14-2007, 11:58 AM
i work for telus mobility, since this is the first day this WNP (wireless number portability) is happening, i am expecting it to be quite busy. talked to a friend who works for rogers, and apparently according to him, there is a mass exodus leaving rogers lol.

Shane1
03-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by spikers
i work for telus mobility, since this is the first day this WNP (wireless number portability) is happening, i am expecting it to be quite busy. talked to a friend who works for rogers, and apparently according to him, there is a mass exodus leaving rogers lol.

AHHH that's hilarious. i know someone who works for Bell and they said they have customers lined up days deep to switch to Rogers. There will be some crazy stuff happening here. Wonder if it will go smooth or have some disruptions or breakdowns...?

spikerS
03-14-2007, 01:17 PM
ummm, bell does not own rogers, 2 totally different companies there....

rogers does own Fido tho...

Bell is it's own entity, as is Telus.

so, how this person you know that works at bell knows what is happening at rogers, I got no clue.

spikerS
03-14-2007, 01:18 PM
ahh, nvm, i think i understand your post now. people leaving bell, and stating they are going to rogers, i got it now.

djayz
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
ill wait a while then call and get a better deal on my plan.

the only good thing this brings to existing customers is competition which brings better prices. :D

Annoyingrob
03-14-2007, 11:22 PM
I've been with bell for close to 3 years. My contract expired last May, and they pissed me off so much that I decided not to renew, and wait out number portability.

I went out this afternoon, and switched to Rogers. Took about 6 hours to get my number switched over. It's all good now.

I just can't give up a phone number that ends in -BEER now can I?

eblend
03-15-2007, 12:32 AM
doesn't effect me at all, i am with rogers and have 0 desire switching to anything other then rogers :D

bluetek
03-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by eblend
doesn't effect me at all, i am with rogers and have 0 desire switching to anything other then rogers :D

Same. I need that GSM network. Anyways ive been with rogers for the longest time. Got a wicked corporate plan outta them too. Good customer service, and support. Not to mention they have the best phones outta the current cell phone providers of canada. Plus the coverage is real good. I have never had a dropped call since they merged with fido and they work most of the time in basements when all my friends phones on bell or telus dont.

So i'd go with Rogers if I were you. I have never had a problem with them.

codetrap
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM

sam_p
03-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by bluetek

Same. I need that GSM network. Anyways ive been with rogers for the longest time. Got a wicked corporate plan outta them too. Good customer service, and support. Not to mention they have the best phones outta the current cell phone providers of canada. Plus the coverage is real good. I have never had a dropped call since they merged with fido and they work most of the time in basements when all my friends phones on bell or telus dont.

So i'd go with Rogers if I were you. I have never had a problem with them.

bluetek,
any insights on a corporate plan with rogers? I'm with bell and wanting to switch over to rogers but i do have quite a nice corporate plan that rogers wont even come close to matching .. any advice?

Isaiah
03-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't Rogers lease thier tower space from Telus and Bell to provide service... so you're really just flying over the Telus or Bell Network?

You stand corrected. Some of the Rogers sites are co-located with Telus or Bell sites which means that both networks have their own equipment on the same site. That aside, Rogers by far has the largest network in Canada. Yes, there are regions in northern Alberta that have superior Telus coverage which benefits customers in O & G, and Bell's coverage is superior in SOME parts of Quebec. Having said that, Rogers' coverage overall can not be beat.

Rogers will definitely be the short and long term winner of WNP.

RaptorGJC
03-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I have Rogers and they are damn good. My buddy has Rogers too, but he doesn't like Rogers (doesn't pay his bills:D ). Rogers has the best coverage by far. From parking lot to mountain top at Sunshine Village.:thumbsup:

The only problem I've had with Rogers is that people try to call me, but it doesn't show up on my phone history. Then again, it could be their phone company.

This is a bit off topic, but is Apple's iPhone suited for Rogers SIM card? I'd get one if Rogers provides it.

A2VR6
03-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by RaptorGJC

This is a bit off topic, but is Apple's iPhone suited for Rogers SIM card? I'd get one if Rogers provides it.

Yep the iPhone is a GSM phone... so as long as it's unlocked, you can get it for Rogers.

Isaiah
03-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Yep the iPhone is a GSM phone... so as long as it's unlocked, you can get it for Rogers.

But i wouldn't until they release an 850 version which I don't expect will take longer than Q4. Everyone rushed to get the Razors when they first hit and were paying a grand for a sub-standard performance phone, then Rogers picked it up and dropped an 850 version for $250.

RiCE-DaDDy
03-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

But i wouldn't until they release an 850 version which I don't expect will take longer than Q4. Everyone rushed to get the Razors when they first hit and were paying a grand for a sub-standard performance phone, then Rogers picked it up and dropped an 850 version for $250.

And what makes you think the iphone won't have 850 band? It's an AMERICAN phone being released on cingular, of course it will have 850.