PDA

View Full Version : Cardio work / fat loss

Masked Bandit
03-15-2007, 01:45 PM
So the theory goes that you are supposed to keep your heart rate a bit lower for a better burn of fat.

Can oneone explain how this actually works? I can't get my head around the idea that a brisk walk would burn more fat than jogging.

GTS Jeff
03-15-2007, 03:32 PM
An oversimplification:

When you run, your body needs energy. It can draw that energy from different places, such as your fat stores, protein stores, blood sugar, etc etc.

When you run faster, your body is like, "oh shit son, I need some energy right away," and it grabs it from wherever the fuck it can find it, which means indiscriminately burning proteins, fats, whatever, for energy. This means you're burning away your muscles. Not so cool.

When you run slower, your body has time to be like, "ok, I have my pick of what I get my energy from. Hmm fat is a good place to start," and so it burns the fat away while leaving your muscles alone.

krisopotamus
03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
^ what he said.

If you are trying to lose weight do your "cardio" in the morning BEFORE you eat anything. That way you are burning stored energy (ie. fat) rather than food energy.

You won't be able to run for very long in the morning because you havn't eaten so most suggest to walk from 45 mins to an hour.

Kobe
03-16-2007, 12:36 AM
While on this topic, how long should a decent jog be?

GingeRRRBeef
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Target Heart Rate is Useless for Losing Body Fat (http://ezinearticles.com/?Target-Heart-Rate-is-Useless-for-Losing-Body-Fat&id=409204)

I co-wrote this target heart rate article with Craig Ballantyne because we want to get the message out to everyone who keeps struggling with this outdated mentality that they must be in some sort of "fat burning zone" if they want to stand any chance of losing body fat with their workouts. We'll show you why targeting a specific heart rate to be in this so-called fat burning zone is actually the opposite of what you should be focusing on in your workouts if you truly want to get lasting fat loss results.

One of the worst myths in the fitness industry is that you need to maintain a specific heart rate range in the fat burning zone in order to lose fat. But this is simply not true. Unfortunately, this false belief leads people to choose low intensity steady state cardio routines that are ineffective and cause most people a major lack of results from their workouts.

The quicker you get rid of the "target fat burning heart rate = the best workout" mentality, the faster you will actually start to get real results with fat loss and changing the shape of your body for good.

In the Turbulence Training workouts, you actually burn more fat and more total calories when you are OUT of the gym due to the high-intensity and variable intensity nature of the training methods in these programs. This phenomenon is not due to the elevated heart rate you experience during the workout (even though your heart rate will be increased from the supersets and intervals), but rather from the metabolic and hormonal response you achieve from the more effective workout compared to your ineffective "fat burning zone" workout.

Over the last 10 years, scientific research has indicated a couple of very important things to us about exercising for body fat loss. First of all, lifting heavier weights while exercising leads to a higher caloric consumption by the body in the period for about 1-2 days following the workout when compared to lifting light weights with high repetitions. So that's why 6-8 repetitions per set is better than 12-15 reps per set when it comes to stimulating the metabolism for losing fat permanently. That's one of the cornerstones of the types of training routines in programs that actually get results, like Turbulence Training.

Another important aspect we have learned from scientific research in recent years is that highly variable interval-type training is far superior to slow, steady-pace cardio exercise for fat loss and post-exercise induced calorie burning. In the long run, if you focus on the internal metabolic response your body is getting from your workout routines, instead of how many calories you burn during some sort of magical "target fat burning heart rate zone", you will achieve MUCH better fat loss results. So not only is it more result-producing, but it is also more time-efficient to use short high-intensity interval training workouts instead of slow, long, steady-pace cardio sessions.

The only time you might need to know your specific heart rate is during the recovery period of the interval training. It is important to take enough time during your recovery intervals in order for your heart rate to drop back down significantly (allow it drop to approximately less than 60% of your max heart rate).

That way you are able to get more quality work done when it counts. You do not want to start your next high-intensity interval too soon, nor do you want to exercise too hard during your recovery intervals.

All of these details are provided in the interval training guidelines within the Turbulence Training program. And we'll show you how to properly structure your intervals so that you allow enough recovery time between each. With these guidelines, you do not have to worry about monitoring your target heart rate or anything fancy like that. It's just not necessary. Just follow the TT instructions, and you will do great.

So here's the bottom line:

If you want to start actually getting the fat loss results you've been wanting for so long, do not worry so much about your target fat buring heart rate zone during exercise. Instead, make sure that you are working at a high-intensity and a variable intensity (according to your individual capabilities of course) during each weight lifting and interval training session.

