PDA

View Full Version : Guys I Really Need Your Help!!! Considering a lemon!!!

funkedelic
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
heres the story:

a couple months ago my brother was on the search for a nice car,

these were our options:
scion tc ( found out there illegal here)
rsx type s
fd
bmw 3 series

something new and reliable

anyways, he decide to get an rsx. cool, so we found one with the works every toy you can think of, but unfortunatly it broke. and probably still not fixed. anyways we found another one from inlinesix we went to calgary and we gave her our offer but she sold it to her other offer an hour later. ok cool. no prob.

this is where im at,
we found another rsx. the perfect car. the perfect color and we think it was built with good taste.
so we go ahead and pm him and talk about the car back and forth. the car needs body work no prob. we dont care. he sends me pics of damage , no prob. we can live with it and fix it.
to me it looked like he hit a wall, no he said someone backed into him and they were only scratches not dents, but they are dented in the car, whatever i dont care we can fix that.

heres my problem.

so we tell him ok were buying your car at asking price he was asking $17,500obo.
my brothers loan is at 20,000 he was gonna use the rest to fix it.
so he comes down with the car. its beautiful. he takes my brother for a ride, my bro loves it.
so we go to our loaner to give him the check for 17.500
but the finnace guy tells us the check wasent ready because my brother forgot to sign the contract. and this is friday. so he had to make an appointment for monday because it was almost closing hours.
the seller is very upset just like anyone would be. i would be pissed off s well.
but the accountant guarntees he would have a check monday sent courier overnight so he should have it by tuesday.
he leaves the car at the dealer becase the dealer is buying the car and selling it to us. and there no point of driving it back to calgary. because of extra kms.
ok everything is cool..

he told us before he left that before we drive the car we have to let it warm up a couple of minutes because theres a new clutch and it has to warm up first. its a stage II racing clutch. whatever cool.so anyways he heads home and were all excited about this new car mint condition in the inside he took good care of the insiide and the engine bay looks clean as well.

so here the reason im writing all this bullshit....
friday night im searching for spoiler on beyond couldnt find one i sent a pm to inlinesix asking to sell me hers because i know she had an extra one.
so i go to dc5ab forums looking for one and i find this:link (http://www.dc5ab.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=52&t=12309&)

and this

link2 (http://www.dc5ab.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=10&t=12223&st=0)

so whaever it looked like he fixed it.

my friend who sold me my charger told me to take out the rims from the car or they will get stolen because they had a few things stolen on there lot. he told me your gonna have a broken window and stolen rims if you dont. so we take his advice and drive the car 2 blocks away to my house and put the rims in the garage.

this is where it gets intresting. the car wont start it turns over but wont start. after 5 minutes its starts. we let it warm up like he said , and drive across the street to my garage to put hte rims there. i shit you not the car idles at probably 500 rpms and dies.
the car stalled on me like 4 times tryin to drive 2 blocks away. i got to 3rs gear and then the car would stall while in motion.
i can go outside and video tape me to prove im not lyin. oh and i forgot the check engine light goes on. so what the fuck am i supposed to do? i can take this to the pms but he already lied to me.

im just scared right now because my brother is going into a 20,000 dollar debt and i dont want him to be fixing anything thats why i bought an charger its brand new and would last me a while without worrying about about fixing things espeacially an engine.

we really want this car he loves it but im just worried about how reliable it really is. wouldnt you? what do you think i should do?
its sunday and i was thinking of taking it to honda tomorrow to get it check out.do you think i should bother taking it to get checked out?

im just really disappointed.
we dont really care about the money we just want a care free car for the next couples of years.

if this is not a big deal or an easy fix then i will ask to nuke this thread but in the mean time im asking you guys for any suggestions. do you think this is a huge problem?
help pls

RickDaTuner
03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
if the money has not made it to the seller then stop that by all mean necessary so that you can give the car back to him

carzcraz
03-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
if the money has not made it to the seller then stop that by all mean necessary so that you can give the car back to him

I would be inclined to do the same thing.

Not that it probably matters now, but was the car taken to a shop to do a pre-purchase inspection?

LittleAngel
03-18-2007, 07:39 PM
the check engine light obviously is why the car is running poor. i would take it there, it will probably cost you 100 bucks to check the engine light which will give them a code and there you go, there is your problem...
did you do an inspection before you bought the car, if you didnt then i would say thats not too smart.

i work in a service department at a dealership and ive seen engine lights come on to cause things as simple as a hose being disconnected, or a gas cap loose to a o2 sensor or an ECM...

RickDaTuner
03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by LittleAngel
the check engine light obviously is why the car is running poor. i would take it there, it will probably cost you 100 bucks to check the engine light which will give them a code and there you go, there is your problem...

The check engine light is an indicator of a malfunction and not the source of the problem

I have a code reader and would be willing to pull the code for you for free, but on the links to the other threads on DC5AB the codes pulled are mentioned.

