PDA

View Full Version : Spring Project Thread on Old 7

AllGoNoShow
03-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Well the old 7 needs some work and since I have had quite a few people say they like how I show things I have done with such an old beast I will continue to post up simple repairs and modifications as well.

If you don't approve of my thread then don't read/post in it. I always welcome constructive critiscisim and comments and love to hear what you guys think about what I have done/am doing.

Here is a list of current repairs she needs, most of the labour will be done by myself or freinds so it will be cheap except for things liek tranny which SHOULD be warranty work....

- Both Rear LAD Struts need replacement
Autopartsonlinecanada.com

Left Sachs OEM: $673.95
Right Sachs OEM: $703.95
Shipping: Free on $75+ orders.

Total: $1377.90 CDN

- Rear H&R Springs need to be installed once struts are replaced

- Sending all wheels out to be refinished/repaired. Will come back with machined lips/black centers.

- Need to replace weather stripping around doors

- Passenger window motor needs to be replaced. Sounds liek the gears are stripped when trying to roll the window down.

- Driver seatback twist needs to be fixed, but considering just replacing seats as some of hte seems are ripped, going to see how much it will cost just to repair the seams and go from their first.

- Bought replacement front passenger fender, just need to get it painted same colour and installed.

- Need new foglight lenses, one has hole in it from rig truck and they are both faded and dirty anyways.

- My new headlights suffered a severe beating on the trip out to BC then drunken freind on the same day I got back, need to order a new set of those.

- Do some sort of windsheild washer fluid retrofit. I removed the OEM tanks when I installed HID's as I couldn't find a spot for the HID boxes for the headlights and foglights.

- Heater/Blower just decided to stop working yesterday, don't know what that is about but will hopefully know in the next week.

- Ofcourse the automatic tranny I spent $3500 repairing, still doesn't work right. Need to drop her off and get that looked at. Takes a good 30-60 seconds for her to warm up enough to start moving. And still egt a squeal when shifting from first. All fo which was supposed to be repaired when she went in the first time.

- Still need to address the shimmying problem I have already spent a ton of money trying to fix, time to take that to a professional (Alpien Autoworks) and get it fixed once and for all.

- Valve adjustment and tune up *new plugs/wires* need to be sometime in the process as well

- Already replaced the expansion tank for coolant, need ot see if its just low on coolant or if their is another leak somewhere int he system. Hopefully not headgasket.

As you can see I have quite the repair list ahead of me, nevermind some of the modifications I want to do...

- Custom exhaust

- Custom valvecover/order a pre-powerder coated valve cover

- Depending on ride height once rear is fixed, I may heat the front H&R springs a little to drop another .5" as she still sits a little high

- Some sort of front velance/lower spoiler, possibly sideskirts and rear as well. Waiting for pictures from MK motorsports out of Germany to be sent to my house.

- 10% Tint all around except windsheild

- Strut tower bar and upgraded sway bars with poly bushings

Some people are probably liek holly fuck why don't you just sell it and get her over with. Well memorys and past tiems with the car as well as the fact I just love driving her, even in the shape she is in right now she drives better then some of my freinds cars. I won't be getting rid of her anytime soon no matter what the problems are.

Hope to have another update by the weekend/mid-week on started progress. Need to clean out garage of the new house so we can start working on her!

De Dutch
03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Thats what I was thinking, with all the time and money your dumping into it you should just upgrade ... nice e36 or e46 ...

AllGoNoShow
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Not a fan of smaller cars unless it would be an M3, but that isn't going to happen at this point in time.

De Dutch
03-17-2007, 08:04 PM
You like boats eh?

AllGoNoShow
03-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Sure do :) Comfy as hell :D

Dayclone
03-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Just a question, how many Km's is on the car?

If you had a motor swap or anything then tell me the KM's on the body...

cause that's crazy it lasted you this long... must like BMW eh?

Steve

AllGoNoShow
03-18-2007, 06:41 PM
22xxxx miles so over 350xxx km.

the engine is still original. Tranny has probably 10-20k, if that.

If the engine were to ever go and a perf. rebuilt 3.5 was too much, I think I would seriously consider an LS1 or another American v8 swap. I love the refinery of the BMW but the balls of the american.

AllGoNoShow
03-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Well looked into a few things while it was nice outside.

Looks liek the CCM (Check Control Module) might be at fault for some of my electrical gremlins liek the heater blower and some other things.

