PDA

View Full Version : Another New Car Thread...

dieselpower91
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I know this is Beyond and I will get 99% replies telling to how domestics suck etc.

I am looking for real opinions on what to test drive. I am looking for the $35-45,000 range and a sports sedan.

I have so far done lots of research on the Cadillac CTS and have driven one. Very good car for the money. I would be getting the Performance/Appearance package as the plain ones don't appeal to me.

Anyways, I am looking for something in the same price range and same category.

So far I am thinking G35, BMW 3, not sure what else.. Must have 240+hp. I will not drive a weak car. Prefer RWD over FWD for sure.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

EDIT: Just too add.. CTS Perf/Appearance Pkg. 3.6L specs:
18" polished wheels, HIDs, Mesh Grille, Lip Spoiler, 3.6L VVT DOHC V6 255hp/252tq (over 200tq from 2,000-redline too) 6 spd manual (or 5spd auto), lower ride height, better susp. etc etc..

jf97talon
03-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
I know this is Beyond and I will get 99% replies telling to how domestics suck etc.

I am looking for real opinions on what to test drive. I am looking for the $35-45,000 range and a sports sedan.

I have so far done lots of research on the Cadillac CTS and have driven one. Very good car for the money. I would be getting the Performance/Appearance package as the plain ones don't appeal to me.

Anyways, I am looking for something in the same price range and same category.

So far I am thinking G35, BMW 3, not sure what else.. Must have 240+hp. I will not drive a weak car. Prefer RWD over FWD for sure.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

$35,000-$45,000 won't get you into a New BMW 3

Well its a great choice going with the G35, drove one in the states.... it was AMAZING

dieselpower91
03-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by jf97talon

$35,000-$45,000 won't get you into a New BMW 3

Well its a great choice going with the G35, drove one in the states.... it was AMAZING

http://bmw.ca/com/en/index_highend.html

click on "3", then "build your own" under sedan... under $45,000 but not enough power. Base Model 2.8L and 3.6L beats the BMW in power in both models.

aznlee
03-14-2007, 10:48 PM
what about a lexus is250?

HRD2PLZ
03-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a colleague who just got a CTS w/Appearance package. This is her second one, she originally had a 2004 CTS. She is an older lady, but says she just absolutely loves these cars.

A friend of a friend works for GSL and was complaining about the engines in the CTS, I don't remember which engine though. He is a mechanic and all I remember him telling me was that he wouldn't touch a CTS :dunno:

I am currently considering a G35x for myself. Although, not sure how under $45,000 you can get those cars. Mine would be just over $50,000 optioned out. I loved it though! I didn't really look at the CTS because I feel like I need an AWD car for myself.

HRD2PLZ
03-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by aznlee
what about a lexus is250?

OP is looking for something with a minimum 240hp.

dieselpower91
03-14-2007, 11:11 PM
if its like 230 or something I would consider it just looking for something with decent power since my last car was my modded GTP which is 240hp stock.

funkedelic
03-15-2007, 01:54 AM
test drive a 07 charger r/t price around 30-45 depnding new or used. when you go for the test drive go on the highway and floor it!:burnout:

edit: oh and 350hp&tq

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Cadillacs depreciate a ton within 2-3 years, some of them as much as 50%, does that bother you? If it does, I'd suggest looking for a used one so that someone else takes that hit (although i suppose the CTS won't have the updated motor). Also a 5spd auto is pretty weak in the caddy, everyone is doing 6-8 spd now. Go for the 6spd manual for sure if you choose the CTS.

Are used cars an option for you? Some AMAZING cars available to you in the $45,000 range such as E39 M5's and E36 M3's as well as 2004ish Audi S4's, all of which will blow the doors off of the Caddy in every category, especially build. Also you can get some really nice used Lexus GS400's/430 and BMW 540's for $45,000 or less which are again, way more car than the caddy. If you are open to these cars, I guarantee you will never look at a CTS (or probably any caddy) again after a few test drives.

A loaded G35 is probably the best you will do for $45,000 if you want new. An Acura TL is nice too but their FWD unfortunately. A one year old SRT-8 product from crysler is also an option. If your buying new, I would strongly suggest not buying american unless you plan on keeping it for a VERY long time or you will be pissing away so much money.

