PDA

View Full Version : Official AP1/AP2 Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

LUDELVR
01-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

you think Leo will make a Mugen hardtop out of a garden shed??

They are on special!! ;)

xviper
01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Also, why are they resetting their ecu's? Throwing too many codes?
This goes back to the day when people were using VAFCs a lot. Many felt that altering the signals as provided by a piggy back ECU will be nullified in time by the stock ECU and only by resetting it from time to time, can you be sure that the new parameters are maintained. This has never actually been proven, but people do it anyway.

LUDELVR
01-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by xviper

This goes back to the day when people were using VAFCs a lot. Many felt that altering the signals as provided by a piggy back ECU will be nullified in time by the stock ECU and only by resetting it from time to time, can you be sure that the new parameters are maintained. This has never actually been proven, but people do it anyway.

You're running a CT/SC correct? Have you ever had to do anything like this in order to get it running? I've been reading success stories with the emanage ultimate but then again I'm not too sure what they've gone through to get to that point.

dimi
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM

You're running a CT/SC correct? Have you ever had to do anything like this in order to get it running? I've been reading success stories with the emanage ultimate but then again I'm not too sure what they've gone through to get to that point.

I am talking about Emanage ultimate. That is the best emanage and there isn't a point at looking at the lower models.

From what I recall reading, when installing the Emanage Ult you have to reset the stock ECU. Don't quote me on this though, it is the impression I was left with.

When it is reset then it will take around a week to relearn (a week's worth of driving). So you have the car towed to the tuner, he does the tune and then it is useless tomorrow because the computer changed the fuel curves and timing around again as it is still learning.

With an AEM EMS or Kpro there is no stock ECU (Kpro is a programmable RSX ECU). IMO do this the right way, spend some more money and you will be happy. If you get the EMS or Kpro, you can later get a 3mm HG, injectors, retune and you will be in the 400s depending on your turbo size. Keep in mind very few people settle at 7 psi and call it a day, everyone wants more boost sooner or later.

Plus from when I talked to Toma it sounded to me that he is very experienced with AEM EMS. On the other hand he said he does Emanages rarely, so if you are going to use him, I would be inclined to go EMS.

Good Luck

xviper
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM

I'm running a Vortech with the stock Vortech "Split Second" timing box and stock Vortech MAP clamp. I've never had to do anything with it at all. I bolted the thing on right out of the box and it's been running just fine for years. Last year, I noticed that the A/F was getting a bit rich, so I took a gamble and put in a high boost pulley. This took care of the richness and gave me another 2 psi of boost and more grunt. A/F is right where it should be now. The car ran perfectly right out of the box with the Vortech and has never been a problem even with the high boost pulley. It runs just like stock until you put your foot into it.

LUDELVR
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM

I'm running a Vortech with the stock Vortech "Split Second" timing box and stock Vortech MAP clamp. I've never had to do anything with it at all. I bolted the thing on right out of the box and it's been running just fine for years. Last year, I noticed that the A/F was getting a bit rich, so I took a gamble and put in a high boost pulley. This took care of the richness and gave me another 2 psi of boost and more grunt. A/F is right where it should be now. The car ran perfectly right out of the box with the Vortech and has never been a problem even with the high boost pulley. It runs just like stock until you put your foot into it.

That's awesome! So can you verify what dimi was saying? I've done heaps of reading (and there's a HEAP of it on s2ki) on the emanage ultimate, but haven't seen too many threads on guys having to constantly reset their ecu's and re-tune it to accommodate changes.

dimi
01-08-2009, 12:30 PM

That's awesome! So can you verify what dimi was saying? I've done heaps of reading (and there's a HEAP of it on s2ki) on the emanage ultimate, but haven't seen too many threads on guys having to constantly reset their ecu's and re-tune it to accommodate changes.

You don't have to constantly reset your ECU. In fact that is what you don't want to do.

But from what I have gathered you have to reset it when you install the emanage and it takes about a week for it to relearn. The way it learns though is through driving, so if you aren't driving it will be not be learning anything. Tuning it at that point will not be useful as it constantly adjusting its settings. Driving it is also not desired as you have an untunned turbo. Well you could but you have to make sure you don't get into boost at all.

It works for low psi centrfugal superchargers as they don't produce much boost on partial throttle (on low boost), so you don't have to mess around with the partial too much. A turbo will spin and make boost even if you give 50% throttle. Now full throttle on the stock ECU is a closed loop, meaning that it does NOT run off what the sensors are telling it, rather a predetermined fuel map. On partial throttle it does, which means that it takes input from all the sensors and adjusts the fuel/timing accordingly.

