PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Cards

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2007, 09:56 AM
I was wondering which card you guys reccomend...a couple I was looking at are:

Joe Demb Bounce Card

And

A Better Bounce Card

I have a hard time bouncing the flash off the roof and I don't like the results I get from head-on flash. I think I would use my flash way more if I had one of these, because as of right now my flash pictures are horrible.

Does the home made one work just as good as any store bought one?

Thanks.

turboMiata
03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
the home made one works just as well although it tends to look ghetto. no sense in wasting money.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata
the home made one works just as well although it tends to look ghetto. no sense in wasting money.

Thanks.

Also what do you think of the STO-FEN Omni bounce? That one kind of appealed to me too.

turboMiata
03-15-2007, 01:43 PM
yeah, they are a ripoff. if you shop around at Walmart, you might find plastic bottles that have the same size bottoms. just cut the bottle up and tape the bottom to the speedlight and you get the same effect.

If you go to the Camera Store, they sell some photographic chemicals in bottles. These bottles have the same shape as the omnibounce and i'm sure you can find a way to rig it to fit your speedlight.

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks.

Fire_chickin
03-16-2007, 11:51 AM
I've used both bounce cards and the omni bounce and the results are similar but the big disappointment about the omni bounce is they really reduce the amount of light output so you have to remember to adjust for it. If you don't mind the white card and rubber band look I say go for that.

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Fire_chickin
I've used both bounce cards and the omni bounce and the results are similar but the big disappointment about the omni bounce is they really reduce the amount of light output so you have to remember to adjust for it. If you don't mind the white card and rubber band look I say go for that.

Thanks. I don't mind paying a little extra money for a slick pre-made unit so I think I might go for some sort of bounce card.

turboMiata
03-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Fire_chickin
the omni bounce is they really reduce the amount of light output so you have to remember to adjust for it.

that's not exactly true. depending on which speedlight you use. on the 550 and 580EX, the speedlight automatically compensates for the light modifier. You don't have to do worry about it.

The only tradeoff, is your speedlight will work harder to put out the extra light that is blocked by the modifier. As a result, the flash may not be able to reach as far or as wide and your batteries don't last as long. This is an issue any time you put something in front of the bulb.

Nabzif
03-17-2007, 09:55 PM
DIY :thumbsup:

KKY
03-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Nabzif
DIY :thumbsup:
Your DIY is way nicer than mine.... i have a piece of white card board:bigpimp:
works quite well though

C4S
03-18-2007, 12:43 AM
You can actually try somehting like this :