Hope that helps a bit.

Klobi-1-Kinobi
03-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Compare the cts to vw's gli jetta. The vw has a nicer interior, as good if not better performance than the cts, and probably far better resale. The only downside (aside from being fwd) I can think of is your neighbors might be more impressed that you have the cadillac parked in your driveway.

CTSV
03-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Diesel
I bought a used 2004 CTS 3.6 litre Lux/sport about a year and a half ago. Paid $29K here in Calgary. It is a great car cruises at 160k if you want. (road to Vegas). I liked it so much I bought a 2006 CTS-V 400HP 6sd. I noted someone talking about depreciation on domestics, Wednesday's? Herald had a Audi A8 for $50K. They were advertising it as why buy new when you can save 50%. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go dig it out for exact prices. Losing money on a car doesn't hurt so much when you actually enjoy driving it. If you want info on Caddys check cadillacforums.com

Rav4Guy
03-16-2007, 10:13 PM
If you have G35 in there.....

Altima Coupe?

acura_el
03-16-2007, 10:22 PM
if you're thinking about the cts, check out the cts-v while you're at it. a friend of mine has one and... ohhh god:drool:

corvette motor, 400hp - that's right! you're into porsche/ferrari territory, combination of suede and leather seats, navi, and an exhaust note that'll probably require you to change pants everytime you hear it :drool: :drool:

:hitit: x100000

you could probably get a used one for around $45,000. where else are u gonna get 400hp for $45g's?:thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by acura_el
if you're thinking about the cts, check out the cts-v while you're at it. a friend of mine has one and... ohhh god:drool:

corvette motor, 400hp - that's right! you're into porsche/ferrari territory, combination of suede and leather seats, navi, and an exhaust note that'll probably require you to change pants everytime you hear it :drool: :drool:

:hitit: x100000

you could probably get a used one for around $45,000. where else are u gonna get 400hp for $45g's?:thumbsup:

Its fast but I wouldn't pay $45,000 for something with an interior made to the same standards as a Cavalier. However, to some people (buyers of the CTS-V), performance is the only thing that matters, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I would like to drive one, I think it would be fun for a bit.

acura_el
03-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Its fast but I wouldn't pay $45,000 for something with an interior made to the same standards as a Cavalier. However, to some people (buyers of the CTS-V), performance is the only thing that matters, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I would like to drive one, I think it would be fun for a bit.

the interior is pretty decent for a GM. not up to bmw/merc standards, but yeah, he definitely didn't buy it for the comfort and it's fun as hell

3G
03-16-2007, 11:26 PM
how about a 300C? Dont those go for 45?

Mitsu3000gt
03-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by 3G
how about a 300C? Dont those go for 45?

Yup. Their built on the old Mercedes E class platform too. They depreciate massively though, so a 1 or 2 year old one can be had for 10-15 grand less.

CTSV
03-17-2007, 08:32 PM
There is a 2005 CTS-V for sale at GSL, saw it listed for $47,000 in the Herald the other day. I don't know why everyone complains about GM dashboards. Most people say that they are to plastic. As a person in the plastic business, I can tell you that ALL dashboards are now injection molded plastic. Sure designed and layed out different but plastic just the same. My son and I were at the car show today. He likes Audi's and so do I, so we went to have a look at the A4. I sat in it and was looking around and he started to laugh. He said the interior was the same as his friend's VW Jetta. He got in the back seat and was amazed that the cupholders were exactly the same.
And yes the CTSV is a blast to drive. Most people have never seen one. Hard to keep the speed down though.

TNation
03-18-2007, 01:40 PM
G35 all the way man.
The new Sedans have 306 hp or something ridiculous and they are definetely luxurious, they pull you back in your seat, they look gorgeous, and are really reliable. Not to mention that in my Consumer Report Guide, its been the top upper sedan for the last few years, including 07!
Its a gimme on this one, although the 540i's are really amazing and keep their value extremely well, low depreciation rates. As Mitsu3000 says, the Audi S4's are really sick and would be worth taking a test drive for, beautiful interiors and they can easily kill the G35.
I'd test drive them all, then figure out what you like!