Therefore you see why it is easy to tune full throttle but partial throttle is hard to deal with and you will be making boost on partial throttle and will need to tune it.

dimi
01-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, you can pull it off with Emanage Ult. There is just so much adjustability with AEM EMS that it justifies its price. For instance with Ult you can only pull timing. EMS allows you to go high boost which sooner or later you will want to do.

As well you always have to think about who will be tuning and what they are good with. As they say, its all in the tune, and if you are going with Toma I would highly recommend going with AEM EMS.

Good Luck

LUDELVR
01-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Don't get me wrong, you can pull it off with Emanage Ult. There is just so much adjustability with AEM EMS that it justifies its price though. For instance with Ult you can only pull timing. EMS allows you to go high boost which sooner or later you will want to do.

As well you always have to think about who will be tuning and what they are good with. As they say, its all in the tune, and if you are going with Toma I would highly recommend going with AEM EMS.

Good Luck

I totally agree with you mate! My brain is hurting after reading all the threads about tuning!

In the end, almost everyone is concluding that it's the tuner who will make or break the car.

I've read a few posts where people are saying that in the even that they need to reset anything , they unplug the emanage and let the ecu run for a bit and then plug the emu back in and because the settings are saved it will relearn from that again.

I've also read posts from people stating that they haven't had to touch anything for several months because their tuners have made adjustments that will compensate for any fuel trimming that is required.

Brain is hurting!! Too many posts and threads!!!! :banghead:

4doorj
01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
New j's widebody kit coming out
http://www.r-spec.gr/spaw/images/components/new-front-bumber-s2000_1.jpg
http://www.r-spec.gr/spaw/images/components/New-boddy-kit-s2000.jpg-2.jpg
http://www.r-spec.gr/spaw/images/components/new-fronT-FENDER--s2000_1.jpg
http://www.r-spec.gr/spaw/images/components/new-REAR-FENDER--s2000_1.jpg

shadowz
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Yup seen the drawing a couple months ago, should be quite the kit

Redlyne_mr2
01-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Holly shit thats nice... Chowfun get on that!

xviper
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM

No, I can't comment on it from personal experience. I've never had the need to use an alternate type of engine management other than what was provided by Vortech.

JKL@STRD
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
that kit is CRAZY i want!! :drool:

zain123
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
passenger seat is still wrapped.. shiet fresh
fender lines are insaanee on this

88CRX
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Holy shit that is all kinds of awesome!

EK 2.0
01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by zain123
passenger seat is still wrapped.. shiet fresh
fender lines are insaanee on this

Drivers seat...;)

Jlude
01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Love it anyways, but wondering what exactly the back end looks like.

That fuckin' soft top ruins it! Hardtop FTW!

zain123
01-09-2009, 03:35 AM
lol oh shiet it is drivers side
ahaha i was amazed by the whole thing so much
didnt pay attention to the wheel.. jeez

oh and yeah would love to see the rear as well

Ek9Max
01-09-2009, 06:50 AM
wow that is nuts. makes my shit obsolete! lol

Eleanor
01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Not a huge fan, ASM FTW!

redblack
01-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Does anybody know where i can buy those replacement elastic bands for the convertible top locally?

xviper
01-10-2009, 10:15 PM
You can buy them at any Honda dealer, but why pay that kind of money when you can buy online and have them delivered to your door and still be less than the dealer?

http://modifry.com/products/index.htm

I've bought stuff from Modifry in the past. He's not a scammer and the stuff will come as soon as it clears Canada Customs. For something this small, customs will likely not even take too long.

beung
01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I need to get into a white AP2, some one hook me up!!!!!

Ek9Max
01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Ur_8hs2i8

here's that new J's kit.

EK 2.0
01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
That's a beast of a kit...I love it...

redblack
01-12-2009, 07:07 PM
well, i went out and changed my brake fluid today and to my surprise i found 4 spring spacers still left on my car. i guess no one took them off when the car was sold in 2000. Do you guys think the ride will soften now that these have been removed?