From a semi educated view, it seems like a bad coil pack, or a bent valve like it was mentioned on the other forum

Sharpie
03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
You spend $17500 on a car and dont bother to get a $100 inspection? You just take his word for everything? Like rick said if you can, stop the cheque..

funkedelic
03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by plasma69
HOUSTON WE GOT A FKN PROBLEM....

code is PO303, that means cylinder 3 misfire detected.... oh fuckin great.... DUDE!!!

That was one of the codes that I was getting when my engine went boom....That could be a bent valve.

yes i read on Vtech temple, they said the same. how do i check that? and or fix it.... fuck me....... seriously... great another cel came on. same thing PO303 but this time, i pushed the next button and it showed me PO172, which is running too rich. so that tells me that it could be my 02 sensor? or fuel not gettin to the cylinders.

Are you using your race header?
Could be that its just because you dont have a cat?

before they edit

Tik-Tok
03-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic

he leaves the car at the dealer becase the dealer is buying the car and selling it to us.

First off... why did it go down like that? You found a car, seller sold it to a dealer right in front of you, and the dealer sold it to you? That makes no sense to me to have a middle man like that.

Secondly, unless you have a stipulation in your bill of sale, something to the effect of "upon satisfactory inspection", your gonna be screwed, I believe.

A seller is legally forced to tell you about any accidents the car may have been in, but not if he blew the engine up on his own.

Basically, if your bill of sale says, "as is, where is", it's your problem now.

7thgenvic
03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
bent valves! happened on my bro's type S. but he had a comtech race header and buddy club exhaust. the only reason i say this, is because you could really hear the motor dying through its new pitch, and the way its stalling out like you say. i can almost guarantee this is the problem.

MEANING. new head, valves, springs. and machined head again.

MY ADVICE...don't buy that fucking car.

As for damiens car. that shit is going into a shop this week to get the exhaust leak fixed. Bent valves>turbo problem

Crymson
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I would have to side with the folks saying "if you can buy a 20,000$ car, you can pay for a 150$ pre-purchase inspection"

funkedelic
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
tik-tok we did not buy the car yet we were going to friday but we had a small set back.
were still intrested in this car, right now im just very disappointed.

if i go to honda what exactly should i tell them to check? to take off the head? like i said before if its the coil or something easy then this wouldnt be a problem but if its the valves then were not buying the car for sure.

if its bent valves how does the car still drive?

dude we dream of dameins car but he wont return my calls tell him to call me:drool:

Weapon_R
03-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Why are you still considering it? It's not that great a price, it sounds about as beat as you can get for a car that year, and if you look you'll find a much better one. If you haven't paid yet, turn around and RUN.

jdmXSI
03-18-2007, 11:23 PM
leave the car be and buy something else! This might just be something saying DONT BUY THAT CAR!

Good luck!:thumbsup:

7thgenvic
03-18-2007, 11:26 PM
bent vavles. they can test that with a simple compression test. The car will idle HORRRIBLE and stall out. that is usually a good sign. and the way you are describing it. I can tell you right now that is PRobably the problem.

Damiens car is going in to get that problem checked out. he hasn't been able to get it into this shop till now.

funkedelic
03-18-2007, 11:52 PM
thank you for who ever edited the threads name but i did not purchase anything, no bill of sale, no money exchanged,
i was supposed to do it tomorrow. lucky the cheque wasent ready on friday because he would of took it.

i still havent talked to him because i dont know what to say. im still in shock or in denail that someone can do this.

88CRX
03-19-2007, 06:21 AM
im still in shock or in denail that someone can do this.

Are you seriously that naivee?

Dont buy the car, its that simple.

a1jatt
03-19-2007, 07:18 AM
That is why dealers are still in business. If it was a dealer you could take it back , if he would not you could go to court , Fair trading act would help you there.

BigMass
03-19-2007, 07:41 AM
It's going to be hard to tell whats wrong with it. I'd take it to an aftermarket tuning shop over the dealership though since all those mods could easily be the contributing factor. Even with simple bolt-ons a car may need to be re-tuned. A lot of people that don't like to spend money think all bolt-ons are plug and play. Make a post on the RSX forums and get people that know what K-Pro is to look at it. Chances are the dealership won't know shit when it comes to aftermarket ECU tunes mods like K-Pro

On another note, you're not responsible to buy the car when in reality it doesn't work. Before you get too upset and start raising shit talk to the seller and try and work it out between the both of you. Call him up "hey man, the car wouldnt start and when it finally did, it dies when it idles, why didnt you tell me this upfront?" etc. See what he says.

BoS_DC2
03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
If he's still interested in the car after all this then let him buy the lemon, it's his brother's money anyways.

That's gotta suck to have a seller hide this much info, I mean, when I bought my car, the seller only did not tell me about the Rad being needed to be replaced and that's it.

GL 2 U.

carzcraz
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
In my opinion, your brother is better off looking for another RSX that has seen better days.

There are tons of them for sale...both locally and in BC (purchase one there, and make a fun road trip out of it). He should take his time looking for another one since he's spending this much $$.

rm777
03-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Stay away from this car. It sounds like your emotions are getting the best of you right now. Save the $100 inspection fee for the next car you find.