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by CTSV
There is a 2005 CTS-V for sale at GSL, saw it listed for $47,000 in the Herald the other day. I don't know why everyone complains about GM dashboards. Most people say that they are to plastic. As a person in the plastic business, I can tell you that ALL dashboards are now injection molded plastic. Sure designed and layed out different but plastic just the same. My son and I were at the car show today. He likes Audi's and so do I, so we went to have a look at the A4. I sat in it and was looking around and he started to laugh. He said the interior was the same as his friend's VW Jetta. He got in the back seat and was amazed that the cupholders were exactly the same.
And yes the CTSV is a blast to drive. Most people have never seen one. Hard to keep the speed down though.

A lot of dashboards are padded vinyl or whatever that material is, I don't think it's straight up plastic. Also, there are many different qualities of plastic. Additionally, some are all one piece, instead of 2 or 3 poorly matched pieces of the cheapest plastic available (I.e. many GM/Ford cars) with the excess material around the edges from the mold not even trimmed off. The cheap plastic stuff makes a noise when you run your fingernails over it and when it scratches it turns a lighter color. Also when you open the door, and have a look at the part that touches the B pillar, you can see that there has been no attempt to make things fit nicely, in comparison to other cars.

Also, about the cup holders, it doesn't matter if they use the same GOOD stuff in a manufacturer's line up of cars. The interior of an A4 is not the same as a Jetta. The gauge cluster looks similar, the door switches are the same and that's about it. The styling on the older Audi's is similar to the Jetta's interior however but not the same at all. What bothers me is when all the same plastic materials and buttons used in a $15,000 cavalier are used in $100,000 Cadillacs (or similar brand). I will agree that Cadillac has kicked it up a very very small notch for 2008 for interior quality, but I sat in the STS-V for about 5 min playing with things and I cannot believe what their charging for that thing. Nearly every single person who sat in it while I was in it commented to their friend on how cheaply it was built or its ridiculous price tag. That car should be going for $50-60k not $100k in my opinion, but if they can sell them for $100k, then they would be stupid not to. I even heard a comment, and I quote "I'm getting sick, we must be getting close to Cadillac" which made me laugh. The reason most people say these things is that they just came from the GM section and then into Cadillac and anyone with eyes can see the unfortunate similarities between their $15,000 cars and their $100,000 cars interiors. Shutting the doors sound the same, plastics are the same, the glove box feels like it's going to break every time you open it, etc etc. There's a reason they depreciate almost 50% in 2 years, and that is because of how their put together. Every year I go to the car show hoping that a lot of the American brands go out and buy an Audi or MB or Lexus or whatever and make some notes about how to do an interior, because that's all it takes. I think they know how to make a nice interior, I just think they don't want to spend the money. I like quite a few ideas behind some American cars but the interior and price tag ruin it for me every time. Every year I am disappointed and it is exaggerated by the fact that I can walk 10 feet to the competitor's car and point out every thing that is done better for the same or less money.

Anyways, a lot of people don't even care about the specific things I've mentioned so it doesn't even matter, but when I look at a car I'm thinking of buying I look very closely and you can really start to see the differences in how things are put together. I am not trying to say "all American cars are shit" or be a fanboy or anything like that, as there are ones I like quite a bit, I'm just saying anyone with eyes can tell there is a large quality difference there and it is unfortunate because every year more and more people are noticing it/commenting on it. Ford/GM/Chrysler are all in major financial trouble right now because nobody is buying their cars and it isn't hard to tell why in my opinion. If there is another reason I don't know what it is.

Tik-Tok
03-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
Must have 240+hp. I will not drive a weak car. Prefer RWD over FWD for sure.

Is there a specific reason you prefer RWD?

If your open to AWD, you can gets a Legacy GT for $40g, or even better the Legacy Spec-B for $45g.

If I had that kind of money to be spending, it's definately what I'd buy.

