PDA

View Full Version : Ran a 5K race today..

fast95pony
03-18-2007, 11:49 AM
My first race in about a year.I finished in slow 44 minutes 20 seconds.But I didn't injure anything :) .
I haven't run much since I met my now wife a year ago.
I want to get running again,so I trained for the 5K race today,and next week I start training for a 10K race.
My best time last year was 74 minutes. My goal is to run 10K in under 1 hour and lose 50 lbs by the end of this year.

tawheed
03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Good stuff!! Running was my main tool when I wanted to lose weight.. Never thought I'd enjoy it.. I still do it now for fun..

iceburns288
03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Running is the stuff! If you're looking to cut weight you are on the right path:thumbsup: .
Good luck in your 10k. I've personally never run one but I bet it'll be a lot of fun.

Don't forget you can also try biking for a good workout. Biking is low-impact, so it won't do much damage to your knees or ankles that you can get from running. I like to bike on weekends when I can and run and swim during the week.:)

msommers
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
That's awesome man. I'm not sure what you are using now but an excellent, comfortable, light running shoe can make a world of difference.

Good luck! Where are you training at? I might have to join you and get back into shape for soccer this season!

fast95pony
03-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I've been running with a bunch of friends at the Running Room in Country Hills for about 18 months. I find running with other people better than running by myself.We always encourage each other. I've made lots of friends through running.All of them have a good,positive outlook on life.

I've completed a few clinics at the Running Room and worked P/T there for a few months,so I have decent knowledge of running shoes and equipment. I presently run in Brooks Adrenaline GTS7 .

I'm getting a bike this summer.My company is moving closer to my home,so I want to bike to work.This should also burn off some fat !

Euro838
03-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes, shoes and clothing make a world of difference! If it's something you are going to do, it's worth the investment. Your shins, knees and back will thank you later on.

Oz-
03-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Congrats.

I ran my first 5k back in December (Santa Shuffle), the problem I had running it was being at the front of the pack and going out too quickly with the 15 min 5K runners.

Learned how to run it to get better times now and looking to get the 20 min 5k time and hoping to get into shape for a 10k run.

fast95pony
03-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Congrats!

I ran the Santa Shuffle in 2005.It was my second 5K race.

A 20 min 5K is very quick ! My best is 37.xx

Right now I could barely do it in 40 minutes :cry:

Hakkola
03-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Man, even hearing the words 5km run makes me cringe. I had to do a few cooper tests this year, 12 min run, I could only do about 2.6km and I was at the back of the pack. 5km in 20 mins is pretty impressive. :thumbsup:

Milk2%
03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
i've been running 5k in under -/+ 20 for a bunch of years now.

Redlyne_mr2
03-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Yah 5K in 20mins is decently quick ..shoes are super important..I dont worry about the clothes though, people who run in spandex and all that hardcore neoprene shit are fags. its funny when they get passed by a dude in bermuda jam shorts and a fresh white T.

Audio_Rookie
03-21-2007, 01:46 AM
18 min 44 seconds in terry fox run in grade 8, I would probably run around 45 min now though lol.

I have not ran that far in about 6 years......but im getting back into ddr to get that stamina up :). If I can play max 300 on heavy and beat it, 5k should be easy as pie.

fast95pony
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Started 10Km training last week.I ran a total of 40Km in March.
I also lost 10lbs in March.

I hope to run a total of 80km+ in April...and lose another 5-8lbs..

Khyron
04-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
..I dont worry about the clothes though, people who run in spandex and all that hardcore neoprene shit are fags. its funny when they get passed by a dude in bermuda jam shorts and a fresh white T.

Run 10K in a cotton Tshirt, and tell me what happens to your nipples. :P It's painful enough that often times people need to put bandaids over them to stop the chaffing. A tight compression shirt is breathable without the chaffing. Most runners have loose running shorts and only wear spandex shorts underneath if their thighs are rubbing.

If your looking at ironman/triathlon runners, you basically have to run in a swimsuit.

GTS Jeff
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Run 10K in a cotton Tshirt, and tell me what happens to your nipples. :P It's painful enough that often times people need to put bandaids over them to stop the chaffing. A tight compression shirt is breathable without the chaffing. Most runners have loose running shorts and only wear spandex shorts underneath if their thighs are rubbing.

If your looking at ironman/triathlon runners, you basically have to run in a swimsuit. If t-shirts chafe your nipples, then maybe you have bitch tits?

adam c
04-15-2007, 12:11 PM
if i could figure out a way to get to work without having to take McKnight i would bike everyday

Hakkola
04-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
If t-shirts chafe your nipples, then maybe you have bitch tits?

I had the same problem in the army doing long marches, our army supplied t-shirts were cotton, I had to put bandages over my nipples. Maybe it's my bitch tits. :dunno:

GTS Jeff
04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I had the same problem in the army doing long marches, our army supplied t-shirts were cotton, I had to put bandages over my nipples. Maybe it's my bitch tits. :dunno: Yeah probably. :D

Khyron
04-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
If t-shirts chafe your nipples, then maybe you have bitch tits?

Thus a pretty good reason to be out running, eh?

Though seriously I found it got worse the thinner I get. Adidas compression shirts for 15 bucks at Sears, work great. Run for comfort above all else, as long as nothing nasty is hanging out.

Oz-
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I find that bandaids work great. Just seems that I forget the distance that I am going out for that day and put on a cotton shirt. By the time I get back I have a little bit of blood.

Most of my gear now is with comfort in mind, as a poorly placed blister can keep you off the trails for much longer then you want.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2007, 08:55 AM
I ran 5k on saturday and again yesterday and today, first time jogging although I do several different styles of biking (bmx, freeride, x-country).

1st run - 26:48:94
2nd run - 26:59:78
3rd run - 25:05:35

sexualbanana
04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
you guys should check out the hbc run for canada on canada day. it's a 10k race to support olympic athletes.

kaishen
04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
i dont think you mention your age, if you are someone young, 5k at 44mins is really rather slow, you should try to aim at a faster pace the next round! my timing will be ard 20mins. one thing which helped me was listening to mp3 or praying or keeping your minds occupied

56mins for running 10km/cutting through 3km of sandy beach

10km-56mins
21km-1hr 53mins

10km in a cotton tshirt is still okay unless yours is really clinging onto your body, i will usually prefer a singlet though

that really reminds me of a few interesting runs i had:

my last interesting run-- a 3km scenic jog ard lake okanagan at peachland. the view was simple awesome, but the slope was simply steep

before that was a 15km race when i was in army. The track covers 2 islands and halfway through the run, we had to take infantry boats across and running across metallic link bridges

cant say i run fast but i have good stamina, thats why i enjoy long distance running.

kaishen
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
wanted to run for canada day last year as i happen to be there at that duration but it was just too expensive for me, and you had to get up so early in the morning to run at prince's island which i had no idea abt. Guess it was i good choice that i dint, there were too many mosquitoes last year at that time! =)

BoS_DC2
04-24-2007, 02:46 PM
in gr 9, I was able to do 2.4k run in a decent 9:03, now i can't run for shit!

Any Ideas on shoes that are below $115?

Khyron
04-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Go to the running room and have them tell you what type of shoe you need. Then try on a bunch and buy whatever feels best. Most are lower than your price anyway.

grocko
04-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Gords Running Store just off of Centre Street....ask for Mark :thumbsup: he's a teammate and good friend...definately knows his shit when it comes to shoes...might get a 15% discount too

Asics all the way.......