What a waste of a thread

in*10*se
03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Chuck Norris?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Crymson
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
riddle threads are neat, but anything decent is almost instantly solved via google, so it's kind of pointless.

How about mensa problems? or something like that, requiring cognition rather than a 1 word answer. May make for a more honest thread.

duffspec
03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Sorrik
nothing ......:devil:

Attention whore!!!! :D

The Cosworth
03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
An electric train is traveling from Calgary to Vancouver at 60 miles an hour, leaving at 10am, while the wind is traveling at 55km s-sw. At the same time an identical model of train leaves Vancouver heading to Seattle while the wind is traveling at 40km east. This train is moving at 90 km/h.

Assuming perfect path travel, no deviation in speed of either the train or of the wind, and that the wind is constant.

Question 1.) are the smoke from the trains traveling in the same direction?

Question 2.) If not, which way is each one traveling and at what speed relative to the ground?

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
riddle threads are neat, but anything decent is almost instantly solved via google, so it's kind of pointless.

How about mensa problems? or something like that, requiring cognition rather than a 1 word answer. May make for a more honest thread.

Fair enough...

Three prisoners are about to be excecuted by the king... but at the last minute the king has a change of heart and decides to spare the smartest of the three. To find the smartest prisoner he gives them the following test:

Each prisoner is put in separate room and a hat is placed on his head. The prisoners do not EVER see the hat on their own head.

Next they are all brought out to a courtyard where they can see the other two prisoners and the hat they have put on... Here's what they're told:

"There are a total of 3 black hats and 2 white hats. The first one to guess the color of hat he's wearing is free to go. If you guess wrong, you will be excecuted."

All three prisoners had black hats on. After a short while, one prisoner (presumably the smartest one) blurts out "My hat's black!" He is freed, and the other two prisoners are excecuted.

How did he know?

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
An electric train is traveling from Calgary to Vancouver at 60 miles an hour, leaving at 10am, while the wind is traveling at 55km s-sw. At the same time an identical model of train leaves Vancouver heading to Seattle while the wind is traveling at 40km east. This train is moving at 90 km/h.

Assuming perfect path travel, no deviation in speed of either the train or of the wind, and that the wind is constant.

Question 1.) are the smoke from the trains traveling in the same direction?

Question 2.) If not, which way is each one traveling and at what speed relative to the ground?

Electric trains don't emit smoke ;)

The Cosworth
03-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Fair enough...

Three prisoners are about to be excecuted by the king... but at the last minute the king has a change of heart and decides to spare the smartest of the three. To find the smartest prisoner he gives them the following test:

Each prisoner is put in separate room and a hat is placed on his head. The prisoners do not EVER see the hat on their own head.

Next they are all brought out to a courtyard where they can see the other two prisoners and the hat they have put on... Here's what they're told:

"There are a total of 3 black hats and 2 white hats. The first one to guess the color of hat he's wearing is free to go. If you guess wrong, you will be excecuted."

All three prisoners had black hats on. After a short while, one prisoner (presumably the smartest one) blurts out "My hat's black!" He is freed, and the other two prisoners are excecuted.

How did he know?

After a while in the sun, a black hat would start to absorb enough heat that he should be able to feel it?

krisopotamus
03-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Fair enough...

How did he know?

He took the hat off and looked at it. It says they don't see the hat on their head but nothing about taking it off to look at it.

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

After a while in the sun, a black hat would start to absorb enough heat that he should be able to feel it?

I like it! But no... and it was never specifically stated that it was in the day. Could be at night in a lit courtyard...

Originally posted by krisopotamus

He took the hat off and looked at it. It says they don't see the hat on their head but nothing about taking it off to look at it.

Nope, hat stays on the head the whole time... prisoners neve see the hat he's wearing :angel:

Edit- Oh and the answer isn't something random... it's actually pretty slick ;)

DALLEN
03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Can god make somthing so heavy not even god can lift?

if god can god is not almighty!

if god can't god is also not almighty

its a thinker lol

-Dallen

krisopotamus
03-14-2007, 01:33 PM

I like it! But no... and it was never specifically stated that it was in the day. Could be at night in a lit courtyard...

Nope, hat stays on the head the whole time... prisoners neve see the hat he's wearing :angel:

Edit- Oh and the answer isn't something random... it's actually pretty slick ;)

You can't just change it after I get it right...
you specifically said

"The prisoners do not EVER see the hat on their own head"

:closed:

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 01:39 PM

You can't just change it after I get it right...
you specifically said

"The prisoners do not EVER see the hat on their own head"

:closed:

What I was meaning is that they never see the hat that they are wearing. If you want to be a little kid about it, sure... :closed: for you, YOU WIN!!!11!!