LUDELVR
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow, does anyone else think our horns are just...well...unmanly!? Honestly, I was on the highway and there were some random birds on the road so I started beeping at them and mate, was I ever unimpressed by the sound that came out! I don't remember my lude being this feminine, but are all the s2k's like this?

xviper
01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow, does anyone else think our horns are just...well...unmanly!? Honestly, I was on the highway and there were some random birds on the road so I started beeping at them and mate, was I ever unimpressed by the sound that came out! I don't remember my lude being this feminine, but are all the s2k's like this?
Yes, they're all like that. Many owners install dual Fiamm hiway blasters. When you honk on that, the guy ahead of you starts looking for the grill of a '52 Olds.

LUDELVR
01-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Yes, they're all like that. Many owners install dual Fiamm hiway blasters. When you honk on that, the guy ahead of you starts looking for the grill of a '52 Olds.

Hmmm...I think I just found my next mod! Thanks mate! ;)

Oi, did you have to install a fuel pump for your SC kit? How was it? I'm checking on s2ki and the diy is pretty good, but he makes it look a tick just too easy! I had an inline on my lude and that was peanuts. Just wondering how yours went if you did one. :dunno:

Ek9Max
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM

Hmmm...I think I just found my next mod! Thanks mate! ;)

Oi, did you have to install a fuel pump for your SC kit? How was it? I'm checking on s2ki and the diy is pretty good, but he makes it look a tick just too easy! I had an inline on my lude and that was peanuts. Just wondering how yours went if you did one. :dunno:

Just did mine. Wasn't hard.....

LUDELVR
01-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Ek9Max

Just did mine. Wasn't hard.....

How long did it take you? Did you put the top half way up, undo everything from inside the car and then remove from the boot? How was the smell after? I've heard a lot of people complaining about the smell and finally, how was the sock and fuel level float re-installation?

Skyline_Addict
01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
How long can you not drive the car/leave it off until the battery dies? Tried starting it today, and couldn't get anything going/on. This just require a simple boost?

Impreza
01-24-2009, 03:58 PM
^Why didn't you just disconnect the battery? Easy.

Skyline_Addict
01-24-2009, 04:05 PM
^^^ i know, that was my mistake. i was planning on starting the car every once in a while but obviously that wasn't the right thing to do. it's just a matter of getting it boosted up then, right?

Impreza
01-24-2009, 04:43 PM
^A boost will hopefully fix it, but if the batteries dead, then it is DEAD. Next time, if you want to leave the battery connected to your car, invest in a trickle charger or something. Also, starting the car and letting it run once a week isn't the best idea either. Hope that helps.

xviper
01-24-2009, 05:05 PM
"Smart" charger = best plan.
Taking battery out and leaving it out of the cold = second best idea.

If it didn't start today, just leave it alone. Boosting it and getting it started and then NOT using it regularly is pointless. You need to drive it for a while to get it back up to a good charge. Put a smart charger on it now (if it isn't frozen) and it may be ready to go by the time you take it out of storage. If it's frozen, the battery may be done.

Skyline_Addict
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
thanks for the advice guys. i actually have someone coming over to boost it. i will be putting on a smart charger right away. true, that boosting it and not necessarily driving it regularly is pointless but atleast i'll know if the battery needs to be replaced or not.

pretty noob mistake by me, and i should've d/c'ed the battery.

attaching the smart charger on the battery should allow me to leave the battery connected to the car, but should i still disconnect the battery when i put the smart charger on to be safe??

xviper
01-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
attaching the smart charger on the battery should allow me to leave the battery connected to the car, but should i still disconnect the battery when i put the smart charger on to be safe??
Here's the thing. Modern day cars all have ECUs. ECUs don't mind having adequate power or no power. They don't like "nearly" no power and can have a serious brain fart.
You can put on a smart charger like a "Battery Tender" or "Intellicharger" with or without the battery terminals connected. However, if the batter is in bad shape, a smart charger won't have sufficient punch to combat the near zero charge and supply the ECU with adequate power. This would be bad to have the terminals on. Take a voltage test before going to the next step. If it's less than about 10V, it may not come back. Above 10V and the chances are good that it's recoverable.
If I were you, I wouldn't boost it right now. Getting it started now may not prove anything. Wait till you're really ready to drive it before attending to the battery. What's done is done. Take care of it in the spring. I'd just disconnect the negative terminal and forget about it for now. Deal with it later. If you deal with it now, you may still have to deal with it later. Double the effort.

