PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new car, need suggestions

kawana
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi, im looking to buy a new car and im not sure whats out there, so lets hear some suggestions. My requirements are:

max $14,000 Canadian

good MPG (like 20-25+)

fast and fun to drive stock, will upgrade as time goes on but i dont wanna dump a crapload of cash into it to get it upto the speed i want.

4,6, or 8cyl, dont care

car/truck

Not a honda :P

Would prefer a Domestic, but im open to other opinions.

Ive looked in to the subaru wrx which is my favorite but the insurance would bankrupt me. Thinking bout the camaro/firebird, but the MPG is less than i want (but they look like FUN! ) so ya, have at it. Thanks

Also im not great with cars, if i got say the 99 Camaro ss (dream car :D) the MPG isn't terrible, but its not great either, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/14851.shtml, anyone know what could be done to improve those MPG numbers, short of "driving slow", i mean mods that would help get more MPG? Thanks in advance.

Tik-Tok
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Late model AWD Turbo DSM, with enough money left over to fix the transmission?

Takemetoothemoo
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Subaru Impreza RS or TS ! There area few nice ones around forsale :)

kawana
03-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Late model AWD Turbo DSM, with enough money left over to fix the transmission?

sorry im bad with cars lol, what do you mean? Can you link to an example?

Tik-Tok
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by kawana

sorry im bad with cars lol, what do you mean? Can you link to an example?

'97/98 Eagle Talon, or Mitsubishi Eclipse (same car)

210 HP, 214 Ft-lbs of torque, all wheel drive, and only 3200 lbs.

And EXTREMELY moddable, if you want.

hjr
search for eagle talon (aka'd as DSM) domestic, fast, unreliable. seems to be what you want.

the cavalier is (and i hesitate to say this) peppy. its domestic, its cheap as shit, and its dec on gas. if for whatever reason you think that domestics are the way to go, then this or a neon is for you.

kawana
Originally posted by Takemetoothemoo
Subaru Impreza RS or TS ! There area few nice ones around forsale :)

They better than the wrx asfar as insurance rates go? I can only find 1 TS in my area and its an auto :( Maybe when there'll be more when im ready to buy in a month

kawana
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by hjr
search for eagle talon (aka'd as DSM) domestic, fast, unreliable. seems to be what you want.

the cavalier is (and i hesitate to say this) peppy. its domestic, its cheap as shit, and its dec on gas. if for whatever reason you think that domestics are the way to go, then this or a neon is for you.

I unfortunatly have a cavalier at the moment, its "fun" to drive but its also quite um... lame? is that a good term to use? Im not heartset on domestics, please feel free to suggest some imports too. Whats wrong with the Eagle talon, im not familiar with them, why are they unreliable?

Takemetoothemoo
03-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by kawana

They better than the wrx asfar as insurance rates go? I can only find 1 TS in my area and its an auto :( Maybe when there'll be more when im ready to buy in a month

Yes they will be cheaper on insuarnce, They have 165HP and AWD where a WRX has 210HP.

TS is a wagon
RS is the sedan

you can learn more about imprezas on Nasioc.com
check out the Vancouver region

tentacles
03-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Also im not great with cars,

Owning a DSM for a year will cure that. :thumbsup:

(So I'm told, anyway, I've never owned a DSM)

kawana
03-14-2007, 04:52 PM
edit: nvm looked them up and see all the problems they have, Ok moving on. What other options are there out there?

alloroc
03-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Although reasonably difficult to get, any of the Dodges (Daytona, Omni) with the 2.2L turbo have real potential and might be what you are after. They cost less than what you are looking to spend on the outset but with that extra cash you could do some real nice mods.

kawana
03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Although reasonably difficult to get, any of the Dodges (Daytona, Omni) with the 2.2L turbo have real potential and might be what you are after. They cost less than what you are looking to spend on the outset but with that extra cash you could do some real nice mods.

What year(s) are you refering too, got a link to an example?

kawana
03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
ah just looked up an omni lol there tiny but i likey. I was looking in 95+ (thinking maybe you were talking bout a newer car) but one of those might be fun if i can find it :P Real sleeper :D

alloroc
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
All of them .. Daytona shelby, Dodge Omni from about 95+

If you really wanna go you can try and mod up a 2.4 block (ala SRT-4) and slip that in. When it comes to the doges my knowledge ends here so you'll have to do your own research.

Another alternative is to go the route I did ... Corolla with a 4aGze Swap or even a cressida with a 7mgte swap but they are as you say ... lame ... until you do the mods.

kawana
03-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Well ill keep all those in mind along with others suggested but id still like more suggestions lol havn't seen anything that just screams BUY ME lol, i like the omni but im not 100% sure i like the looks, its not terrible though, i could work with it. Would be fun as a sleeper, the insurance would be minimal, seen parts on ebay for $25 for a turbo lol, so looks like it would be fairly cheap to work on. Id like some other ideas though if yall dont mind lol. Given the same requirements im giving, if you were me what would you buy?

$15,000ish
good mpg
fun/fast
Insurance rates wont go through the roof (wrx :S )