If anyoen else wants to take a stab please do! :angel:

Tik-Tok
03-14-2007, 01:47 PM

How did he know?

Because neither of the other 2 answered immediately. So unless they were suicidal, you have to figure all 3 had the same colour hat on.

wiph
03-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Fair enough...

How did he know?

It's a matter of time.

Since all the prisoners are trying to figure out which hat is on their own head. They have to deduce what they have from what they see.

If one prisoner saw a two white hats they could automatically deduce that they had the black hat. Therefore the only instances could occur to prevent an instant answer would be W-B-B and B-B-B.

In the WBB situation, the prisoners wearing B would see B-W and therefore can deduce that they have B or W, if they had W, the other person would be able to answer they had black. However, since both would hesitate trying to figure out what they had, it wouldn't be the obvious answer.

In the situation of BBB, all the prisoners would see B-B, therefore they are left to deduce that they have either B or W, if they were wearing white, the BBW result would happen again, therefore after enough time has passed, they can only guess B.

bulaian
03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
No clue

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Because neither of the other 2 answered immediately.

Pretty much... :thumbsup:

Here's the reasoning:

Prisoner A (you)
Prisoner B
Prisoner C

You see B and C wearing Black....

IF you were wearing a white hat then:

From B's point of view:

A (white)
C (black)

... prisoner B thinks: If I were wearing a white hat, then prisoner C would see two white hats (A = white, B = white) and immediately know that he has a black hat. He would yell that out right away.. therefore, if prisoner C doesn't yell it out right away, it's cause he sees doesn't see two white hats (Prisoner A = white, Prisoner B = black), therefore PrisonerB would know he's wearing a black hat and yell out Black.

Because PrisonerB doesn't yell out White or Black, then Prisoner A knows that he is not wearing a white hat.. he's wearing a black hat.

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by wiph

It's a matter of time.

Since all the prisoners are trying to figure out which hat is on their own head. They have to deduce what they have from what they see.

If one prisoner saw a two white hats they could automatically deduce that they had the black hat. Therefore the only instances could occur to prevent an instant answer would be W-B-B and B-B-B.

In the WBB situation, the prisoners wearing B would see B-W and therefore can deduce that they have B or W, if they had W, the other person would be able to answer they had black. However, since both would hesitate trying to figure out what they had, it wouldn't be the obvious answer.

In the situation of BBB, all the prisoners would see B-B, therefore they are left to deduce that they have either B or W, if they were wearing white, the BBW result would happen again, therefore after enough time has passed, they can only guess B.

Yup :thumbsup:

Nice ;)

Tik-Tok
03-14-2007, 01:59 PM
This is also on the assumption that at least one of the other two isn't a complete retard who couldn't figure out which hat he had on if the other two had white, or one black and one white.

Super_Geo
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh, and as previous established, the following is also a correct answer:

;)

Tik-Tok
03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Though I'm sure everyone heard this as a child (or will google it if they didn't)

Take away my first letter and I am unchanged;
Take away my second letter and I am unchanged;
Take away all my remaining letters and I am still unchanged!

What am I?

Crymson
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Good one supergeo!

Tik-Tok, your's is good too, but I had heard it before.

dj_rice
03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Though I'm sure everyone heard this as a child (or will google it if they didn't)

Take away my first letter and I am unchanged;
Take away my second letter and I am unchanged;
Take away all my remaining letters and I am still unchanged!

What am I?

A mailbox

There are three houses built exactly the same. One is filled with cotton, the other with wood, and
the third with iron. One day an arsonist sets them all on fire. Sirens were loudly coming to the scene.
People were screaming. At which house did the ambulance try to put out the fire first?

Zephyr
03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
What is broken every time it's spoken?

charizard
03-14-2007, 07:05 PM
^silence?

ooo ooo my turn.......riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of the big black bat?

Crymson
03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
firetruck, you mean?

md14
03-14-2007, 07:31 PM
There are three houses built exactly the same. One is filled with cotton, the other with wood, and the third with iron. One day an arsonist sets them all on fire. Sirens were loudly coming to the scene.
People were screaming. At which house did the ambulance try to put out the fire first?

The House he set fire to first..? :D

charizard
03-14-2007, 07:35 PM
firetruck, you mean?

no...I ment big black bat :confused:

99SL2_Modder
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
firetruck, you mean?

Someone lost the point of the joke.

Ambulences don't put out fires.

A plane crashes on the border of US and canada. Where are the survivors buried?

RaptorGJC
03-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Duh, survivors don't get buried.

