PDA

View Full Version : Bmw X5

TNation
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I know a lot of beyonder's own these, my Dad are going to buy an SUV this summer, I have done my research and the X5 is rated poorly for reliability. How are you all finding the X5? Its pretty good on gas (the v6 version right) and its fairly luxurious, but whats the reliability been like for you all? My next choice is the Infiniti FX45 or the MDX but I frankly don't enjoy the MDX's styling..
any thoughts on any of these three SUV's would be great!

Rav4Guy
03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
What I drive: '04 G35, '04 X5

so... you're looking for an x5? You were born in 1988 (makes you 19 at most?). I guess it does say "what you drive" and not "what you own".

- MDX and a fx45/x5 are different categories.
- the base 3.0 aren't very luxurious as they barely come with power windows and no leather.
- V6 and V8... big difference in price 3.0 vs. 4.4
- If you're dropping 70K on a car... gas consumption is the least of your worries.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree with the above, but would also like to add that the difference in MPG between some of Today's modern V8's and 6-cyl motors (especially from BMW) is fairly small, often only a few MPG city and similar on the highway. IMO the difference is even less in underpowered cars if your always having to giver' to get up to speed.

With my car, for example, I get ~8.6 L/100km in the city. It is chipped and twin turbo - 2 things that aren't very nice to gas mileage. I think the difference is that I get up to speed with no effort at all and very quickly, and then I cruise along at 5-6 L/100km for the rest of the way until I stop again. If my car was underpowered, I'd be sucking gas for way longer getting up to speed or maintaining it. That's just my opinion anyways.

Kaos
03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Poor for reliability?
I highly doubt it, mine is probably the best car I've owned for reliablity. Then again, its still new.
Gas was a bit of a change from a 55 liter tank to a 92 liter tank.
I can see my needle drop as soon as I touch the gas.

Gas consumption isn't much in either the 3.0 > 4.8.
They're pretty close.
I'm sticking with the X5 for a long time.
I've never once had any complaints with my sister's X5 and her's is 4 years old than mine.

me&you
03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy

so... you're looking for an x5? You were born in 1988 (makes you 19 at most?). I guess it does say "what you drive" and not "what you own".

- the base 3.0 aren't very luxurious as they barely come with power windows and no leather.
- If you're dropping 70K on a car... gas consumption is the least of your worries.

Sounds a little harsh, but what ev'...

By the sounds of it, he's not buying a new X5, when comparing it to a FX/MDX... so a $70k '07 is not what he's after.

There are plenty of 3.0s out there for what some guys on this site put into an Integra... not huge $$$.

I've never had a problem with an X5, but Mitsu is right; the 4.4 isn't much worse on gas than the 3.0. The 4.6/4.8 is another story!

That being said, I would give up the power of an early 4.4 to get an 04 3.0 with the X-Drive... blows the early X5s away!

Ogpogo
03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy

They must be parent cars. I was in his class last semester and he was trying to sell his 98 maxima or something.

TNation
03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I myself am not looking at buying an X5, my Dad is.
me&you is correct, an X5 3.0 is pretty cheap, he's going to buy it from out East and save some money as well. The Consumer Reports rates the X5 as an SUV "to avoid".. he's looking at buying an 04 to an 06

Ogpogo
03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by TNation
I myself am not looking at buying an X5, my Dad is.

Well you don't need to alter your writing on here to impress or anything, because we're all willing to help regardless most of the time. Besides, you can't say it was hard to get the impression that it was you yourself buying the vehicle. Example: (before you edited the first post)

Originally posted by TNation
I know a lot of beyonder's own these, I'm going to buy an SUV this summer, I have done my research and the X5 is rated poorly for reliability. .... My next choice is the Infiniti FX45 or the MDX but I frankly don't enjoy the MDX's styling..
any thoughts on any of these three SUV's would be great!

Know what I mean?

Rav4Guy
03-15-2007, 11:51 AM
^^ I see you've edited your post to reflect that.

I looked at X5's a couple years ago and well, it was a little expensive for the amount of options you get.