The TT workout guidelines will give you all of the details you need on the specific rest periods to use between supersets and intervals. With these guidelines, you will start to see vastly improved results from your workouts within weeks of implementing the changes.

SiR_lyfe
03-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I think its if you have a fast heat rate, ex: running instead of walking, you will burn more fat then walking or jogging.

if you are loking at getting bigger, then do a light walk on an incline treadmill. get your heart rate pumping

just my opinion, i dont do too much cardio

GingeRRRBeef
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
While it is true that you do a higher percentage of fat as fuel when working at a lower intensities, the most important factor to losing weight is the total calories burned during and after exercise. High intensity exercises allows you to burn more calories. Also higher intensity exercises increase

SiR_lyfe
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
While it is true that you do a higher percentage of fat as fuel when working at a lower intensities, the most important factor to losing weight is the total calories burned during and after exercise. High intensity exercises allows you to burn more calories. Also higher intensity exercises increase

:werd: like 30min a day of good solid running,and your shred pounds instantly

GingeRRRBeef
03-16-2007, 11:13 AM
While it is true that you do a higher percentage of fat as fuel when working at a lower intensities, the most important factor to losing weight is the total calories burned during and after exercise. High intensity exercises allows you to burn more calories. Also higher intensity exercises increase your metabolism for a longer period after work out.

For example, you can do an hour of low intensity cardio but you're gonna see more benefits if you take that hour and do higher intensity exercises.

krisopotamus
03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh and to add, when you do it in the morning it increases your metabolism throughout the day so while resting you burn more calories than normally when you dont workout in the morning.

GTS Jeff
03-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
While it is true that you do a higher percentage of fat as fuel when working at a lower intensities, the most important factor to losing weight is the total calories burned during and after exercise. High intensity exercises allows you to burn more calories. Also higher intensity exercises increase Well, it depends on your goals. If you want to retain muscle mass while losing weight, then it makes more sense to go low intensity. But if you only care about losing weight, and you don't give a shit where you are losing it, then I think it would make sense to run harder.

Darkane
03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Well, it depends on your goals. If you want to retain muscle mass while losing weight, then it makes more sense to go low intensity. But if you only care about losing weight, and you don't give a shit where you are losing it, then I think it would make sense to run harder.

Correct. Thing is the metabolism is DIRECTLY related to the amount of Lean body mass a person has, that said losing muscle and fat to get skinny is setting yourself up for failure later when you go back to your old lifestyle.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Healthy lifestyles with consistent physical activity > All diets, fads, Hard cutting etc.

Be healthy, strong and happy. :thumbsup:

Euro838
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I believe it takes the same amount of energy to go the same distance regardless of how fast you do it. i.e. run vs walk.

benyl
03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
I believe it takes the same amount of energy to go the same distance regardless of how fast you do it. i.e. run vs walk.

You are kidding right?

Euro838
03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Here are some articles:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=6381

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/run-walk.html

benyl
03-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
Here are some articles:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=6381

http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/run-walk.html

Both those articles state that running burns more calories.

Think about it in car terms. If you drive you car 90 km/h on the highway, you get 20mpg. If you drive 170km/h, you might be lucky to get 12mpg.

Going faster always burns more energy, not matter how you look at it.

Canmorite
03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Yea going faster definitely burns more energy.

Try biking/running a kilometer at 20 km/h, then try it again at 40 km/h :nut:

Euro838
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I think you guys are missing the point here. Yes, I agree (and as stated in the article), that I do stand corrected that running does burn more calories than walking but it's fairly close so it will support the OP's question regarding burning fat at a low heart rate.

Basically, in the articles, if you walk 1 mile, the calories burned will be approximately close to that same mile were you to jog/run (all other factors being equal). If it takes you 15 min to walk 1 mile at a burn rate of 5 calories per min, you will burn 75 calories. If you run the same mile in 8.5 min, at a burn rate of 10 calories per min, you will burn 85. I'd say it is close enough that people who do not want the same intensity required by running a particular distance, that they can walk the same distance and still have a similar effect on energy consumed.

Obviously, if you run vs walk for the same time frame, you will burn off more energy running but my view is more in terms of distance travelled.

GTS Jeff
03-19-2007, 02:07 PM
W = F x D

Think about it.

RUQUIKR
03-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
W = F x D

Think about it.

Exactly!!