There are two very popular and common objects which have the same function, but one has thousands of moving parts, while the other has absolutely no moving parts

What are they?

seer_claw
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by RaptorGJC
Duh, survivors don't get buried.

There are two very popular and common objects which have the same function, but one has thousands of moving parts, while the other has absolutely no moving parts

What are they? Wrist watches. An analogue one has a bunch of gears and such. A digital (Timex) has a quartz crystal that gives out constant pulses when an electric charge is applied to it. Time is measured using the pulses as they can be measured to be emitted at a constant amount per minute. :thumbsup:

toomuchb00st
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
i dont even get what the orginal post is all about..lol nothing?:confused:

Schwa
03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Let me slow things down for ya.

(Nothing) is greater than God,
(Nothing is )More evil than the devil,
The poor have (Nothing),
The rich need (Nothing),
And if you eat (Nothing), you'll die?

Nothing is the solution to all five all those lines! Tada!

HyperZell
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by charizard
^silence?

ooo ooo my turn.......riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of the big black bat?

Jim Carrey.

Here's a classic:

You are lost in a maze and have been wandering around for quite a bit when you come across two doors. One is the exit, and the other leads to certain death. There are two brothers there, one standing in front of each door. One always lies and the other always tells the truth. You can ask only one question - what would you ask in order to ensure that you get out safely?

RaptorGJC
03-15-2007, 02:19 AM
You have to ask what the other brother will say.

If you ask the liar, the liar will lie what the truth brother will say, and since he tells the truth, the liar will point you to the dead way.

Ask the truthful brother and he knows his brother will be lying so he will also point you to the dead way.

Then go through the opposite door they show you.

99SL2_Modder
03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by RaptorGJC
You have to ask what the other brother will say.

If you ask the liar, the liar will lie what the truth brother will say, and since he tells the truth, the liar will point you to the dead way.

Ask the truthful brother and he knows his brother will be lying so he will also point you to the dead way.

Then go through the opposite door they show you.

Daaaamn. This is some good stuff right here. I'm gonna write these down.

A lot of people I know can't get this one correct, but it's such an old riddle.

What starts out walking on four legs, then on two, and then on three, but throughout it's entire lifetime, has only one voice?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 99SL2_Modder

What starts out walking on four legs, then on two, and then on three, but throughout it's entire lifetime, has only one voice?

Man. He starts out crawling, then walks upright, then walks with the aid of a cane.

99SL2_Modder
03-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Man. He starts out crawling, then walks upright, then walks with the aid of a cane.

Very nice.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2007, 11:35 AM
What can be seen, but cannot be touched, and when put in your car, the car becomes lighter?

BananaFob
03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
What can be seen, but cannot be touched, and when put in your car, the car becomes lighter?

A hole.

The man who invented it, doesn't want it for himself.
The man who bought it, doesn't need it for himself.
The man who needs it, doesn't know it when he needs it.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

A hole.

The man who invented it, doesn't want it for himself.
The man who bought it, doesn't need it for himself.
The man who needs it, doesn't know it when he needs it.

Hmm, tough one. Medicine or Vaccine, perhaps?

BananaFob
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Hmm, tough one. Medicine or Vaccine, perhaps?

Nope.

pdm111
03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
coffin!!

BananaFob
03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by pdm111
coffin!!

Yep.

I am free for the taking through all of your life, though given but once at birth. I am less than nothing in weight, but will fell the strongest of you if held.

pdm111
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
breath/air?

pdm111
03-16-2007, 08:15 AM
got this off family guy last night:

what gets wetter the more it dries?

Crymson
03-16-2007, 08:29 AM
LOL!

A TOWEL!

that's a funny episode, is that the one where they go to iraq and "democracy kicks in" ?

Skyline_Addict
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Yep.

I am free for the taking through all of your life, though given but once at birth. I am less than nothing in weight, but will fell the strongest of you if held.

Life?

BananaFob
03-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Life?

Nope, breath was correct.

dj_rice
03-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Whoever makes it, tells it not.
Whoever takes it, knows it not.
And whoever knows it, wants it not.
Can you tell me what I speak of?

99SL2_Modder
03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Whoever makes it, tells it not.
Whoever takes it, knows it not.
And whoever knows it, wants it not.
Can you tell me what I speak of?

Counterfeit money?

project240
03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

You are lost in a maze and have been wandering around for quite a bit when you come across two doors. One is the exit, and the other leads to certain death. There are two brothers there, one standing in front of each door. One always lies and the other always tells the truth. You can ask only one question - what would you ask in order to ensure that you get out safely?

Labrynth...

HyperZell
03-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by project240

Labrynth...

What? Semantics.