Skyline_Addict
01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
thanks! man, you know everything when it comes to s2000s (or cars).

that sounds like a good plan and your logic is well...logical. i'm with AMA so I get free battery boosts and obviously it doesn't concern me much at this point, but I still might have to do it again come spring.

guy should be here any moment now and it would be too late to call to cancel, so I'll have a chat with him to see what he says.

xviper
01-24-2009, 06:08 PM

guy should be here any moment now and it would be too late to call to cancel, so I'll have a chat with him to see what he says.
Well, once it's started, just let it run in neutral up to operating temp (about 10 minutes after "3 bars" on the temp gauge) before shutting it down. That way, you might put a bit of charge into the battery and also take out much of the condensation from the exhaust system.

4doorj
01-25-2009, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
^Why didn't you just disconnect the battery? Easy.
:werd:
I pull my battery out, and just put it back when the car is ready to come out.
I never start the car while its hibernating.

Eleanor
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/26/officially-official-honda-s2000-to-be-terminated-at-the-end-of/

:(

Skyline_Addict
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

:werd:
I pull my battery out, and just put it back when the car is ready to come out.
I never start the car while its hibernating.

yep. a couple days ago is when i would've first started it. i have d/c'ed the battery after it getting it re-boosted (back to 15V) and it will be sleeping till spring. getting a new battery regardless, is one of my priorities come spring.

Skyline_Addict
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/26/officially-official-honda-s2000-to-be-terminated-at-the-end-of/

bad news for s2000 enthusiasts for sure, but not the worst news for s2000 enthuasiasts who already own one :D.

Jlude
01-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

Never should have sold the CR.

Redlyne_mr2
01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Future classic for sure.

snow_daniel
01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

is not too late to buy another one :D

Jlude
01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Future classic for sure.

Agreed.

Originally posted by snow_daniel

is not too late to buy another one :D

I know, I know... I've been randomly looking around. But the CAD is so shitty right now.

dimi
01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Finally!

whiskas
01-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Saw a hilariously dirty black S2K yesterday around northland mall. :thumbsup: for driving it in winter

BigShow
01-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Got this from the 'no more s2k thread'...

Originally posted by ragu

Not profitable because 1) over priced 2) you can find one for 13G in states.....not a tough choice between civic and s2k

13g?? Thats pretty cheap. He's gotta be talking about an AP1 with high mileage? or some tainted history? accidents...or whatever right?

Thats gotta be a misleading statement. I mean if you really wanna search for the cheapest s2k out there thats been used and abused yea ok maybeeee...but wtf

gpomp
01-28-2009, 04:56 AM
you can get decent s2k's for $13k. the used and abused ones are around $10k.

LUDELVR
02-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Wow, what a mission, but it's finally done, not as perfectly as I wanted to, but let's be honest guys, this is me and nothing ever turns out the way I want!! :devil:

Anyways, I swear my car is faster now with these installed :rofl: but all I know is that I don't want to work with bondo EVER again! Absolutely slutted after working with this shit! I think the smell got to me! :rofl:

http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2012075ac9.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2012085rw6.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p2012084jv7.jpg

LUDELVR
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey lads,

anyone know where to get upgraded exhaust manifold studs? People on the s2ki forums are saying that arp makes em but I can't seem to find them.

Anywhere in Calgary that I can get some or are there other alternatives? :dunno:

Cheers.

xviper
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey lads,

anyone know where to get upgraded exhaust manifold studs? People on the s2ki forums are saying that arp makes em but I can't seem to find them.

Anywhere in Calgary that I can get some or are there other alternatives? :dunno:

Cheers.
Are you sure they aren't talking about head studs? The exhaust manifold isn't really putting much stress on their studs.

LUDELVR
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM

Are you sure they aren't talking about head studs? The exhaust manifold isn't really putting much stress on their studs.

No, I'm aware of the head studs, but I just read a thread about someone's exhaust manifold stud breaking because of the weight from the turbo and manifold. Granted, it is a lot heavier than the stock exhaust manifold and I never had an issue with my h22a, but some people on the s2ki forums now have me a tad concerned.

Upon lifting my manifold, turbo and downpipe, I can see how this would be a bit of an issue, but as I said, I've never had an experience with the studs breaking. :dunno:

xviper
02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I see. I neglected to take into account you've got a turbo hanging off that thing. I have heard of manifold studs breaking but that was with somebody who over torqued the nut when they put on an aftermarket header.

Jeremiah
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Im looking for an AP2 in May, Wanting to spend $20k or less, is that reasonable based on this market. or should i budget for an AP1?