BlueFrenzy
03-20-2007, 01:45 AM
^^ I agree completely with rm777 ... it's very easy to fall in love with the car/deal. For 20 thousand or so, you can get a decent UNMODDED rsx ... that way you can do the mods yourself properly and know exactly what's going into the car.

Just a quick look on driving.ca found me this in Alberta
http://driving.canada.com/buy/used/results.spy?makename=Acura&model=RSX&province=1

Pass on this one and keep looking

inline6turbo
03-20-2007, 03:29 AM
sorry to hear you're encountering all these problems finding a rsx.
but don't walk into a lemon like this
obviously your brother is on a very tight budget and should anything else go wrong you dont want him to be left stranded.
there are tons of rsx's for sale these days. don't buy something you're not 100% sure on. and always get an inspection.
You seemed like very nice guys when you came and looked at my car, I hope everything works out in the end for you. and if he does get a rsx, and wants my spoiler still, message me up. :)

ca18det240sx
03-20-2007, 06:21 AM
If that rsx has bent valves....how much torture has the bottom end seen as well. i know its a honda, and they are known to be bulletproof....but theres only so much any engine can take.

i wouldnt even think about it anymore. Say you actually did fix the head...again...hows the bottom end. Probly i would say its ....cocking shite.

TorqueDog
03-20-2007, 07:25 PM
There's a 17 year old kid selling an RSX, isn't there? Slight front driver's side body damage. :rofl:

dave_z28
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
There's a 17 year old kid selling an RSX, isn't there? Slight front driver's side body damage. :rofl:

ROFL thats just nasty, but funny as all hell :P

Im with the majority here in saying STAY AWAY FROM THAT CAR!!! Find another, there were LOTS made ;)

-dave

ZMan2k2
03-21-2007, 08:33 AM
funkadelic, check your PM's. It's not much, but it could help you decide.

zieg
03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

I'm glad SOMEONE said it. :rofl:

asuth077
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Can we get an update?

funkedelic
03-23-2007, 12:18 AM
so we took it to honda they said the valvels were not bent but out of place, so they adjusted them to the correct position the seller lowered the price by 2gs but if anything happens in the future we would be responsible for it. the car idles fine now and starts every time. so now we just play the waiting game to seee if it happens again.
thank you everyone for your support this would of beeen a smooth sale if the seller would of been more open about the past of the vehicle. this could be a lesson for veryone in the future to inspect a car before buying...

:drama:

:closed:

we hope......

ricosuave
03-24-2007, 07:55 AM

we hope......

pfft. 'we hope', man thats just ASKING for trouble.

i sincerely hope you probe everyone wrong in this thread.

price knocked by 2K? sounds too easy to me. oh well, its not my $20K

good luck.

RickDaTuner
03-24-2007, 12:27 PM
so we took it to honda they said the valvels were not bent but out of place, so they adjusted them to the correct position the seller lowered the price by 2gs but if anything happens in the future we would be responsible for it. the car idles fine now and starts every time. so now we just play the waiting game to seee if it happens again.
thank you everyone for your support this would of beeen a smooth sale if the seller would of been more open about the past of the vehicle. this could be a lesson for veryone in the future to inspect a car before buying...

we hope......

sorry but this just screams hidden damages, good luck with the car at any rate

garyb
03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
haha thats awsome, after all that they still bought it. wow...

TorqueDog
03-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know, I'd probably have turned in the other direction and run like the friggin' wind to have discovered those issues when seeing the car. It shakes my confidence in the vehicle and the manner in which it was driven/maintained.

bluetek
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
lowering the price by 2g's just like that?? something else is up

walk away man, walk away!!

funkedelic
03-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Well we paid 16 for it he was askin 20 with the car scratches painted. The guys at honda fixed the problem. The car runs like a dream now(after the prob)
He's happy with it. I don't care I bought a spanking new charger R/T I see him driving around town happy so I'm happy. If any thing happens ill be sure to tell you guys. We even going to the. Spring cruise so well see you guys there

stardotstar
03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Since you guys have bought this car I assume from your previous posting.

If idle is acting up, try cleaning the IAC valve: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=288936

Reset the ECU since the ECU learns the fuel maps over time. Might want to find out the code for the radio if you do this.

My idle sometimes drops to 500 or so, but it has never stalled out on me. That's because the car isn't properly tuned with my K-Pro and it's not winter tuned friendly :)

Double check www.clubrsx.com it'll be more handy

msommers
03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
he told us before he left that before we drive the car we have to let it warm up a couple of minutes because theres a new clutch and it has to warm up first. its a stage II racing clutch. whatever cool.

Warming up the clutch before you drive? WTF I have never heard of this.

SR240SX
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Your brother is really gonna regret buying that car...i would never buy a car with valves that wer "out of place" ..thats when you know the driver didnt take very good care of it in the first place..you dont just get a new honda with problems like this..its a honda!

BigMass
03-29-2007, 07:02 AM
don't even know why you'd need a racing clutch in a Type S unless it's turboed and pushing 300-400hp