PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from Eastern Canada and bringing it to Western Canada

JustinGTP
03-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Hi guys,

If I were to buy a car in a province out east, would I be charged PST as well as GST? (At a dealer)

And I know about the rust problems they may have, that is NOT the question here.

Thanks.

Justin.

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2007, 07:26 AM
If they charge you for it, you get it back once the car is in Alberta. Either way you don't have to pay it.

Euro838
03-16-2007, 07:31 AM
If they did try to charge you the PST, I'd definitely argue with them on it. It's better to not pay it in the first place then to pay and then have the hassle to collect it later. Your driver's license with your Alberta residency should suffice for most places.

As for the rust, I think it is a hit and miss as I have seen cars that were in pretty bad shape and others where you couldn't tell. It's all about owners and how they kept their vehicles. If it was garage kept, then you're in pretty good shape.

hjr
03-16-2007, 10:18 AM
apparently you can get the pst back. there was a post about it here a month? ago or so about bringing cars from ontario that had a link to the gst rebate

TNation
03-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by hjr
apparently you can get the pst back. there was a post about it here a month? ago or so about bringing cars from ontario that had a link to the gst rebate

yeah its in here somewhere
there is no PST charge
you should not have to pay it
just bring your Alberta drivers licence to them
and the dealer normally won't charge you the PST
if they do, you can fill out a PST return form

TBear 2
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting the car in the East, that is where I am from, and if you would like I am sure I can get someone to go check it out first hand for you before you make the deal....

Just let me know....it's not a prob, and my dad is a salesmen so I might even be able to help you out with a deal if its in the Maritimes!!!

TNation
03-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by TBear 2
If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting the car in the East, that is where I am from, and if you would like I am sure I can get someone to go check it out first hand for you before you make the deal....

Just let me know....it's not a prob, and my dad is a salesmen so I might even be able to help you out with a deal if its in the Maritimes!!!

good advice and good deals out there!

TBear 2
03-19-2007, 02:57 PM
I have seen to many people getting screwed by salesmen and what not...so I would not let someone go thru it again...

And well I know pretty much someone in each city of the Maritimes that I would trust into looking it for anyone...

So just let me know...

Because I know of a few dealership, that are big time frauds...

eb0i
03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
My gf was going to buy a car out in BC from a dealer and they said that we didn't have to pay PST (and didn't add it into the price tag) as long as we showed proof of residence in Alberta (drivers license).

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he means ontario, as thats where most cars get imported from due to the lower costs... I think the main reason cars are cheaper are because of some of the manufacturing plants there.

arian_ma
03-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I'm pretty sure he means ontario, as thats where most cars get imported from due to the lower costs... I think the main reason cars are cheaper are because of some of the manufacturing plants there.

And because their market isn't stupidly inflated like ours is...

rc2002
03-19-2007, 07:50 PM
They're cheaper over there because there's a bigger market there. Plus you get what you pay for. 99% of the cars out there are in worse condition.