TNation
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
MITSU3000GT FTW

damn straight truth ^^^^

CTSV
03-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Mitsu
Actually, vinyl IS plastic, PVC to be specific. Most dashes are going away from that to TPU or TPO. This would be for the "padded" part. It would also be backed with a foam filling. The rest of the dash would most likely be ABS. As far as finish goes it would be what ever the car manufacturer spec'd out. I noticed the new Lincoln MKZ centre section had a silver painted finish but then had "wood" finish across the rest of the dash. I thought it would be better to do one or the other.
As far as trimming flash off the parts, I can say that no part with ANY flash would be accepted by ANY manufacturer.
I can tell you that I would NOT do any plastic molding for the big 3 as they seem to have a very adversarial relationship with their suppliers. The Japanese companies seem to work with their suppliers so both can be successful. I do have a used machine that came from a plant that did work for Honda. One day Honda came for a site visit and pulled (took) their molds. I think they ran a pretty sorry shop.
Speaking about imports and domestic though, in the molding business Japanese machines have become the best machines to run. (I have 5).
Car wise I still prefer GM. Most have their preferences, otherwise we would all drive the same vehicle and how boring would that be?
Harder and harder to call Imports that since now most are infact made in North America.

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by CTSV
Mitsu
Actually, vinyl IS plastic, PVC to be specific. Most dashes are going away from that to TPU or TPO. This would be for the "padded" part. It would also be backed with a foam filling. The rest of the dash would most likely be ABS. As far as finish goes it would be what ever the car manufacturer spec'd out. I noticed the new Lincoln MKZ centre section had a silver painted finish but then had "wood" finish across the rest of the dash. I thought it would be better to do one or the other.
As far as trimming flash off the parts, I can say that no part with ANY flash would be accepted by ANY manufacturer.
I can tell you that I would NOT do any plastic molding for the big 3 as they seem to have a very adversarial relationship with their suppliers. The Japanese companies seem to work with their suppliers so both can be successful. I do have a used machine that came from a plant that did work for Honda. One day Honda came for a site visit and pulled (took) their molds. I think they ran a pretty sorry shop.
Speaking about imports and domestic though, in the molding business Japanese machines have become the best machines to run. (I have 5).
Car wise I still prefer GM. Most have their preferences, otherwise we would all drive the same vehicle and how boring would that be?
Harder and harder to call Imports that since now most are infact made in North America.

Interesting info about the plastics.

I don't care where they make a particular care as long as they keep the quality standards + building processes the same as they do in Japan or wherever it is normally built. Hopefully that doesn't change.

dieselpower91
03-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I have changed my mind again.
Deciding not to buy new. The depreciation is the main factor.

Now, I went and looked at the overpriced CTS-V at GSL.
They are very nice car. There are a bunch in BC I am planning to go look at. One at GSL has 50,xxxkm for 47g, BC ones go for 38,000-4x,xxx with 7500-38000km.

I agree with "CTSV" that it is all about personal preference. I went to the Car and Truck show.. I sat in alot of cars, GM's, Dodge's, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.. I have always been a fan of GM and always will be. Honestly, driving an Infiniti G35, Lexus, BMW, anything of that sort just doesn't appeal to me (flame me all you want thats my opinion) I want to drive something that I don't see on the road every day numerous times.

ScottysZ
03-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Good call. :thumbsup: Those V's are amazing.

benyl
03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I would buy a CTSV... only if you want to grenade the rear diff on a regular basis.

Check out the caddy boards. Before I bought my STi, I was researching the CTSV... I decided against it very easily.

CTSV
03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Diesel
As you can guess, I have a CTSV. 2006 Red with 5000KM. It is a great car. It is NOT however a good winter car. If you buy one drive in in the summer and put it away for winter. You can use it in winter if you put good winter tires on it, but it still won't be your best winter driver. I use my Z71 truck when weather is wet. Also, I don't care if someone hits my truck... Regarding the rear ends, the 2004 and 2005 had issues, most causing problems were or are replaced under warrenty with the 2006 rear end. This is better. Just be aware that this car is not designed as a drag racer otherwise it would have a solid rear end instead of the independant rear it has. It is a great car for a road course or if you want to drag do it from a roll. 20mph to 140mph very few STOCK cars will keep up. ie M5, SL63 etc will beat it but they are roughly twice the price.
If you want a deal, do what I did, pick one up in the US and bring it back. You can pick up a 2005 with low miles for US$33,000, 2004 under $30,000. Just make sure you use a customs broker that knows what they are doing.
Regarding a subbie STI, I saw one at the car show. I asked my son who was with me what he would think of a 57 year old bald guy driving one. He had a good chuckle, I think I'll stick with the Caddy...besides, it's more of a sleeper..