PDA

View Full Version : Launching?

GTS Jeff
05-31-2003, 06:22 PM
how do u guys launch?

after my first time thru the 1/4 mile yesterday, ive determined that i blow at launching. my best 60' time was 2.5s, which seems kinda high for an FR car with grippy falken azenis..

Redlyne_mr2
05-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
how do u guys launch?

after my first time thru the 1/4 mile yesterday, ive determined that i blow at launching. my best 60' time was 2.5s, which seems kinda high for an FR car with grippy falken azenis..
I dont remember the specific rpm needed to properly launch an ae86 but I think it was around the 3700 mark. I usually feather the throttle between 35 and 38 drop the clutch while flooring it

Ben
05-31-2003, 07:28 PM
My best time last night was with a 2.3 60' (normally I'm around 2.5)

I pretty much just dumped the clutch at 6000 and feathered the gas pedal to regulate control around 6500.

All other times I launched at lower rpm (4-55) I got way slower 60' times.

Also had my front tire pressure at 15psi...

Also, yeah, your tires are grippy, but your car lacks alot of TQ and HP to keep you from bogging which was evident whenever I saw you launching.

5.9 R/T
05-31-2003, 07:32 PM
Nice 60ft time Ben, looks like you got some Madd Skills!

Ben
05-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Nice 60ft time Ben, looks like you got some Madd Skills!

heh, thanks. I've generally been pretty good on the launches.

HEAPS of torque steer though, it was challenging having to fit the 1-2 shift in there and get back to controlling more torque steer. Thats why who ever saw me out there last night I missed two 1-2 shifts. I was swearing like a sailor the whole rest of the strip. :banghead:

Now as for Jeffs launches, well, I've never had the opprotunity to try launching that beast. I would think with a motor as peeky as his you would have to launch realativly high.

Vitesse951
06-01-2003, 04:53 AM
I have a 1989 944 non turbo, which is a FR setup and similar to your power. I think torque is really gonna dictate at what RPM you launch at, inversely proportional, or course. What you do with the launch in terms of dropping or feathering is more of a preference. I used to drop the clutch, and now I prefer feathering. I have found that in my particular car, even moreseo in the turbo, that a 4k launch with a decent amount of clutch feathering can produce consistent 2.1 60ft times.

I think the variables to consider are:
-Torque
-Drive layout
-Tire width/compound
- How much you like you clutch

If its that important to you, the new Gtech can measure 60ft as well as just about everything else. That is the best way to figure it out if you dont want to take it to the strip. I played around with different techniques using the Gtech as a reference and got mine down 3 tenths.