As well as the thermostat might be the problem for my heating issues/running too cool even though leak has been fixed and no other obveous leaks can be found.

Thanks to a local member BMDUBS he is going to check some prices and help me order parts, including cheaper shocks (score!). If you bimmer guys need parts shoot him a PM, he may be able to help you out!

Keep you updated! Going to try and check sparkplugs and some other little things tomorrow if I wake up while its nice.

JayM481
03-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by De Dutch
Thats what I was thinking, with all the time and money your dumping into it you should just upgrade ... nice e36 or e46 ...

Why, if you have a 7, would you want to shoe-horn your life into a smaller car?

I got rid of my E46, and still have my E32 and E28 (latter is a Euro M5, so I'll likely never part with it). "Upgrade" is relative.

AllGoNoShow
03-24-2007, 08:49 PM
E28 M5 :drool: :drool:

You should come out to some Eurodrivers.ca meets when we do Calgary + Edmonton meets.

De Dutch
03-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JayM481

Why, if you have a 7, would you want to shoe-horn your life into a smaller car?

I got rid of my E46, and still have my E32 and E28 (latter is a Euro M5, so I'll likely never part with it). "Upgrade" is relative.

Ok upgrade may have been a poor choice of words. Newer, less maintenance etc etc, considering the work he is putting into his 7. Just a suggestion, but there is something to be said for blood and sweat that one puts into their ride, has a special meaning, so that should be considered. I hardly think goin from a 7 to a 3 series is "shoe horning" your life?

JayM481
03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
E28 M5 :drool: :drool:

You should come out to some Eurodrivers.ca meets when we do Calgary + Edmonton meets.

Unfortunately I just swam against the current, and moved East to Ottawa. It's a bit too much of a drive even in the M5 :D.

De Dutch,
I know what you mean - my "family car" is an '04 Volvo XC70, though my E32 is my daily driver. The thing is, any BMW is going to be costly in maintenance once the "free" service for a new car is used up. Parts are easier to find for the newer ones, but the older cars have better access to good quality after-market stuff. In some cases better quality than OEM. My E32 is due to get the suspension redone this summer, and once done (albeit at a cost) it'll be better than stock, and for less money than if I bought the parts from the dealer.

Of course, the least expensive way to maintain the older cars is to do as much as you can yourself. If you don't have the time or inclination, a newer model is probably the better choice for you. My problem is that most BMW first-owners only do the dealer-mandated free service, and maybe a couple of Oil Services after purchase, few will pony up for an Inspection II - they just trade up. BMW's new "free" service and service intervals don't sit right with me - and I'm not ready to beleive there is any such thing as a "lifetime" lubricant (unless the predicted "life" of the entire car is only a few years). BMWs used to be built to last forever, with regular maintenance - my E32 has about 320,000 km on it and is still a better driving car than the Volvo. I fear the newer ones won't be so bullet proof.

AllGoNoShow
03-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by JayM481

Unfortunately I just swam against the current, and moved East to Ottawa. It's a bit too much of a drive even in the M5 :D.

De Dutch,
I know what you mean - my "family car" is an '04 Volvo XC70, though my E32 is my daily driver. The thing is, any BMW is going to be costly in maintenance once the "free" service for a new car is used up. Parts are easier to find for the newer ones, but the older cars have better access to good quality after-market stuff. In some cases better quality than OEM. My E32 is due to get the suspension redone this summer, and once done (albeit at a cost) it'll be better than stock, and for less money than if I bought the parts from the dealer.

Of course, the least expensive way to maintain the older cars is to do as much as you can yourself. If you don't have the time or inclination, a newer model is probably the better choice for you. My problem is that most BMW first-owners only do the dealer-mandated free service, and maybe a couple of Oil Services after purchase, few will pony up for an Inspection II - they just trade up. BMW's new "free" service and service intervals don't sit right with me - and I'm not ready to beleive there is any such thing as a "lifetime" lubricant (unless the predicted "life" of the entire car is only a few years). BMWs used to be built to last forever, with regular maintenance - my E32 has about 320,000 km on it and is still a better driving car than the Volvo. I fear the newer ones won't be so bullet proof.

Shitty deal.

Your explaination is bang on :thumbsup:

johnnybad1
03-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Big black BMW's are classy rides and if you can do the work yourself you should end up with a great car at an affodable price. Compare the insurance cost on yours to a new BMW...good luck with your project.