Skyline_Addict
02-05-2009, 02:15 PM
^^ not going to happen. you'll be looking at a 2001-2002 at that price...maybe a 2003.

LUDELVR
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I see. I neglected to take into account you've got a turbo hanging off that thing. I have heard of manifold studs breaking but that was with somebody who over torqued the nut when they put on an aftermarket header.

So do you reckon that the stock manifold studs would be sufficient if they are not over-torqued?

whiskas
02-05-2009, 02:52 PM

So do you reckon that the stock manifold studs would be sufficient if they are not over-torqued?

As long as you torque them properly, and in the proper crisscross order you should be OK. I've noticed honda has used aluminum bolts in some strange places in this car :) but in the event they used steel and they're a bit rusted, it wouldn't hurt to get some new bolts.

dimi
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM

I've heard that using SRT-4 studs works like a charm, but do a search first.

Jeremiah
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
^^ not going to happen. you'll be looking at a 2001-2002 at that price...maybe a 2003.

LOL

K. quoted for when I prove you wrong.

4doorj
02-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

LOL

There is always a chance on finding a amazing deal.
But I agree with skyline_addict finding a AP2 for under $20k sounds really hard to do.
Jumping from a AP1 to a AP2 there is a huge price gap it seems.

This is just from my observation, but it is possible to find a 2003 for about $20k with some searching. But AP2's seems to be $25k+.

Again I'm sure there is some people who are desperate to sell so there is always a chance of getting a good deal.

Jeremiah
02-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

There is always a chance on finding a amazing deal.
But I agree with skyline_addict finding a AP2 for under $20k sounds really hard to do.
Jumping from a AP1 to a AP2 there is a huge price gap it seems.

This is just from my observation, but it is possible to find a 2003 for about $20k with some searching. But AP2's seems to be $25k+.

Again I'm sure there is some people who are desperate to sell so there is always a chance of getting a good deal.

Hey thanks for the info, and i definitely hope i find an amazing deal lol.

Didn't realize the price for these cars is still steady in our crumbling economy.

I found quite a few in the states for $13-$16k with 50-80k miles. Not bad, not bad, but with dollar being so weak + duties + gst you have to add an additional 41% or so.

I may just stick with an AP1, but i do prefer the subtle changes in the AP2.

Can't wait to drive up the coast with the top down.

I guess only time will tell what is available in May!..

Been lurking in this thread for about 2 years, finally deciding to get one this summer :)

BigShow
02-06-2009, 10:25 AM

Soooo much fun in this car!! Just dont forget to put on the suntan lotion and wear a hat.

Jlude
02-06-2009, 10:47 AM

It's amazing.

rc2002
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

wear a hat.

Solid advice. Unless you're a midget, you're really going to notice the wind on your head. At speed, and with the right wind conditions it can get pretty painful.

zain123
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
pshh no hair ftw ! aha
wait that beats the purpose of a convertible...

whiskas
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
How many of you have lost a hat to the wind driving with the top down?

Jlude
02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

I haven't, but the gf lost one I think.

4doorj
02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

Soooo much fun in this car!! Just dont forget to put on the suntan lotion and wear a hat.
Yup! I learned the hard way. On the way to Vancouver I had sunburn and it sucked!

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Solid advice. Unless you're a midget, you're really going to notice the wind on your head. At speed, and with the right wind conditions it can get pretty painful.
I rarely wear a hat when I drive top down, but yes you do notice the wind. My hair is always fuzzy after driving top down for a while.

Not me!

LUDELVR
02-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Anyone have a fuel pressure gauge mounted to his stock fuel rail? :dunno: If not, will I have to drill and tap or does that plug at the end unscrew out?

xviper
02-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyone have a fuel pressure gauge mounted to his stock fuel rail? :dunno: If not, will I have to drill and tap or does that plug at the end unscrew out?
That plug on the end of the fuel rail is a similar in principle to an engine's frost plug. It's likely a pressure fit. I don't think it's threaded, so you may have to tap a thread to install the gauge. I've seen people install fuel pressure gauges there.

whiskas
02-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Time to play name that part, found these in the interior of the car, what are they, and where should they be?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6864/img1207lb1.jpg

xviper
02-10-2009, 12:37 AM
The black things are interior trim fasteners. You will find some in the trunk liner. This may be the only thing that's used on an S2000.
The chrome hook thing is a pegboard hook. It doesn't belong in an S2000.
The grey, opague thing is a wire or cable tie and is used to secure a run of wires or cables. I don't know if the S2000 uses these.
The white ring is a teflon O-ring. I don't think the S2000 uses these either. It's used more on motorcycle fasteners.

whiskas
02-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Ahhh OK, the soft top was just replaced so it might be from that.