It gets pretty expensive once you jump from the 3.0 to the 4.4 but it sure makes a difference considering it's a pretty heavy SUV.

Try looking at a FX45, ML350 of GX470 for some comparables. They won't be in the 50K range though.... new of course.

Was I being harsh initiall? probably, but I can't stand the small exaggerations that come with some of these posts.

BMTech
03-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Hiya, i know a little about the X5 series. What model is your dad looking for?

the inline 6 3.0L engines are great (same as 330ci) very little issues with this engine. The major problem we have is the idle and tensioner pulleys are crap and make noise after 2 winters of driving. secondary air pump and arresting valves are bad on our cars in general. (slow as ass tho)

the V8 cars are nice the new engines are allot better for idle and missfire (had allot of problems in the past). Intake manifold gaskets and valley pans go here and there on the V8 cars, but i think thats really about it.

X5 suspension: Front lower control arm bushings are crap, the new 07' models look allot better for this. Other suspension components are very solid have had really no issues with them at all.

if you need anyother info let me know, but overall i think the trucks are quite good.

TNation
03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by BMTech
Hiya, i know a little about the X5 series. What model is your dad looking for?

the inline 6 3.0L engines are great (same as 330ci) very little issues with this engine. The major problem we have is the idle and tensioner pulleys are crap and make noise after 2 winters of driving. secondary air pump and arresting valves are bad on our cars in general. (slow as ass tho)

the V8 cars are nice the new engines are allot better for idle and missfire (had allot of problems in the past). Intake manifold gaskets and valley pans go here and there on the V8 cars, but i think thats really about it.

X5 suspension: Front lower control arm bushings are crap, the new 07' models look allot better for this. Other suspension components are very solid have had really no issues with them at all.

if you need anyother info let me know, but overall i think the trucks are quite good.

now they are not highly recommended at all... is there many electrical components that break down? What would you recommend.. a V6 or V8 engine? And he's looking at an 02 and up as well, what is the maintaince costs like? Crazy high?

BMTech
03-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Well as for electrical really not much breaks down at all... i have replaced side view folding mirriors because the microswitch inside gives up and they dont stay folded in. The rear wiper sometimes ceases up but thats only if you dont look after the truck, IE cleaning it.

According to BMW o2 sensors are not to be replaced until about 250000 KMS, i think i have replaced one after cat 02 sensor on an x5 in my time fixing them.

maintaince... well its a BMW, im not going to lie its expensive. But on the other hand BMW engines are very well thought out in the eyes of a mechanic and very easy to work on.. so after warrenty its quite easy to work on for regular maintanince. (parts are not actually that expensive.. just labour)

Thats tough to say about reccomendations Inline 6 is great because its BMW's staple engine and its pretty much bullet proof but in the X5 its DAMN slow.... the V8s are nice and purky but we do have a little more of those in that the inline 6.

i think that should answer your questions if not ask away :P

ScottysZ
03-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Id stay away from the vehicles out east... theyre cheap for a reason.

TNation
03-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I've bought all my vehicles out East and they are no different than out here.
I talked to a BMW dealer last week and his own words he said that 60% of all the new and used cars they sell out West are actually imported from out in Ontario.
I have lived out there for a long while and it seriously is no different than out here... there's just much more people out there and the prices are much lower. Plus I don't have to pay PST either which makes it even cheaper!
haha

BMTech do you know anything about the FX35/FX45's???

ScottysZ
03-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Well if its a new vehicle it doesnt much matter since it hasnt been on the roads. Ontario is not as bad as atlantic or quebec as far as salt goes, but there is still a lot of acid rain there which definitely doesnt help the body.

And btw, how many cars have you personally bought from out there?

TNation
03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ
Well if its a new vehicle it doesnt much matter since it hasnt been on the roads. Ontario is not as bad as atlantic or quebec as far as salt goes, but there is still a lot of acid rain there which definitely doesnt help the body.

And btw, how many cars have you personally bought from out there?

my Dad has bought all his cars out there (over 10 or so)
and I've bought three
no problems whatsoever