Ek9Max
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM

I have my gt35r on, and i thoguht about the same thing.....

I then found out that lots of guys have problems with them loosening off.......

Ek9Max
02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey lads,

Cheers.

Apparently they are teh same as some SRT-4 ones.... I dunno if they are the headstuds or EX manifold ones....

LUDELVR
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Ek9Max

Apparently they are teh same as some SRT-4 ones.... I dunno if they are the headstuds or EX manifold ones....

Yeah, I was reading that, but am unsure if it's "necessary" to have them. Have you changed them out? :dunno:

Skyline_Addict
02-10-2009, 10:28 PM

LOL

LOL

K. So why did you ask a question you seem to have your answer to?

All the power to you if are so confident that you can find one for under $20k. It's just really unlikely to happen. I recently shopped for S2000s, and was looking for an AP2 as well, so the answer to your question was based on recent experiences.

You forgot to factor in the fact that Honda has axed production on the S2000 indefinetely, and any predecessor. My perception is that most will be wanting to hang on to their relatively much more rare cars than before.

Recession? Tough times? Shit, the last thing an S2000 owner would do is sell his car for peanuts. :D

whiskas
02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I had a Honda dealership replace the soft top (not the entire assembly, just the vinyl top itself). I get the car back and notice there is a significant amount of slack on the rear passenger side by the window. I bring it back to the dealer but they explain to me that it's "normal" and that they just order the parts from Honda and install them.

I'm wondering if this problem is because of a defective part or an error made during the install process?

Here are photos of what I'm talking about.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1875/img1206ks8.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7310/img1204wj3.jpg

dimi
02-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Definitely not normal. My top is tight all around.

Jeremiah
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM

LOL

All the power to you if are so confident that you can find one for under $20k. It's just really unlikely to happen. I recently shopped for S2000s, and was looking for an AP2 as well, so the answer to your question was based on recent experiences.

You forgot to factor in the fact that Honda has axed production on the S2000 indefinetely, and any predecessor. My perception is that most will be wanting to hang on to their relatively much more rare cars than before.

Recession? Tough times? Shit, the last thing an S2000 owner would do is sell his car for peanuts. :D

Honda cancelling production of the s2000 in 2010 will not be a factor in used sales, thats all fanboy shit. Cars are always discontinued, did the market go up for integras? NO, and they were in production for longer. They aren't selling 2004 S2000s anymore. Any of the S2000s that were bought in 04 are still around and with the rate in which Americas economic stability declines it gives less selling power to people who are trying to get rid of their product. With the US in terrible economic condition, the last thing people need are impractical cars. Less demand = Low Price.

BigShow
02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Honda cancelling production of the s2000 in 2010 will not be a factor in used sales, thats all fanboy shit. bla bla bla

I'm sure you could find a nice RSX to cruise down the coast with.

4doorj
02-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Honda cancelling production of the s2000 in 2010 will not be a factor in used sales, thats all fanboy shit.
I agree with this. This may be true if there weren't alot of s2000's. But there are a ton of s2000's which is why I beleive they will not keep their value up.
If S2000's from the USA didn't come up the Canadian s2000 value would be alot higher just because there weren't many sold in Canada. This is just my opinion though.

xviper
02-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm wondering if this problem is because of a defective part or an error made during the install process?
That is not normal. It would appear as though they did a real shitty job of installation. The edge that's wrinkled is a double layer of material that's riveted to the roof well lip. Those two layers comprise of the main soft top portion and the rear window portion. It's easy to mis-align the window with the top and to mis-align that with the lip when riveting. If the two portions are offset a little bit and the double assembly is offset from the holes of the lip when riveting, you can get the wrinkles. Also, if the guy doing the job got a little frustrated and yanked on the material, it can stretch and you end up with a wrinkle. Sounds to me that the tech didn't follow the written procedure step by step and didn't use common sense at the critical times. The only cure would be to backtrack and pull the material together better and pull it towards the door opening and re-rivet.

whiskas
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info xviper, I talked to them again and they're ordering in a new top and will redo the install.

xviper
02-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info xviper, I talked to them again and they're ordering in a new top and will redo the install.
Much better than to make bigger holes or punch new ones.

max_boost
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM

LOL

lol

You underestimate the power of this recession. The first thing to go are the toys.

Skyline_Addict
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Honda cancelling production of the s2000 in 2010 will not be a factor in used sales, thats all fanboy shit. Cars are always discontinued, did the market go up for integras? NO, and they were in production for longer. They aren't selling 2004 S2000s anymore. Any of the S2000s that were bought in 04 are still around and with the rate in which Americas economic stability declines it gives less selling power to people who are trying to get rid of their product. With the US in terrible economic condition, the last thing people need are impractical cars. Less demand = Low Price.

Fair enough, but I think that it can go both ways. Otherwise we'd be seeing every s2000 on the market going for way less than they did before the financial meltdown and seeing every s2000 up for sale because it's "the last thing people need" (in the US especially). I haven't gone around checking the market as recently today, but if this was the case, you probably wouldn't have asked your initial question in the first place and would have already purchased your sub 20k s2000.
I genuinely wish you luck finding an AP2 for under 20k as they are awesome awesome cars and would be glad to see you prove me wrong. I'm pretty damn sure you'll have to go down to the US to find one for that price, and the shitty exchange rate isn't going to help much. But, if you're willing to go as far as scourge the entire U.S for a great deal, I'm sure you'd find something.

Originally posted by max_boost

lol

You underestimate the power of this recession. The first thing to go are the toys.

My last sentence was just made in good fun, to reiterate how much we all (in this thread) love our s2000s ;). Wasn't made to be taken literally, as I am well aware of the power of the recession.

whiskas
02-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Much better than to make bigger holes or punch new ones.

Is there a chance of water damage happening if they don't plug up the old holes? I'm not familiar with how rain water drains from behind there.

Also how easy is it to expose the area where the rivets were installed to see what they did back there? I have access to the FSM for this car but I have to admit, that despite these cars being put together better and more intelligently (for the most part) than the Mopars and GM's I have experience with, the documentation provided in the FSM isn't nearly as thorough and concise.

xviper
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Is there a chance of water damage happening if they don't plug up the old holes? I'm not familiar with how rain water drains from behind there.

Also how easy is it to expose the area where the rivets were installed to see what they did back there? I have access to the FSM for this car but I have to admit, that despite these cars being put together better and more intelligently (for the most part) than the Mopars and GM's I have experience with, the documentation provided in the FSM isn't nearly as thorough and concise.
Yes, there is a chance. Any water that doesn't find its way via the drain channel will likely end up in the trunk or behind the vented panel behind the seat. I don't recommend you dismantle anything to take a look. It's a complicated multi-layered structure. You might be able to look from inside the trunk by shining a powerful light from the outside to see if any light gets into the trunk. If light can come in, so can water.

Redlyne_mr2
02-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I've seen some AP2s for as low as 14K on ebay, if you want something clean and original then theyre about 16-17K. Factor in the junk exchange rate and all associate taxes and it's going to end up costing over 20K. You basically have to pay about 11-12K usd for it to show here landed for under 20K.

Jeremiah
02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I've seen some AP2s for as low as 14K on ebay, if you want something clean and original then theyre about 16-17K. Factor in the junk exchange rate and all associate taxes and it's going to end up costing over 20K. You basically have to pay about 11-12K usd for it to show here landed for under 20K.

Well If you bought for $15,000 lets say for arguements sake thats $18,750 Canadian. Add 11.1% for Duties + GST and you're at $20,843.

Obviously there are other miscellaneous costs involved but you get the point. We'll see what happens, hopefully the dollar is stronger in Summer :D

zain123
02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
theres some hidden costs
if you would like to import one from states, pm me
i can give u exact details about the import process

Jeremiah
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
theres some hidden costs

Thanks for the help, i have imported a couple cars myself, i got it covered.

95EagleAWD
02-12-2009, 01:15 AM
theres some hidden costs

"Hidden costs?"

You mean, besides GST, duty and all the fees the tell you about?

88CRX
02-12-2009, 02:12 AM
If your getting an AP2 landed for $20k it's either been in an accident (possibly rebuilt), high miles or it's ghetto-modded.

Or atleast from my research that's what I've found :dunno:

Do it.... then maybe it would modivate me to get off my ass and find one for myself :rofl: